British and Commonwealth Military Knives

A place to discuss military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
wornoutwrench

Re: British and Commonwealth Military Knives

Postby wornoutwrench » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:57 am

Not quite a pocket knife but here is an Australian combat knife from WW II. They ended up with Americans too. Its a bit out of line with my collecting.. wouldn't mind trading it for a nice old 5165 or similar.
Attachments
SN851930.JPG
Experience keeps a dear school but fools will learn in no other.

Not all who disagree with wise men are fools.

danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby danno50 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:59 pm

Here is a Camillus made Canadian WWI knife. Orvet posted one similar in the Camillus subforum. Closed length is 5". It does not appear to have the regular broad arrow stamp, however, there are a couple dings in the marlin spike which may be a misstamping of the broad arrow (pic 3).
Dan
Attachments
RIMG0416.JPG
RIMG0422.JPG
Dan

danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby danno50 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:00 pm

Hit submit when I meant to add another photo. Showing the dings in the marlin spike which may be a mistamped broad arrow?
Dan
Attachments
RIMG0424.JPG
Dan

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Miller Bro's » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:53 am

Nice find Dan ::tu::
AAPK Janitor

danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby danno50 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:36 am

Thanks Dimitri.
Dan
Dan

cody6268

Postby cody6268 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:09 am

Alex K. wrote:M346; W.R. Case & Son made this pattern knife for Canada during WWII ....According to Mr. Flook's book : "The World War Two period US Navy knives were made by W.R. Case...between 1940 and 1942 and bore the mark CASE XX on the blade. The knives made by Case during the war for the Canadians carried the CASE XX METAL STAMPINGS LTD mark...The early POST-WAR Canadian made knives were produced between 1948 and 1949 by the Case subsidiary W.R. Case and Sons of Canada Ltd, Pictou, Nova Scotia. These knives bear the M.S. LTD XX mark."

Closed Length: 4 7/8 inches

1) Sheepfoot: 3 3/4 inches
2) Marlin Spike 4 inches
3) Punch Blade 1 5/8 inches
______
Alex

Here's the M.S. Ltd. Canadian Navy Knife. Paid $20 shipped for it off Ebay and it arrived today. Problem is, instead of leaving it up the buyer, the seller cleaned it a little too roughly. He used coarse steel wool or a wire brush, as scratches abound. He did an awful job, as the "punch" as you refer to it (I thought it was a can opener), bail, and spine of blade still have signs of rust. I didn't know this until arrival, but the backspring on the blade is cracked, but doesn't affect snap that much, but may be why the marlinspike is wobbly. Thanks for the info, I'd thought it was made during WWII, not after.

Marlinspike does an awesome job at what it's intended for--made quick work of a bootlace that was in a knotted mess. I won't be using it for anything other than that, it will be going into the collection. I'll get another British Navy Knife (I prefer those with the black checkered handles) to use, which was what I was doing when I came across this one. Like the electrician's pattern already has, the British Navy Pattern I presume will multiply quickly in my collection, as I plan to get another I can actually use. This one's too rare.

It's quite large compared to a Case electrician's knife

Photo0580.jpg

Closeup of "Broad Arrow" inside of the letter "C" stamp.

Photo0577.jpg

Sheepsfoot Blade:

Photo0578.jpg

Closeup of tang stamp:

Photo0579.jpg

Punch blade:

Photo0581.jpg

Marlinspike:

Photo0582.jpg

sakoblade

Postby sakoblade » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:08 pm

I'm a new member from Sweden and I thought I'd start out here with my only military issued knife so far, a British one made by W&S Butcher Sheffield.

It is marked as such and has a Broadarrow and 1943 but has no marlin spike.

They did a sloppy job when marking the blade but the knife is in decent shape for being over 70 years old.

I am not sure which forces they issued these knives to?

Thanks for looking!

Jim
Attachments
IMG_7874.JPG
W&S Butcher WWII issued knife
IMG_7876.JPG
W&S Butcher markings
Want to buy or trade knives with Sako (Firearms) and Seiko (Wristwatches) logos and advertising.

smiling-knife

Postby smiling-knife » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:47 pm

Hi Jim, Welcome on board. That's a nice example of a WWII British Army knife. There were a number of variation on this pattern. There were two piece patterns, like your knife, and three piece models with a marline spike. Some, especially earlier in WWII, had steel bolsters.
Rust Never Sleeps

sakoblade

Postby sakoblade » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:55 am

smiling-knife, thank you for the welcome! :)

Do you happen to know to which units these two piece patterns were issued to? And why the two patterns? Was it simply the fact that they wanted a less expensive knife and omitted the marlin spike?

Nevertheless, I really like this one and it fits very well in my small Sheffield collection and I hope to expand that section when I can.

Have a great weekend!

Jim
Want to buy or trade knives with Sako (Firearms) and Seiko (Wristwatches) logos and advertising.

smiling-knife

Postby smiling-knife » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:43 am

Hi Jim, No sorry I don't know about the specific units. I think they were widely distributed. This is the three piece version.
Hope you have a great weekend too.
Attachments
WWII-31 023.jpg
Rust Never Sleeps

sakoblade

Postby sakoblade » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:17 pm

smiling-knife wrote:Hi Jim, No sorry I don't know about the specific units. I think they were widely distributed. This is the three piece version.
Hope you have a great weekend too.

Thanks for sharing!!

As a former Naval officer I have a thing for Navy items and I might, eventually, focus my collecting on such knives. For now, I'm just a hoarder! :mrgreen:

Jim

smiling-knife

Postby smiling-knife » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:29 pm

Hi Jim, As you mentioned Navy knives, these are the standard British Navy patterns from WWI and WWII respectively. The WWI era knife is the Admiralty pattern 301 and was in service from 1910 to the 1930s. In the 1930s they went from stag to metal alloy handles. The pattern evolved and became smaller in WWII.
Attachments
015-12-07 002.jpg
015-12-07 005.jpg
JR42-1.jpg
JR42-2.jpg
Rust Never Sleeps

sakoblade

Postby sakoblade » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:20 am

Now I'm smiling too Mr smiling-knife! :D

Thanks for the pics and the history! I will certainly keep looking for British knives but they are not easy to find over here.

By the way, is there any good reference litterature out there?

Cheers!

Jim

tjmurphy

Postby tjmurphy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:22 pm

I posted this one in "General Knife Discussion" but I think it would feel right at home here also.

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
s-l1600 (3).jpg
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.

sakoblade

Postby sakoblade » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:32 pm

tjmurphy wrote:I posted this one in "General Knife Discussion" but I think it would feel right at home here also.

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600 (4).jpgs-l1600 (3).jpg

tjmurpjy, it is awesome!! :shock: Congratulations on a great find!

Jim

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”