British and Commonwealth Military Knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
smiling-knife

British and Commonwealth Military Knives

Post by smiling-knife »

The basic army-issue clasp knife with marline spike and tin opener in the first part of the 1900s was the pattern 6353/1905. It first appeared in 1905 and remained basically the same until the start of WWII. The original spec comprised of stag scales. The first knife in pic 1 is an example made by Hunter Sheffield and marked with the Broad Arrow and I for use by troops in India.

Just before WWI, in 1913, the specs were updated. The scales were changed from stag to chequered horn. The three attachments to be made of the best 'cast steel'. The overall length closed is 4 7/8 inches with the spear blade 3 1/2 inches from kick to point. The shackle made from number 11 guage copper wire. These were the basic GI folder in WWI. Two typical examples seen in pic 1 made by Jos Rodgers & Sons and Frank Mills. Both marked with W arrow D; the War Department mark.

Next are three examples of circa WW1 knives for use by Canadian Forces. The first is the typical British 6353 knife made by Wostenholm, but marked on the spike with the Canadian broad arrow inside a C. The middle knife is the same basic spec made by Thomas Turner & Co but with metal scales. The handle is marked with M & D for Militia and Defense 1915. The last knife in the photo was made for the Canadian forces by Schatt & Morgan of Titusville PA. Beautiful bone scales on the this one and a nail nick on the can opener is different from the Sheffield-made knives.

While not an official issue knife, the jack knives with tin opener and bone scales were included in gift boxes sent to the troops during WWI. This example was made by Wade and Butcher.

Please feel free to add knives, cooments or questions. Thanks for looking. :D s-k
Rust Never Sleeps
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: WWI British and Commonwealth Knives

Post by jonet143 »

great show and tell steve. very informative and great knives.
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

Great looking old knives and great history ta boot!! ::tu::
johnnierotten

So far,So good...So What!!
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Thanks for your comment guys... much appreciated. :D s-k
Rust Never Sleeps
Cope

Post by Cope »

Steve can you shoot me an email? I had your email but lost it.

Thanks, Brad

CopenatorX@aol.com
zorrothegreyblade

Post by zorrothegreyblade »

It's been a while since I posted here, not had anything to contribute but I have been dropping by now and again for a look-see! :D

I have some family momentos from WW1 which ties in with this thread and which will give a flavour of the time, so may I introduce Archie?
Attachments
This is my grandad, he would have been 18 or 19 years old at the time this was taken in 1914 and was a reservist in the teritorial army. He was among the first troops to be sent fron England to Belgium to fight in WW1
This is my grandad, he would have been 18 or 19 years old at the time this was taken in 1914 and was a reservist in the teritorial army. He was among the first troops to be sent fron England to Belgium to fight in WW1
He sent this post card to grandma. She still had his army issue knife when I was a kid and used the can opener in her kitchen.
He sent this post card to grandma. She still had his army issue knife when I was a kid and used the can opener in her kitchen.
As you can see, Archie was a man of few words!
As you can see, Archie was a man of few words!
The first Christmas of the war, and the troops received a card from the princess Mary and gift boxes, I think this was when the "gift" knives were distributed.
The first Christmas of the war, and the troops received a card from the princess Mary and gift boxes, I think this was when the "gift" knives were distributed.
This is the message in the Christmas card. He was to serve for three years untill 1917 when he was badly wounded and returned to England on a hospital ship. he survived into his 60's and I have fond memories of him from when I was a small child.
This is the message in the Christmas card. He was to serve for three years untill 1917 when he was badly wounded and returned to England on a hospital ship. he survived into his 60's and I have fond memories of him from when I was a small child.
stop me when I get boring
zorrothegreyblade

Nearly forgot these! :oops:

Frank Mills "gift" knife.

Two by Rodgers, army and navy issue, the army pattern still being used untill the end of the 30's.

The replacement army pattern, bottom, a Taylors eye witness dated 1939.

smiling-knife

Re: British and Commonwealth Military Knives

Post by smiling-knife »

Thank-you very much zorro for sharing that aspect of your family history. It give the knives some valuable historical context. Thanks also for showing the change in pattern that took place around the time of the start of WWII. I changed the title of the thread so we can carry on from there. :D s-k
Rust Never Sleeps
Gunsmoke47
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Gunsmoke47 »

Very cool knives and history Zorro! ::tu:: ::tu:: I love stories like this one.
zorrothegreyblade

By the end of 1939, the standard British army issue clasp knife was now the smaller patern, with a modified can opener

From the left, 1939 Richards, 1943 W&S Butcher, 1945 "Burma" knife by Thomas Turner, and a post war 1953 J H Thompson, which evolved into the modern NATO knife still used today. There were many variations on these standard themes, no marlin spike, no shackle, different scale materials, but these are the most common I am aware of.

The standard bexoid handled knife with marlin spike inspired many civilian copies.

