Whittling knife

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
Bowhatchie

Whittling knife

Post by Bowhatchie »

I have carried and collected knives for 50 some odd years... I was diagnosed with cancer in my spine a year and a half go..and now confined to a wheelchair...
All that to say...want to whittle something I have not done much....looking for suggestions on what you consider to be the best pocket knife for whittling...
tallguy606

Re: Whittling knife

Post by tallguy606 »

No direct experience, but look at Case Seahorse Whittler. 4 inch knife, one heavy duty whittling blade, two smaller blades for fine work. About $50.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

A bit more pricey...but GEC's Pocket Whittler has been getting nice reviews...

https://franksclassicknives.com/product ... ket-carver
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

Probably should’ve posted here, but I shared some I have in the general forum.
download/file.php?id=450432&mode=view

The Boker Congress (2nd down on left) and Mastercarver (2nd down on right) being my favorites.
The Boker is German and carbon steel, so it was around $50 on ebay the Mastercarver was $40 on amazon.
Attachments
04DA9063-D817-4BAC-B1F8-5ED7C455B38E.jpeg
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

If you have any problems with your hands, I would recommend a knife that has a lock-back.
This would give you a very confident control with your knife.

Good luck in what you decide.

Bob
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

I torture tested that 2 blade Sarge on a dowel rod today. I'm impressed with how long it lasted, and a little longer with a quick hone. It will need to be seriously resharpened, I'm glad I didn't use one of my nicer knives, but still, it did pretty well. Feels good in hand although it's smallish, I guess because of the curve. Not bad at all for $20.

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”