Wood carving help

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
keithlong

Wood carving help

Post by keithlong »

I am wanting to try my hand at carving faces, I need advice as to how to begin, what wood to use, what kind of carving knife do I need, such as a detail knife? I have been whittling for several years and have whittled spoons, ball in a cage, wooden chain. I was gifted a pocket knife several years ago that the blades were reshaped for carving and I lost it. It was a great knife. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
Oledadsknives

Re: Wood carving help

Post by Oledadsknives »

Hey Keith, my wife’s grandfather was a wood carver of all kinds of animals and such. He lived in Start Louisiana and used Tupelo gum wood. He used the bell of the tree that is just above the water in the swamp. As far as a knife, I always used a Boker 8313 stockman to carve. IMO you will need a carbon steel knife with a coping blade. I’m sure there are alot of different woods you could use. Good Luck!!

Jimbo
You can lead a person to wisdom, but you can’t make them think ::nod::
Where I am is where I’ll be!!
Jimbo
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

Best thing is bass wood. It’s available on line and at hobby lobby. Faces are easier to carve on the corner of square piece so you don’t have to remove as much for the nose. Watch Doug Linker on YouTube (search 5min wizard) and it will help you get started. Post your progress for us to see and have fun.
Attachments
I carved this on the corner of a piece of pine
I carved this on the corner of a piece of pine
robpa

Post by robpa »

Cool Face, cool tip using the corner.
My D.I.L works for Flex Tool a NW PA manufacturer of carving knives. I keep wanting to get 1 or 2 of them, they arent cheap. They are having their best 2 years ever and handing out some hefty year end bonuses. Only thing Ive ever carved so far is knife handles and pointed sticks.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Thanks guys for the information, still looking and watching videos.
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
eveled

Post by eveled »

Good idea using the corner for the nose gives you a center line to keep things proportional. C-WADE7
I was never good at faces.
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

eveled wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:28 am Good idea using the corner for the nose gives you a center line to keep things proportional. C-WADE7
I was never good at faces.
I helps a lot both as a center and that the nose protrudes more than anything else on your face, so it saves time too.

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”