Continuing my education

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
Maddogfl

Continuing my education

Post by Maddogfl »

My daughter is a professional geologist so I carved a rock hammer bass-relievo as a knick-knack for her. I still have a lot of technique to learn, but she will appreciate it because it was from her Daddy. (if anyone is going to the kitchen, I need a refill on my tea.)
Attachments
DSCN2547.JPG
tongueriver

Re: Continuing my education

Post by tongueriver »

Very nice! Complete with rocks. Is that 'Old Fashioned' tea? 8) Did you use (what kind?) knives?
charlesf20

Post by charlesf20 »

You must be proud. Of your daughter and your masterpiece. Good job. ::tu::
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

tongueriver wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:54 pm Very nice! Complete with rocks. Is that 'Old Fashioned' tea? 8) Did you use (what kind?) knives?
Just tea and ice. I used primarily a Schrade whittling knife, the little chisel blade comes in very handy. I also used a couple of other stockmen for the blade shapes. I have got to learn how to cut, in tight paces against the grain. There is a reason that there is not a close-up of my masterpiece. ;)
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Very nice whittling and choice of wood.

Here is me, drinking cold ice tea I made at 7 AM today.

Bob
eveled

Post by eveled »

That came out great! Plus it will keep the moths out of her sweaters!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Maddogfl wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:48 pm My daughter is a professional geologist so I carved a rock hammer bass-relievo as a knick-knack for her. I still have a lot of technique to learn, but she will appreciate it because it was from her Daddy. (if anyone is going to the kitchen, I need a refill on my tea.)
That came out very knice. I know she will like it. ::tu:: ::tu::
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

I have been wanting another JPK, but the prices have gone ballistic. I am learning new tricks with every project. The cross-guard was the most difficult part, trying to cut across the grain without breaking the thing. I need to order me some Basswood after watching others whittling on it. The videos that I watched, it looked like the folks were carving on soap the way the wood handled. The Cedar is unforgiving, it only wants to cut in one direction, but I do like the two-toned look.
Attachments
DSCN2584.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Maddogfl wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:43 pm I have been wanting another JPK, but the prices have gone ballistic. I am learning new tricks with every project. The cross-guard was the most difficult part, trying to cut across the grain without breaking the thing. I need to order me some Basswood after watching others whittling on it. The videos that I watched, it looked like the folks were carving on soap the way the wood handled. The Cedar is unforgiving, it only wants to cut in one direction, but I do like the two-toned look.
Now that is absolutely awesome!!!!Yes I bet the cross-guard was a bear not to break. And that beautiful hamon on the blade. That is wonderful. Great job. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Maddogfl wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:43 pm I have been wanting another JPK, but the prices have gone ballistic. I am learning new tricks with every project. The cross-guard was the most difficult part, trying to cut across the grain without breaking the thing. I need to order me some Basswood after watching others whittling on it. The videos that I watched, it looked like the folks were carving on soap the way the wood handled. The Cedar is unforgiving, it only wants to cut in one direction, but I do like the two-toned look.
That is beyond excellent, I wish I had an eye for carving... ::tu::
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

My efforts at knife whittling a few years ago. Certainly not as knice as yours.
DSCN4615.JPG
DSCN4616.JPG

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”