Nothing fancy...

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
Doc B

Nothing fancy...

Post by Doc B »

So...I was recently nursing this cut. Took a couple of stitches, from opening a blister pack, a little too enthusiastically! Armed with an abundance of sick-leave...I figured it wouldn’t be too sanitary to be working...with a wound like this. What better excuse to take a week off. Being just a little under 4 months, until retirement...I kind of envisioned sitting on the porch whittling away and thinking about the good old days.
And... just a couple of weeks away from our 37th anniversary...I figured...hey, why not give it a try now.
IMG_0855.jpg
So...risking another knife wound (how would I ever explain that to the boss) I tried a chunk of oak wood. Nope...I have neither the time or patience for that. Off to hobby lobby and picked up some basswood blocks.
Pure whittling, with just my pocket knife? Nope...did I say I have neither the time or patience? So...armed with a dremel (for gross reduction), a set of carving tools off Amazon, and my pocket knife...I googled up some carvings and tried my hand at the bear. Finished out with a heart from abalone (mother of pearl).
Now, my wife and I are pretty much past giving each other anything for anniversaries. When our anniversary came, I told Mama I had a present for her. She had that...I didn’t get you anything, disappointed statement. I told her I only spent a dollar on it, ha!
Nothing special...but Mama liked it! You might want to give it a try, for your girl!
Oh...and nothing but respect for you guys that can whittle anything...with just a pocket knife!
IMG_0915 (1).jpg
IMG_0916 (1).jpg
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Nothing fancy...

Post by doglegg »

Doc B you did a good job on both your finger and the bear. I don't blame your wife for liking it (the bear). And time left to try something else. Happy for you on you upcoming retirement. ::tu:: ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Very sweet bear, instantly appealing. Your carving has given him a personality that says "Love Me". Your bear is talking to me !
kj
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Doc B I like that bear. The finger,,,,,,,,,,,not so much.

Heal up quickly and enjoy that coming retirement. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

That bear really does have an appealing look. A loving look. Excellent!
eveled

Post by eveled »

I like the bear a lot. I'm glad your wife was happy with the present. Amazing how something made with love is still the best gift.

I carved two interlocking hearts for my girlfriend at the time. She was so impressed she not only married me, but had interlocked hearts engraved inside our wedding rings.

The hearts were patterned after a set my dad gave my mom. When I was an infant she would wear them on a necklace and I would play with them.
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

::tu:: nice work. I find carving very relaxing and fun.
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Great bear carving! ::tu::

...but what's really impressive is, picking up a knife and doing a wood carving after the job you did on your thumb! Now THAT deserves extra credit!

Well done! ::handshake::

WB

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”