Reinventing the spoon, or I don't want to stir the pot..

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
Maddogfl

Reinventing the spoon, or I don't want to stir the pot..

Post by Maddogfl »

After I finished my chores and subsequent nap today, I went down the the barn and scrounged a piece of scrap Cedar, mostly sap wood, to try out my new sharpening technique. I was surprised at how hard that wood got after drying for three years.

I made a soup stirrer spoon. The spoon is flat on the bottom so it will sit on the stove, and turned up at the end so old fumble fingers can pick it up. It holds a little over a tablespoon, so it is good for a taster too. Shown sanded to 220 and then with the final finish...Olive Oil. With Olive oil you can constantly touch it up in the kitchen as it dries out. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

I made a lot of errors, but nothing that a little more cutting and sanding couldn't fix. Cedar only wants to be cut in one direction and it will not forgive you for going against the grain. (something I have done all my life) I want to get into whittling and that looked like a good small project to start on.
Attachments
DSCN2537.JPG
DSCN2538.JPG
DSCN2540.JPG
DSCN2542.JPG
charlesf20

Re: Reinventing the spoon, or I don't want to stir the pot..

Post by charlesf20 »

Nice job. You might want to produce & patent them, every kitchen could use one.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Maddogfl wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:14 pm After I finished my chores and subsequent nap today, I went down the the barn and scrounged a piece of scrap Cedar, mostly sap wood, to try out my new sharpening technique. I was surprised at how hard that wood got after drying for three years.

I made a soup stirrer spoon. The spoon is flat on the bottom so it will sit on the stove, and turned up at the end so old fumble fingers can pick it up. It holds a little over a tablespoon, so it is good for a taster too. Shown sanded to 220 and then with the final finish...Olive Oil. With Olive oil you can constantly touch it up in the kitchen as it dries out. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

I made a lot of errors, but nothing that a little more cutting and sanding couldn't fix. Cedar only wants to be cut in one direction and it will not forgive you for going against the grain. (something I have done all my life) I want to get into whittling and that looked like a good small project to start on.
Really nice, and yes you could sell them. Is that final finish just from olive oil, and how many coats.? ::handshake::
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

::tu:: ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

cudgee wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:54 pm
Maddogfl wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:14 pm After I finished my chores and subsequent nap today, I went down the the barn and scrounged a piece of scrap Cedar, mostly sap wood, to try out my new sharpening technique. I was surprised at how hard that wood got after drying for three years.

Really nice, and yes you could sell them. Is that final finish just from olive oil, and how many coats.? ::handshake::

Just one coat in the photo. Some years ago I made a baby crib for a Niece for her first child. Fearing poisoning the baby with an exotic wood treatment, I used the Olive oil and in worked out fine. It was a long time ago, but I believe that I stacked multiple layers of oil on that crib. As it turned out, I should have used arsenic and saved a lot of people a lot of problems. ;)
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

Thank you all for the kind comments.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Maddogfl wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:32 am
cudgee wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:54 pm

Just one coat in the photo. Some years ago I made a baby crib for a Niece for her first child. Fearing poisoning the baby with an exotic wood treatment, I used the Olive oil and in worked out fine. It was a long time ago, but I believe that I stacked multiple layers of oil on that crib. As it turned out, I should have used arsenic and saved a lot of people a lot of problems. ;)
::stir:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

That’s a right fine looking spoon! Good job!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Maddogfl wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:14 pm After.....
You might want to post your spoon here also:
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=61046
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”