What Izzit?

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

What Izzit?

Post by QTCut5 »

...is what I asked my friend who made it when he presented this to me. ::shrug::

It's made of apricot wood and measures approximately 11" in length.

Anyone have any idea what the intended purpose of this curiously shaped "tool" is? ::hmm::
Attachments
P6230010.JPG
P6230009.JPG
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Re: What Izzit?

Post by geocash »

Atlatl?
geocash
eveled

Post by eveled »

It looks like its shaped to fit the inside of a jar. To scrape the sides and the curve at the top and bottom.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

eveled wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:46 pm It looks like its shaped to fit the inside of a jar. To scrape the sides and the curve at the top and bottom.
I agree, it would be handy for peanut butter jars. Very pretty wood grain, nice piece.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It is a Hawaiian Haole whacker, used to clear a way through mobs of obese pasty white tourists.
kj
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

eveled wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:46 pm It looks like its shaped to fit the inside of a jar. To scrape the sides and the curve at the top and bottom.
C-WADE7 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:52 pm I agree, it would be handy for peanut butter jars. Very pretty wood grain, nice piece.
You nailed it!!! ::tu:: ::nod::

Apparently there's an accompanying "mostly true story" about some sailors serving on a submarine who either smuggled a big jar of peanut butter onto the boat or stole one from the kitchen onboard and when they got down to the bottom of the jar/tub discovered they didn't have anything long enough to reach the remaining spread. One of the men had a shoe horn with a long handle that he re-fashioned into a "jar bottom-scraper" which gave my friend the idea for this tool. Gotta respect that swabbie sea-dog innovation! :D
kootenay joe wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:18 pm It is a Hawaiian Haole whacker, used to clear a way through mobs of obese pasty white tourists.
kj
LOL! :lol: Actually, that's the second function of a longboard (reserved primarily for naïve, hapless Haoles who foolishly try to surf at a "locals only" reef break!) ::uc::
geocash wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:15 pmAtlatl?
Good guess...it does kinda look like one of those. ::nod::
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”