Walking Stick Wood Elf

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
Wally Taylor

Walking Stick Wood Elf

Post by Wally Taylor »

I carved this Elf to make my handle easier to grip. Still have to carve him a set of Ivory choppers.
image.jpeg
Steve Warden

Re: Walking Stick Wood Elf

Post by Steve Warden »

Nice ::tu:: ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Thank You for Your service Steve. My Brother is Retired Army Special Forces. You guys are a really special breed, and thank God for every one of You.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Nice walking stick!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Hey Wally, great little walking stick. Great job on the eyes. Hope to see more of your stuff. My mothers maiden name was Taylor. ::tu::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Very interesting face & carved with much skill. What knife did you use to carve this ?
kj
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

I like it! Glad I don't need one yet.
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

kootenay joe wrote:Very interesting face & carved with much skill. What knife did you use to carve this ?
kj
I have several Flat side handled carving tools. I also have a very old jigged bone Schrade Walden that I found in a washing machine in a laundromat about 35 years ago. It had been sharpened about halfway through the blades, so I kind of felt guilty about keeping it. I have those blades worked into sort of specialty shapes. That's what I use.
I did put a paper on the wall in the laundromat
with my phone number stating that I'd found a well-worn pocket knife in the washer, and if the owner could describe the knife to me, it would come home to them. I knew that it had to have been from their Dad or Grandpa.
I got four calls, and their descriptions weren't even close. One guy even called me twice and gave way different descriptions each time. Anyway, that eased my guilt feelings about keeping it. Anyway, it's a Schrade Walden 283 Pattern, and I use it a lot.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks. I collect Schrade but i do not know what pattern the 283 is. Any chance a picture of this old work-horse of a knife ?
kj
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Ask and Ye shall receive:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

All these years I thought it was 283, but with the picture blown up, I think it's 233. Maybe I can finsd a NEW OLD STOCK KNIFE. I've been searching for 283 with no luck. My fingers are crossed!

UPDATE: I just bought a NOS Schrade Walden 233 for $39 SHIPPED! Thanks to You, I magnified it and realized that I've been searching for years for a knife that was never made!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (25.13 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (20.22 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (4.87 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Wally Taylor wrote:All these years I thought it was 283, but with the picture blown up, I think it's 233. Maybe I can finsd a NEW OLD STOCK KNIFE. I've been searching for 283 with no luck. My fingers are crossed!

UPDATE: I just bought a NOS Schrade Walden 233 for $39 SHIPPED! Thanks to You, I magnified it and realized that I've been searching for years for a knife that was never made!
Nice knife and even better story! The elf face is good, too.
Mel
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Right, 233, i should have figured it out. The first "3" often looks like an "8".
$39 for what looks like an unused Schrade-Walden jack is a good deal for buyer & seller.
There is also the Old Timer 33OT, same knife different handles.
kj
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Yeah, I maybe could get one cheaper, but for as long as I've been looking, I had to lock up at least one. Now if I can find one of the plastic boxes to keep it in I'll be all set. I've always liked the feel of this old knife. I was living out in Pendleton Oregon when I found it, and I whittled my first decent piece out there with it, so I always wanted a nice one. I'll probably never use it.
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Well, I got my new old 233, and it's NOS. I've been looking for a long time. I'm glad to have a bran new copy of my trusty knife. It doesn't say Schrade Walden on the shield, so I imagine it's about a '78, but it's still the exact same knife.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Always nice to get something you've been looking for. Glad you found it. Hope to see more of your carving. ::nod:: ::nod::
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Yep, I'm glad I found it. I'm working on my Elf's Mammoth Ivory choppers. Slow going, but I'll get there.
image.jpeg
eveled

Post by eveled »

That’s a serious set of teeth! I didn’t know elves were so toothy. I like it a lot. I’m not good at faces at all.
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

I agree on the teeth being non-Elfish. I decided to turn it into kind of a tribal mask. Kind of weird, but I guess I'm the one who has to walk with it. I had a disc replaced in my back, and it didn't fuse right. I actually need a walking stick, because if I fall on the ice I can't get up without a cane or stick. Here's my Mask so far.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
wlf

Post by wlf »

Cool ::tu:: ::tu::
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Nice! Looking a little more fierce...like a protector in the forest ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”