Howdy all, I have two Bucks, one broke in half one not

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Randy

Howdy all, I have two Bucks, one broke in half one not

Post by Randy »

I've owned and destroyed more Buck knives than I care to remember. Not that they are not well made and solid, I'm just really hard on them because as a Harley rider since I was twenty years old I used them as pry bars, screw drivers, hammers, and who knows what else? I've carved a lot of campfire steaks with one also.

I believe this .110. is probably the last one I bought however after I realized that buying knives was getting expensive when I was in my early twenties. I also had an early-ish (mid-seventies) .112. that I broke prying something with it, hammering or not sure how but it's been broke for close to thirty years. I've kept it in hopes I could fix it...haha. :lol:
110Buck.jpg
110tangstamp.jpg
112BrokeBuck.jpg
112BrokeBuck2.jpg
Old Hunter

Re: Howdy all, I have two Bucks, one broke in half one not

Post by Old Hunter »

Randy, welcome to AAPK and to the Buck knives sub-forum! That 110 looks pretty decent, but I don't know if there is any fixing your 112 ::uc:: How do brick walls hold up when you're around? OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

:shock: :shock:
If 'ya gonna break something, do it right!!
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Randy

Post by Randy »

Old Hunter wrote:Randy, welcome to AAPK and to the Buck knives sub-forum! That 110 looks pretty decent, but I don't know if there is any fixing your 112 ::uc:: How do brick walls hold up when you're around? OH
After 25 years in commercial construction, not very well. :roll:
::groove:: When I put 5,000lbs of iron on one end of a long wire rope on a crane ? ::facepalm::
::groove:: The bricks they start a-dancin! ::groove::
royal0014 wrote::shock: :shock:
If 'ya gonna break something, do it right!!
::tu:: ::cb:: I could ruin a good fart on the right day... ::dang:: ::groove::
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

:roll: Randy! Unless their wet....farts are hard to ruin! ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Randy

Post by Randy »

Too close ta home dude, too close ta home... old age isn't the glorious times you see on TV in retirement commercials.. ::facepalm:: ::uc::
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

That knife can be repaired ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

fergusontd wrote::roll: Randy! Unless their wet....farts are hard to ruin! ftd
Unless the have lumps in them.
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

I am gonna just take a guess here. But, I doubt Buck will repair it unless you really want it repaired and are willing to spend 10 dollars or so. What they likely will do is offer you a new 112.

Go to the Buck website and find the Customer Service number and call it. Describe to them the "condition" of the knife. They will guess on a yah or nah. You will still have to send it to them no matter what. Might as well give them a call and see. If you do get it fixed you gotta come back and show a photo so we can be amazed.

300Bucks
Randy

Post by Randy »

Well, I was kinda thinkin of doing it myself. A 12" piece of brass and a friends end mill to gouge out the for the scales and some file and grind work on the ends, reuse the guts and the rivets can be made easy enough. Time consuming but not all that hard it seems. I have an old stag handle from a sixties vintage hunting knife I took apart about thirty years ago and used the tanged blade to make a deer antler handled knife with.
It's still dirty but in good shape and just big enough if I allow about an extra 1/16" on each end, other wise I have a bag of deer antler cuts I can use.
Staghandle.jpg
Staghandle buck.jpg
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

That stag handle would look really good on there ::tu::
AAPK Janitor
Randy

Post by Randy »

After I took the picture I washed it and sprayed some leather conditioner on it. Looks much better now. It's one of those things however that goes on the bottom of the never ending list of things I want to do but probably never will due to other things being more important. I'm thinking of new fun things to do all the time, but the problem is either no time or no money and to get them both together? Fagetaboutit! ::teary_eyes::

I would still need to find someone that could cut the required slabs off it precisely. I don't have a scrollsaw like that and I can't think of anyone I know that does. I don't think I want to try a hand cut either. No planer or belt sander to flatten the inside. I never let little things stop me from doing things however. I have a huge will so there is always an idea lurking that I just haven't found yet. If I can get 10 ton rocks out of the ground by myself with nothing but a box blade on my little 12000lb tractor I won't let a little piece of dead animal stop me. But even so, time and money will stop me. ::mdm::
harryekarmun

Post by harryekarmun »

Screenshot 2022-01-16 7.14.12 AM.png
hello do you still have your broken buck ? this is one possibility for it !
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

harryekarmun wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:31 pm Screenshot 2022-01-16 7.14.12 AM.png hello do you still have your broken buck ? this is one possibility for it !
That’s a 9 year old post. 🤔
John 🍺
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Samb

Post by Samb »

fergusontd wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:09 pm :roll: Randy! Unless their wet....farts are hard to ruin! ftd
Agreed ::ds::
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

And the poster has not been active in 8 years. Got to be paying attention to the dates.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Seems there are a few Zombie posts popping up. 😏
John 🏁
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

::woot::
Randy wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:46 am I've owned and destroyed more Buck knives than I care to remember. Not that they are not well made and solid, I'm just really hard on them because as a Harley rider since I was twenty years old I used them as pry bars, screw drivers, hammers, and who knows what else? I've carved a lot of campfire steaks with one also.

I believe this .110. is probably the last one I bought however after I realized that buying knives was getting expensive when I was in my early twenties. I also had an early-ish (mid-seventies) .112. that I broke prying something with it, hammering or not sure how but it's been broke for close to thirty years. I've kept it in hopes I could fix it...haha. :lol:

110Buck.jpg
110tangstamp.jpg
112BrokeBuck.jpg
112BrokeBuck2.jpg

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”