Whittling set

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
Bsda

Whittling set

Post by Bsda »

Hi my name is Brittany and im new to this forum, im fairly new in the whittling world, but have woodworking experience. I was handed down my great grandfathers whittlers set and would apprieciate some outlook....have any of you seen a set like this before? Its over 100 yrs old and still works like a charm!
Attachments
20181118_140919.jpg
20181119_083802.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Whittling set

Post by doglegg »

Well welcome to AAPK Brittany, glad to have you. Your great grandfather certainly had a nice set. Do you have any thing that he carved? Are you at present carving anything? Hope to see your work and proud for you to have your grandfathers tools. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Welcome! Hope to see you carve, and for Goodness Sake do not sell Grampa's carving tools!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Welcome aboard Brittany. ::handshake:: Looking forward to seeing any tools, carvings, or knives you may care to post.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Welcome to AAPK ::welcome:: ::welcome:: . The old woodworking tools and carving sets have the best steel in them. They will take an edge like a razor. Hope to see more of your work.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Borre1985

Post by Borre1985 »

Welcome, Brittany! I'm new too. Is it possible to rely on this article? Can someone from experienced tell me which set to buy?
Mr. Chips

Post by Mr. Chips »

Borre1985 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:01 pm Welcome, Brittany! I'm new too. Is it possible to rely on this article? Can someone from experienced tell me which set to buy?
I usually tell beginners to get a good pocket knife.

A modified Opinel is a great knife, and the modifications are easily done with a file and a sharpening stone and strop. Another knife and sandpaper will reshape the handles if you wish. Opinels are inexpensive and it is worth it to modify a few, for various tasks.

If you want to carve spoons the Beaver craft sets in the referenced article are good. Beaver Craft makes good stuff. I have tried them out and am impressed. Prices are good too.
Mr. Chips

Post by Mr. Chips »

Borre1985 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:01 pm Welcome, Brittany! I'm new too. Is it possible to rely on this article? Can someone from experienced tell me which set to buy?
I would avoid getting the X-Acto (flimsy)or Flexcut (too much money and too many knives of the same basic shape - just different sizes) sets.

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”