emerging wood spirits.

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
mrwatch

emerging wood spirits.

Post by mrwatch »

A man brought a bunch of Cyprus tree wood to the wood carvers round up for a mini class. Buy one and look for and learn to carve a face in up to the tiniest protrusion. I started it their and went the next day and set up a card table at a tractor and old engine show and folks stopped and asked about it.
Attachments
DSCN4651.jpg
DSCN4659.jpg
DSCN4652.jpg
DSCN4653.jpg
DSCN4654.jpg
DSCN4655.jpg
mrwatch

Re: emerging wood spirits.

Post by mrwatch »

around summer of 2005
Attachments
tiny nose
tiny nose
DSCN4657.jpg
DSCN4658.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Mr Watch you have skill as a carver of wood and the vision of an artist. You can see where a face could be and then create it with expression.
I have zero of these abilities.
Do the faces seem apparent to you right away ? or does it take time, many hours, of looking at the stick to see an area that could be a face ?
Do you know what the face will look like before you start ? Or, does the wood 'dictate' the face as you carve ?
And, is Cypress easy or hard to carve ?
I have 2 Yew sticks that might be related to Cypress. Yew is very rare here in the interior of B.C. I have a small stand of Yew trees in a moist gully, deep in the woods.
kj
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

kootenay joe wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:29 pm Mr Watch you have skill as a carver of wood and the vision of an artist. You can see where a face could be and then create it with expression.
I have zero of these abilities.
Do the faces seem apparent to you right away ? or does it take time, many hours, of looking at the stick to see an area that could be a face ?
Do you know what the face will look like before you start ? Or, does the wood 'dictate' the face as you carve ?
And, is Cypress easy or hard to carve ?
I have 2 Yew sticks that might be related to Cypress. Yew is very rare here in the interior of B.C. I have a small stand of Yew trees in a moist gully, deep in the woods.
kj

Thank you for the compliment. I did not know that i have talent but, sitting two years in watchmakers school learning to make things like a balance staff freehand on a jewelers lathe helped. Plus counting the number of coils in a hairspring and finding and fixing errors he put in hair spring coils. Plus a good friend had a painting studio. After I joined the seniors center I got active with a few wood carvers and joined area clubs. and they had a lady teaching water color painting. Then lot's of other carving classes and painting lessons in oil and Acrylics. It was a great help to have a man at the center who encouraged me.
Cyprus is fairly soft, and he gave instruction and had examples to look at. It is mostly your artistic license. As for Yew wood, I believe it is more common in Europe? and used for vernier, we looked at buying a curio cabinet with it. Related to our evergreen bushes I think? Northern Bass wood is the preferred wood for carving. Bob
TPK

Post by TPK »

Very impressive work! You have a real talent! ::tu:: :D
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Mr. Watch, the things you do never surprise me anymore but always impress me. You are indeed a carver and not a whittler. I love your work. ::nod:: ::tu::
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

Cool ::tu::
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Well done!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

::tu:: ::tu::

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”