From the left again, William Rodgers, Richards and a C Johnson & co with buffalo scales.

This G Ibberson (top) looks like it was made using burma side plates and springs, no WD mark so probably also civilian.

Another unusual one, this J Allen (center) has the early longer spear point blade with the later tin opener design, again no WD mark.

This is a 1940 J Clarke&Son, no marlin spike and flat scales, very little wear so may well have been issued to a desk jockey! :mrgreen:

Finally, here is one I cannot get to the bottom of, it may not even be military, tang stamp PROPAT.18230/44 Sheffield, no makers mark. I suspect the mark to mean provisional patent, 18230, date 1944, which could make it a prototype far east Army or possibly Navy knife which was not adopted.

As usual with my posts, please feel free to correct or add anything, all wellcome, thanks for looking. :)
jonet143
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jonet143 »

thanks Z, great history.
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.
johnnierotten

Post by johnnierotten »

Awesome,Zorro!! ::tu::
johnnierotten

So far,So good...So What!!
gringo

Post by gringo »

wow, how did i miss this thread?
fantastic collection zorro
the frank mills had me staring at the screen. ::drool::
zorrothegreyblade

Thanks guys, glad you like em. :D
greyelm

Post by greyelm »

This is said to be "L.C.SIMMONS KEEN KUTTER ST.LOUIS USA". It looks similar to the Canadian issue knife, I haven't received it yet so I can give any more information on the composition of the handle. Were these made by Keen Kutter and could it be military issue?
Attachments
Keen Kutter
Keen Kutter
kkknife.jpg (24.96 KiB) Viewed 73309 times
Another Knife Collector

Post by Another Knife Collector »

Great thread! :) everyone has some excellant things to share!

greyelm, according to Levine's guide that Keen Kutter is a contract knife made by Camillus Cutlery for an allied navy either French or Canadian c1915.

My great grandfather served in the navy in WWI. I don't have any equiptment of his unfortunately, but I do have a great war photo album full of his. I'll try to post a couple pictures later if anyone's intersted.

Shown is an E M Dickenson Sheffield knife, I don't beleive it's military.
Attachments
P1050668.JPG
-Phil
greyelm

Post by greyelm »

Thanks for the information. I'm pleased that it is a Camillus contract knive as I collect Camillus knives. I eventually found the reference in my LG3 (I should have looked before I posted) and mine does have the checkered black fibre handles. I got it for $18 (USD) incl postage, for me thats a good price for a 90 year old knife.

I hope this thread keeps going, there are some interesting knives on show.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Another Knife Collector wrote:Great thread! :)

My great grandfather served in the navy in WWI. I don't have any equiptment of his unfortunately, but I do have a great war photo album full of his. I'll try to post a couple pictures later if anyone's intersted.
I can't speak for the others, but I really enjoy seeing those old photos.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Another Knife Collector

Here's a few shots by my great grandpa Clyde C. Thomas. One shot even has knives in it. Pictures help imagine where some of those old knives have been! Hope you enjoy!
Attachments
explosion_off_stern.jpg
knife_throwing.jpg
guitar.jpg
blimp.jpg
float plane.jpg
-Phil
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

AKC;
All I can say is WOW. If you have more photos please post, you can photo shop these and the resolution can be greatly improved. You have the makings of a terrific blog with a web site. There could be many variations. This appears to be U.S. Navy so as not to hijack Steves thread you might want to start your own.
moss

Edited to add: I wonder if the guy sleeping lived through the throwing. Did anyone else notice the chefs knife stuck beside his left leg.
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
gringo

Post by gringo »

" I wonder if the guy sleeping lived through the throwing. Did anyone else notice the chefs knife stuck beside his left leg."

i noticed the one by his neck...?
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Gringo:
Neat catch, I didn't even look on that side, What do you think was this real or posed? If real that sailor either was not very well liked or had cajones the size of watermelons.
moss
Edit for add: Is that a double ended pocket knife sticking over his right shoulder?
Another Knife Collector

I'm glad you enjoy them, I thought those would help picture where some of the knives here might have been. I'll post more later in off topic converstion as to not hijack such a great thread.

To get back on track here's a cute little knife, a Sykes-Fairbairn. :)
Attachments
P1050866.JPG
P1050866.JPG (85.92 KiB) Viewed 23573 times
-Phil
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Here is my Sykes and a Made in Sheffield Rope Knife.
moss
Attachments
img892.jpg
George21

Post by George21 »

Whats the purpose of the 'spike' on these knives? I got one today for a couple of quid. Having trouble reading the makers mark but will check back when I have it cleaned up a bit.

It definately says Sheffield on it. And perhaps... Venture or Adventure or something of the sort.

The can opener bit is snapped off but the majority of it remains.
George, Bristol UK

"Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one's definition of your life; define yourself."

"The greatest oak was once a little nut who held its ground."

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”