Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks, Byrd, it is quite a handful of stainless. Also, those Buck sheaths are good quality leather. ::handshake::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

I debated getting the 124, but ended up buying a 117 instead! Talk about both ends of the spectrum. I still want a 124 though. Great choice!
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Byrd wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:12 pm I debated getting the 124, but ended up buying a 117 instead! Talk about both ends of the spectrum. I still want a 124 though. Great choice!
I like your snow pic, cool idea. ::tu:: I had been looking for a deal on a 124 for some time now, since I first saw its release. I would have preferred the traditional Phenolic handle but this was too good of a deal to pass up. ::nod::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:12 pm I picked up a Frontiersman 124 from Midway USA, they were having a sale with free shipping so it was a Christmas present to myself. In Micarta, but pairs well with the 119 Special and 120 General I already have. It has to be the heftiest Buck fixed blade out there.
Those are nice!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

KLJ77 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:11 pm Colonel,

IMHO, you got a pretty good deal for $25.00, even though the 470 Mentor originally sold for $25.50 back in 1995, and I believe Buck stopped making them in 2000. So, for a 20+ year old knife, brand new, never used or sharpened...yeah, you got a good deal. They're selling way higher on the bay in used condition. Buck also came out with the mini-mentor Model 475 in 1997. That would be a nice 'matching pair', if you were interested in possibly going that way. I don't think you got 'skint' at all. ::tu:: ::groove::
Thank you. I’ve never been a big fixed blade kind of guy. But I’ve been carrying this one around for a few days working g around the barn and in the shop and I must say I’m impressed with these bucks. They hold a real nice edge and this one fits me like a glove. I’ll keep an eye out for the baby version.

I had a 119 for years and hardly used it. I traded it off when the knife accumulating bug bit me, like a fool. I think I need to replace it.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
eveled

Post by eveled »

97D43208-3035-4BC9-9304-A0900A830D6B.jpeg
EA2E4C7D-8940-4917-BD59-FD5F798361A1.jpeg
The 124 is a great knife. I had this sheath made to piggy back my 110.
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

That's pretty slick eveled! A lot of weight to carry. Do you use a reinforced gun belt? Seriously. My CCW belt has inserts in it to stiffen it and support the pistol. Makes a huge difference.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great sheath design and cool idea, eveled. With those two knives, what more would you need? ::shrug::

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

1967redrider wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:32 pm With those two knives, what more would you need? ::shrug::
A Camillus 72. ::super_happy::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 5:25 pm
1967redrider wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:32 pm With those two knives, what more would you need? ::shrug::
A Camillus 72. ::super_happy::
::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol:: ::rotflol::

That's the whittler, right? ::woot::

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Camillus said it is so yes.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Buck 112 Ranger 2 dot.
Attachments
IMG_0943.JPG
David
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

What a sweet looking Buck! I love THE 112's with no nail nick. Great find. It appears to be in great shape as well.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I only have a handful of Buck knives. Picked this up: 110 LT , S30V steel and OD micarta; just to check it out.
buck.jpg
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Very nice David, hard to go wrong with a two-dot! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Thank you Byrd and Old Hunter. It is in good shape and still locks up like a bank vault.
David
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

David the two dot is the first Buck I bought for work in 1975 and I'm still using it today,she is my favorite LB bar none shown with her repaired sheath and sum ware::tu::
Attachments
IMG_0274.JPG
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

garddogg56 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:04 am David the two dot is the first Buck I bought for work in 1975 and I'm still using it today,she is my favorite LB bar none shown with her repaired sheath and sum ware::tu::
For Christmas this year, I got a Carhartt like that and it was made in the USA (Dearborn, MI), which replaced a Berne (which is still holding together, but on the way out) made who knows where. And hard to believe, it cost the same as the Berne did about 10 years ago. And a lot better made. I've chosen my 2014 Case Carhartt Mini Trapper as the knife I typically keep in that coat for farm chores--it matches the coat quite well, since it has the "Rugged Duck" (Earth Brown) G-10 handles.

Last week, I picked up a 112LT. A bit more reasonable for an EDC, and I've really liked my '74-80 112 (440C!), but the blade is shot due to someone really treating it rough (about half worn, plus a huge ding), so it's gonna have to go to Buck before I can carry it--and I've put that off nearly two years.

