My First Buck Knives

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Rich53

My First Buck Knives

Post by Rich53 »

I just picked these up.

I've never owned a Buck knife before. I have to say I am impressed with the construction, esp the 119 Special.

I've never been particularly interested in Bucks because most of their blades are 420HC. Nothing wrong with that. It's a perfectly serviceable steel, but nothing to get excited about.

They are nice knives, but mine didn't arrive very sharp. I actually had to put the folder through my Workshop grinder to get a decent edge. Anyone else with the same experience?
20220123_125253.jpg
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: My First Buck Knives

Post by Railsplitter »

I have some pre-2001 Buck 700 series slip joints that are not very sharp. They are unused to the best of my knowledge.

Every Buck knife I have bought that was made after that has had a great edge right out of the box. It’s one of the things that impresses me about Buck knives.

Assuming you bought the folder new, I would say that it’s uncommon that the edge needed sharpened.

Very nice knives, by the way.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

Thanks! I can tell they are very good knives for the money.
tnorton

Post by tnorton »

grinder :shock:
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

tnorton wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:08 pm grinder :shock:
I had the same reaction. 🤔😮
John 🥶
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

It worked, though!
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::hmm:: I love my 301 but I can't seem to get the edge I want on it. Won't put it to a grinding wheel. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

They're great knives and the company has been family owned for generations. Buck stands behind their product. I have to say that when it comes to customer service they are probably one of the best I have dealt with. Their standard production knives are built to be used. If you're looking for higher quality steels and a notch above on attention to detail, take a look at their custom and limited editions. They also offer a "Buck of The Month" that is both custom/LE.
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

fergusontd wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:38 am ::hmm:: I love my 301 but I can't seem to get the edge I want on it. Won't put it to a grinding wheel. ftd

I don't see the need to do it again. Now that I got the edge I wanted, a simple whetstone should do the trick from now on.
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

RevolverGuy wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:07 am They're great knives and the company has been family owned for generations. Buck stands behind their product. I have to say that when it comes to customer service they are probably one of the best I have dealt with. Their standard production knives are built to be used. If you're looking for higher quality steels and a notch above on attention to detail, take a look at their custom and limited editions. They also offer a "Buck of The Month" that is both custom/LE.
::tu::
Rdubya21

Post by Rdubya21 »

Those workshop sharpeners are fine if used properly .
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Rdubya21 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:05 am Those workshop sharpeners are fine if used properly .
Not sure what you mean by "workshop sharpeners", I am taking that to mean a bench grinder with a 60 grit wheel.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:45 pm
Rdubya21 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:05 am Those workshop sharpeners are fine if used properly .
Not sure what you mean by "workshop sharpeners", I am taking that to mean a bench grinder with a 60 grit wheel.
This:
kts2-web-hero-front-new-tag.jpg
Rdubya21

Post by Rdubya21 »

I thought that’s what was ment . I said workshop but was referring to the worksharp .
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

CAREFUL they can take the temper out of the steel ::paranoid::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Worksharp has a fine manual sharpener that includes ceramic and steel sides and is adjustable for many angles. I’ve yet to find the Buck knife I couldn’t sharpen with it - and no fear of losing temper. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

This might be the model that Bruce referred to. It's my own picture and the picture doesn't include the other accessories that Bruce mentioned.

This has become my favorite sharpening product. Especially for maintaining an edge. The Pivot Response System is incredibly simple yet genius in design. It actually works as advertised. I love this thing!
(pictured with the strop that comes with the upgrade kit)
Attachments
Work Sharp.jpg
Work Sharp.jpg (25.24 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

This is the one I have - I like it because it assists me in maintaining the angle I want - and the angles are adjustable. OH
Ps the lighting isn’t great in my office, but you can see it good enough. (Oh, it was right at $50.00).
Attachments
5DF5F5DE-ACB0-4D70-AA42-4656F33079B3.jpeg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Rich53

Post by Rich53 »

Old Hunter wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:17 pm This is the one I have - I like it because it assists me in maintaining the angle I want - and the angles are adjustable. OH
Ps the lighting isn’t great in my office, but you can see it good enough. (Oh, it was right at $50.00).
Nice!
robpa

Post by robpa »

the wife got me the Ken Onion model for Xmas, love it. I probably wont use it on a prize knife but its the best for EDC and tools; machete, hoe, spade, reforming a broken blade, lawn mower blades. great tool for certain jobs.

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”