Buck 110 repair question(s)

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
mramunds

Buck 110 repair question(s)

Post by mramunds »

Howdy all!
I have Buck 110 2 pin that is in need of repair. Purchased at auction, and in bad shape. The blade rivet has been shortened/broken, and is short in the hole approx 1/4 inch, and the blade has significant wobble. I need to purchase parts to repair the knife, and would like to have them on hand before beginning the repair.
Questions-

1. Does anyone know the size/gauge of the blade rivet?
2. Is the blade rivet made of common brass pin material, or something else? (hardened brass?)
3. Are there washers on the sides of the blade or in the assy, and what size and composition?

I think that should cover it, but if you have any other info that will assist me in my endeavor, please reply! This is a first time attempt, but I really cant screw it up much more (without power tools, anyhow)
Thanks for any and all info-
Mark
ea42

Re: Buck 110 repair question(s)

Post by ea42 »

Mark you should be able to knock that pin the rest of the way through with a punch without too much difficulty. Then just measure he width of the pin. Maybe .125ish? Common brass would work fine, if you can get 360 brass all the better. I'm not familiar with the Buck construction so I'm not certain if it has any kind of washers, but you'll find that out soon enough once you take the blade out. Just be sure when you put it back together to countersink the bolster holes and use a spacer between the liner and the blade so you don't get it so tight that you can't move the blade. Around .004 or so is usually fine. A spark plug gap gauge would work.

Eric
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

mramunds, just box it up and send it to Buck. It's got a lifetime guarantee! ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

fergusontd wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:38 am just box it up and send it to Buck. It's got a lifetime guarantee!
::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

fergusontd wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:38 am mramunds, just box it up and send it to Buck. It's got a lifetime guarantee! ftd
And they fix practically anything.
eveled

Post by eveled »

I agree send it in. I’ve never got a free repair, but the prices have been so cheap I’m sure they lost money.
mramunds

Post by mramunds »

I think I just might. I've got a few candidates for the spa treatment, so maybe I'll send them all in and be done with it. I thought I might try my hand at repair and reconditioning - I've been cleaning up quite s few refugees and castoffs no one else wants. I'd love to make a custom knife, but I'm not very artisitic
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Earlier this year I sent a 112 and a 503 to Buck for new blade and spa treatment.
Only $10 each. Both came back looking brand new.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
eveled

Post by eveled »

Ive always waited until I had a group of them to send in. That way I save on shipping them to Buck, but Buck saves shipping them back too.

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”