Wood carving projects

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
Doug51

Re: Wood carving projects

Post by Doug51 »

doglegg wrote:OC, typical of your very fine work. Always exceptional!!!! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Doug, I had a friend in Ohio many years ago that whittled his lures and used them. Yours looks great and the paint job as well. ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Thanks! Did you ever get a lure from him? My uncle is trying to talk me into carving a fish decoy for spearing.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Doug51 wrote:
doglegg wrote:OC, typical of your very fine work. Always exceptional!!!! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Doug, I had a friend in Ohio many years ago that whittled his lures and used them. Yours looks great and the paint job as well. ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Thanks! Did you ever get a lure from him? My uncle is trying to talk me into carving a fish decoy for spearing.
Doug, at the time I was interested in neither fishing or whittling so I never did get one from him. The idea of a fish decoy sounds interesting. Would you make it out of bass wood or a heaver wood? ::shrug::
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

doglegg wrote:
Doug51 wrote:
Doug, at the time I was interested in neither fishing or whittling so I never did get one from him. The idea of a fish decoy sounds interesting. Would you make it out of bass wood or a heaver wood? ::shrug::
The fish decoy I've seen we're basswood and they used lead weights in them to keep them from floating. Spearing pike through the ice. I'm not much of a fisherman. I like to hunt my food!:-)
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Although I have not yet made one, I have this fish decoy pattern book done by Anthony Hillman in 1993. It has 17 patterns for carving fish decoys. For those of you who have not seen how fish decoys were used by the Native Americans, this drawing is from inside the pattern book.
IMG_3050.JPG
IMG_3051.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Cool book and drawing OC, made me cold seeing him lying on the ice fishing. Making a living has always been a little hard I guess. Thanks for the information and sharing. ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

Nice book OC! I'll have to see if I can find a copy. You should carve out a couple. I seen a program last winter about a guy here in Michigan that made fish decoys. They get right into the movement of the decoy in the water. Way beyond anything I know.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I finished up some more projects over the weekend that were in the works for a while.
Desk pens turned from some laminated gunstock scrap (with maple bands) that a friend gave me.
IMG_3058.JPG
Pens turned from ironwood (with maple bands), really hard stuff with some great looking grain and color.
IMG_3059.JPG
Wire and canvas bluebill (14 1/2" overall length). I tried something new by using a painted nail head for an eye on this one.
IMG_3061.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

OC, those ironwood pens look super. And great idea on the eye. I always enjoy looking at your stuff. Thanks. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

Beautiful work on the pens! ::tu:: OC
A couple things I have been working on
IMG_20190926_130057849.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20190924_090108284.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Pumpkin is perfect project for the season. And the fish turned out good too! Thanks for sharing! ::nod:: ::tu::
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

doglegg wrote:Pumpkin is perfect project for the season. And the fish turned out good too! Thanks for sharing! ::nod:: ::tu::
Thanks. There's something kind of satisfying about a simple quick carving.
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

First time trying to get scale's on a fish.
Attachments
IMG_20191001_220335445.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Doug, that is amazing. Those scales look proportioned and very detailed. Wow, that is good. Did you use your case whittler? ::nod:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

doglegg wrote:Doug, that is amazing. Those scales look proportioned and very detailed. Wow, that is good. Did you use your case whittler? ::nod:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
Thanks! I used a Old Timer carving jack that had a little U shaped gouge to make the scales by just pressing it down hard to cut the scales in. And that little Bark River fixed blade to Rough it out and the Case Seahorse whittler to finish shaping everything.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

A good choice of tools. I have one of those Old Timers you are talking about. I don't find it as useful as I thought I would but it is handy for some things. Doug, I sure enjoy your sharing. ::handshake::
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

I was disappointed with the Old Timer tool. Mine came with every tool dull. I still haven't gotten them totally sharp. I got the idea from a video that Mike Stinnet did on u-tube. He used a tool to put the scales on snakes that he carves on canes and walking sticks. I was going to try it with a blade but the u tool was so much faster and more consistent.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I'm not sure which brand but they make a shaped fish scale wood burning tip in more than one size. If you look back at my mermaid I used a wood burner for her scales.
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

Mr Watch thanks for sharing. I'm thinking about investing in a better wood burner. I thought about wood burning the scales in but the cheap one I have the heat is very inconsistent. I was considering highlighting the scales with it to see how it might turn out. What do you think about doing that?
I think I'm going to try to make a small fishing fly to mount in the mouth to hang it by.
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

A whittle penguin 😁
Attachments
IMG_20200326_205908755.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great little penguin Doug. ::tu::
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

doglegg wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:13 pm Great little penguin Doug. ::tu::
::nod:: yup
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

Don't let the whittle things bug you!:-)
Attachments
IMG_20200327_102308595.jpg
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

Spring flowers whittled from match sticks and one toothpick with my Case Seahorse whittler.
IMG_20200329_101247792.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20200329_101519553.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Doug you have found your calling. ::nod:: ::nod::
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

doglegg wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:25 am Doug you have found your calling. ::nod:: ::nod::
I know just enough to laugh at myself!

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”