Bowl Carving Project

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
Tony_Wood

Bowl Carving Project

Post by Tony_Wood »

Fellas, I need some help identifying this wood.
I will attempt to go back and retrieve some leaves, as that will be the ideal way for identification.
The project came from the the same tree as the block the bowl is leaning on: first pic. Any idea what tree this is?
19714372-EFFA-4DD3-ABA6-A25B0BEB28C6.jpeg
The slab was rough sawn with a chainsaw; then had the back removed and roughly shaped with axe.
A7DEC048-024F-410E-89F5-BEB52B7C537F.jpeg
Deep gouge chisel with lots of elbow grease hollowed and rough shaped the sides.

DE96AE84-6135-4351-ABAB-5BA7D2A12DD0.jpeg
5EBC6FC2-F7BE-48EC-940B-8A58028D6E2F.jpeg
This is the current shape and condition. The above work was all I had time for at present. It is currently in a paper bag filled with its own chippings.

C3E3421D-6FE9-43D7-A52C-233EAC2EDEAE.jpeg
91CC7DC3-38B8-4A9B-A478-BE9FBF7698C6.jpeg
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
TPK

Re: Bowl Carving Project

Post by TPK »

I'll take a guess. Looking at the Bark I'd guess that it's some sort of oak. There are many kinds of oak and the barks often vary but it could be red or black oak. Like I said, I'm just guessing. ::shrug:: Looks more like the black oak to me but... ::shrug::
Attachments
Red
Red
Black
Black
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Mr. Chips

Post by Mr. Chips »

A leaf or two would nail it, of course.

Knowing if this was a wild tree or not and where it grew (part of the country/world),would also be very helpful.

Tame trees are not usually able to be readily identified by locale. For example, where I live, there are no wild oaks, but there are quite a few that have been planted and are growing fine in our community. Likewise with walnuts, and even almond trees.

It looks like your project is off to a great start.

You have some "experienced" tools in the gouge and mallet. Did you put the experience on, or did you get them that way?
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

TPK wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:57 pm I'll take a guess. Looking at the Bark I'd guess that it's some sort of oak. There are many kinds of oak and the barks often vary but it could be red or black oak. Like I said, I'm just guessing. ::shrug:: Looks more like the black oak to me but... ::shrug::
Thanks Tom. The grain is not like any oak I have ever seen. It is clear like a maple grain, but soft like a poplar Wood.
Mr. Chips wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:35 pm A leaf or two would nail it, of course.

Knowing if this was a wild tree or not and where it grew (part of the country/world),would also be very helpful.

Tame trees are not usually able to be readily identified by locale. For example, where I live, there are no wild oaks, but there are quite a few that have been planted and are growing fine in our community. Likewise with walnuts, and even almond trees.

It looks like your project is off to a great start.

You have some "experienced" tools in the gouge and mallet. Did you put the experience on, or did you get them that way?
I live in Missouri. This tree was knocked down by a large oak in a recent storm. The leaves were all gone by the time I started cleaning it up.

The tools have both new and old patina. I learned woodworking from an older gentleman. Slowly, I’ve the years he cleaned out tools and passed them all to me. I have made a few bowls, some carved musical instruments, and various other projects.
So, to make a short answer long, some of the use is mine and some of the use is from my old teacher.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Cool, Tony. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu::
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

That's an impressive carving! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Niiiiiiiice!
Looking cool, Tony!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”