And, like the 110LT, I'll likely never use the belt sheath.
IMG_2020-01-05_21-23-52.jpeg
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

garddogg56 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:04 am David the two dot is the first Buck I bought for work in 1975 and I'm still using it today,she is my favorite LB bar none shown with her repaired sheath and sum ware::tu::
Looks like your 112 has served you well and still has a lot of miles left in it. ::tu::
David
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Yes Dave she has served me very well ::handshake:: Cody them made in USA Carhartts are hard to find ::shrug:: the Case Carhartt. Knives are nice,I like the grind and bolsters.
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Doc B wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:10 pm I only have a handful of Buck knives. Picked this up: 110 LT , S30V steel and OD micarta; just to check it out.
buck.jpg
Doc, have you used it yet? I have some of the old Bucklites and the newer 110LT but haven’t bought the LT Slim yet. Just interested in your view of handling and feel in the hand. I know an S30V blade will cut! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Old Hunter wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:20 am
Doc B wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:10 pm I only have a handful of Buck knives. Picked this up: 110 LT , S30V steel and OD micarta; just to check it out.
buck.jpg
Doc, have you used it yet? I have some of the old Bucklites and the newer 110LT but haven’t bought the LT Slim yet. Just interested in your view of handling and feel in the hand. I know an S30V blade will cut! OH
OH, I have. It feels very good in hand and cuts very well. My biggest long-term concern about it is that it has slight side-to-side play. Not enough to be a problem at this point; however, I see no evidence of any type of metal liner. I'm assuming there is a small one, based upon the way the pivot pin looks...but it isn't big enough to see. I'm wondering if it gets any support, from the micarta? If that's the case...I can't see micarta holding up, like metal, over the long haul and possibly leading to additional movement? I'd really like to see this knife apart and see what Buck is relying on, to support the pivot area. Obviously, the reduction in metal, leads to less weight in the knife. I doubt it will be an issue, in my lifetime...and Buck has a lifetime warranty...but after using it, I'd probably stick with metal liners and heft.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Doc, thanks for the detailed sharing of your impressions. Blade wobble over the long run is a concern with heavy use of the knives with synthetic frames. I have Bucklites that remain tight after many years of use, but haven’t been subjected to heavy stresses. OH
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Old Hunter wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:12 am Doc, thanks for the detailed sharing of your impressions. Blade wobble over the long run is a concern with heavy use of the knives with synthetic frames. I have Bucklites that remain tight after many years of use, but haven’t been subjected to heavy stresses. OH
Interestingly enough, the 112LT I posted has pretty severe wobble in the closed position, but only a little bit open and locked. My 110LT and 442 on the other hand, little open or closed.

The 110LT I bought new in 2018, and have used quite a bit. The 442 is a vintage "BuckLite" from 1996, and was quite beat up when I got it.
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Here is something you don't see that often, a '72-'86 Buck #307 Wrangler in Yellow Sawcut Delrin made by Camillus for Buck. I've seen this handle color in post '86 Buck-made knives, but this is the first one of this color and vintage that I've seen for sale, so I couldn't resist, (I have seen other models of this era in Yellow Delrin but this was the first yellow #307 I've seen). I have Yellow Delrin knives of models #301, (post "86), #303, (also post '86), #332, #331 Barlows & #322 Congress, (all '90's SFO's for SMKW). Found this one on the bay, mislabeled as a #305 Lancer, which was weird, so I ended up getting it for substantially less than it could have brought if correctly labeled, and less than the price a regular '72-'86 #307 in Black Delrin would usually go for. Of course it's considered as one of my 300 Series collection now, but it has been used enough to warrant being put in my edc rotation as a user. Already found a sheath for its' 4.25" closed length, (too big for my pocket so I carry it in a sheath). Still sharp, still tight, still snappy, just gently used; doesn't get much better than that in my world. Now if I could only find the elusive #313 Muskrat in yellow, they are rare but I know they exist, there may even be a #311 Slimline Trapper or even a #317 Trailblazer out there, (or maybe a #309 Companion or a #315 Yachstman, (which both exist), or maybe even a #319 Rancher? Oh yeah, I also have 2 different #329 Trappers in smooth Yellow Delrin, (90's SFO's for SMKW). The Buck hunt never ends and the "versions" are infinite.
Attachments
307h.jpg
BCCI Member #2863

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”