Wood carving projects

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
Doug51
Posts: 359
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:59 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Wood carving projects

Post by Doug51 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:48 pm

doglegg wrote:OC, typical of your very fine work. Always exceptional!!!! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Doug, I had a friend in Ohio many years ago that whittled his lures and used them. Yours looks great and the paint job as well. ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Thanks! Did you ever get a lure from him? My uncle is trying to talk me into carving a fish decoy for spearing.

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 7413
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:35 am
Location: Grand Prairie, Texas

Re: Wood carving projects

Post by doglegg » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:05 pm

Doug51 wrote:
doglegg wrote:OC, typical of your very fine work. Always exceptional!!!! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Doug, I had a friend in Ohio many years ago that whittled his lures and used them. Yours looks great and the paint job as well. ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Thanks! Did you ever get a lure from him? My uncle is trying to talk me into carving a fish decoy for spearing.
Doug, at the time I was interested in neither fishing or whittling so I never did get one from him. The idea of a fish decoy sounds interesting. Would you make it out of bass wood or a heaver wood? ::shrug::

Doug51
Posts: 359
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:59 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Wood carving projects

Post by Doug51 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:24 pm

doglegg wrote:
Doug51 wrote:
doglegg wrote:OC, typical of your very fine work. Always exceptional!!!! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Doug, I had a friend in Ohio many years ago that whittled his lures and used them. Yours looks great and the paint job as well. ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
Thanks! Did you ever get a lure from him? My uncle is trying to talk me into carving a fish decoy for spearing.
Doug, at the time I was interested in neither fishing or whittling so I never did get one from him. The idea of a fish decoy sounds interesting. Would you make it out of bass wood or a heaver wood? ::shrug::
The fish decoy I've seen we're basswood and they used lead weights in them to keep them from floating. Spearing pike through the ice. I'm not much of a fisherman. I like to hunt my food!:-)

User avatar
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1892
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:11 pm
Location: South Dakota

Re: Wood carving projects

Post by OLDE CUTLER » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:46 pm

Although I have not yet made one, I have this fish decoy pattern book done by Anthony Hillman in 1993. It has 17 patterns for carving fish decoys. For those of you who have not seen how fish decoys were used by the Native Americans, this drawing is from inside the pattern book.
IMG_3050.JPG
IMG_3051.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 7413
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:35 am
Location: Grand Prairie, Texas

Re: Wood carving projects

Post by doglegg » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:54 pm

Cool book and drawing OC, made me cold seeing him lying on the ice fishing. Making a living has always been a little hard I guess. Thanks for the information and sharing. ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::

Doug51
Posts: 359
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:59 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Wood carving projects

Post by Doug51 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:47 pm

Nice book OC! I'll have to see if I can find a copy. You should carve out a couple. I seen a program last winter about a guy here in Michigan that made fish decoys. They get right into the movement of the decoy in the water. Way beyond anything I know.

User avatar
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1892
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:11 pm
Location: South Dakota

Re: Wood carving projects

Post by OLDE CUTLER » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:27 pm

I finished up some more projects over the weekend that were in the works for a while.
Desk pens turned from some laminated gunstock scrap (with maple bands) that a friend gave me.
IMG_3058.JPG
Pens turned from ironwood (with maple bands), really hard stuff with some great looking grain and color.
IMG_3059.JPG
Wire and canvas bluebill (14 1/2" overall length). I tried something new by using a painted nail head for an eye on this one.
IMG_3061.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 7413
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:35 am
Location: Grand Prairie, Texas

Re: Wood carving projects

Post by doglegg » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:44 pm

OC, those ironwood pens look super. And great idea on the eye. I always enjoy looking at your stuff. Thanks. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::handshake::

Doug51
Posts: 359
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:59 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Wood carving projects

Post by Doug51 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:17 pm

Beautiful work on the pens! ::tu:: OC
A couple things I have been working on
IMG_20190926_130057849.jpg
Attachments
IMG_20190924_090108284.jpg

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 7413
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:35 am
Location: Grand Prairie, Texas

Re: Wood carving projects

Post by doglegg » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:30 pm

Pumpkin is perfect project for the season. And the fish turned out good too! Thanks for sharing! ::nod:: ::tu::

Doug51
Posts: 359
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:59 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Wood carving projects

Post by Doug51 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:36 pm

doglegg wrote:Pumpkin is perfect project for the season. And the fish turned out good too! Thanks for sharing! ::nod:: ::tu::
Thanks. There's something kind of satisfying about a simple quick carving.

Doug51
Posts: 359
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:59 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Wood carving projects

Post by Doug51 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:09 am

First time trying to get scale's on a fish.
Attachments
IMG_20191001_220335445.jpg

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 7413
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:35 am
Location: Grand Prairie, Texas

Re: Wood carving projects

Post by doglegg » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:11 am

Doug, that is amazing. Those scales look proportioned and very detailed. Wow, that is good. Did you use your case whittler? ::nod:: ::nod:: ::handshake::

Doug51
Posts: 359
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:59 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Wood carving projects

Post by Doug51 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:44 am

doglegg wrote:Doug, that is amazing. Those scales look proportioned and very detailed. Wow, that is good. Did you use your case whittler? ::nod:: ::nod:: ::handshake::
Thanks! I used a Old Timer carving jack that had a little U shaped gouge to make the scales by just pressing it down hard to cut the scales in. And that little Bark River fixed blade to Rough it out and the Case Seahorse whittler to finish shaping everything.

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 7413
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:35 am
Location: Grand Prairie, Texas

Re: Wood carving projects

Post by doglegg » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:55 am

A good choice of tools. I have one of those Old Timers you are talking about. I don't find it as useful as I thought I would but it is handy for some things. Doug, I sure enjoy your sharing. ::handshake::

Post Reply

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”