Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Old Hunter

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by Old Hunter »

Breeze wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:14 am Nice 55 Rick ::tu::
Slim 112 Pro's are great knives OH ::tu::
Thank you!
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
KTK

Post by KTK »

I just got this 110 two weeks ago. I really don't know why I grabbed it. I just really liked the nickel and black look.
Attachments
IMG_20220205_092017854.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Just returned from a trip to south Texas today to find this new Buck Paradigm in the mail. I ordered it directly from Buck last week. The knife came with a nice box with a magnetic closure lid (the box was in a cardboard sleeve), inside which was a black cloth drawstring bag. In the bag was the knife.

This pattern is a bolster lock “flipper”. I bought it because of the bolster lock - I didn’t have one. While holding the knife in the right hand such that the spring is in the palm of the hand, blade is up and fingers out of the way of the blade. Pushing the bolster (which has “serrations” on the side) with the thumb while simultaneously pulling back on the extension with the finger, which “flips” the blade to the open, fully extended position. Push the bolster back into the original (closed) position, which locked the blade fully open. (I’m giving details for the novice “flipper” owner - I am one. This is my first non-fully automatic assisted opener.) ::facepalm:: It is definitely not left-hand friendly. You veteran flipper owners know all the preceding already.

The opening and closing action was smooth out-of-the-box. I found some obvious traces of small specks of metal grindings and polishing compound between the blade tang and pivot and some in the pivot joint. I’ve found this fairly common on new knives regardless of brand. I’ve seen a lot worse on some other brands. Flushed it out with some solvent, applied a couple drops of Quick Release oil, and it flips great.

I’m not a fan of pocket clips but clip that came installed on it will stay for now - it’s pretty tight and seems difficult to slide over the seem in my jeans pockets. Eventually I’ll likely put a short lanyard on it using the clip to attach it. My preference would have been a lanyard hole - there appears to be room for one so it would have been nice to have the option to remove the clip and use a hole instead.

The blade is Buck’s BOS hardened S35VN stainless steel, which is a quality American made steel I have read Buck is using on many of their higher end knives. The handle covers appear to be G10. Blade is tight (no wobble) lock-up tight in both open and closed position. Blade perfectly centered when closed. Easily shaves arm hair right out of the box. That concludes my out-of-box review. ::groove:: It will be an EDC so will see how well it holds up on the ranch!

Ken
Attachments
695537FC-93C1-4646-B7B5-ED2A059FB117.jpeg
3AC3E8D1-125D-4EBE-AFC4-F5A0198F7970.jpeg
F78A8D30-948D-4595-85B7-F77E48ED3D31.jpeg
AFA19CB1-D88D-43F0-95AA-08166D81F45B.jpeg
630B0DD1-07CD-4151-8AD9-162BEC6916E8.jpeg
B64414DC-615B-468C-BFD0-8ED4BE8A4E9A.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
JamieinWV
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by JamieinWV »

Very informative write up, I hope to see after a few weeks of everyday use to get a follow up as to how you feel it’s functional when using it only different task. I think the knife should have right handed users excited. But it falls into a area that may be a hard sale, at almost $200 the owner has to really like the opening and closing metrics and the fact of the super steel is why they bought it.
Thanks for a honest first opinion on this knife, and hope to hear more in the near future.
If God didn’t want us to have guns, he wouldn’t have given us trigger fingers!" - Yosemite Sam
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, “Those who can count and Those who can’t”
www.allaboutpocketknives.com/jamieinwv
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Nice review of a nice knife Ken, thank you. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

This one!!
Why??
Because I like to make 'em my way...
Attachments
20220222_145031.jpg
20220222_145316.jpg
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

David Yellowhorse Eagle Feather Buck 112.
Attachments
IMG_6278.JPG
IMG_6280.JPG
IMG_6281.JPG
IMG_6283.JPG
IMG_6285.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Wow, Rick...that YH is a BEAUTY! That was well worth the wait. David did you good...really good. ::tu:: Love the turquoise. Is the feather and eagle head sterling silver? Glad it arrived okay. I know you're smiling from ear to ear. :D
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

KLJ77 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:32 pm Wow, Rick...that YH is a BEAUTY! That was well worth the wait. David did you good...really good. ::tu:: Love the turquoise. Is the feather and eagle head sterling silver? Glad it arrived okay. I know you're smiling from ear to ear. :D
Thank you, LJ.

The Eagle Feather inlays are Nickel Silver which David cuts by hand. There's a video on Youtube of him manually cutting out a Buffalo inlay with a hand held coping saw. Same process he used for these Eagle Feather inlays.
Rick T.

garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

BEAUTIFUL White Horse ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Railsplitter wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:57 pm David Yellowhorse Eagle Feather Buck 112.
👍😘😘👍
John 🍺
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

garddogg56 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:01 am BEAUTIFUL White Horse ::tu::
jmh58 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:48 am 👍😘😘👍
John 🍺
Thanks fellers.
Rick T.

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

The Buck knives just keep rolling in but I'm about to slow down soon. Just arrived today from a very helpful AAPK member.
Attachments
IMG_6286.JPG
IMG_6287.JPG
IMG_6288.JPG
IMG_6289.JPG
IMG_6290.JPG
Rick T.

jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Railsplitter wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:43 pm The Buck knives just keep rolling in but I'm about to slow down soon. Just arrived today from a very helpful AAPK member.
Another Beauty right there Rick!! Congrats!! 🎊🎉🎊
John 💥
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

jmh58 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:12 pm Another Beauty right there Rick!! Congrats!! 🎊🎉🎊
John 💥
Thank you, John!
Rick T.

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

You guys are finding some sweet ones! ::nod:: 👍👍
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Buck has been holding out on us. These model 112 LT's were discontinued in 2019 but Buck put a few up for sale last week unannounced in advance. They lasted about 3 days but I was able to snag one before they sold out.

Being relatively new to how Buck operates these days, I just assumed that they recently made a few of these and put them up for sale despite the fact that they are discontinued.

Mine has the 2019 date stamp and it came in a clam shell package. Purchased from the Buck website about 6 days ago during the above mentioned sale.

It's pretty neat how Buck surprises us occasionally with discontinued models that they've been holding onto for sale at a later date.
Attachments
IMG_6299.JPG
Rick T.

KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Very nice, Rick. Nice grab. I missed that sale somehow. ::dang:: Guess I need to pay attention more. I even get emails from them. Glad you were able to snag this one up. ::tu::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

KLJ77 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:09 pm Very nice, Rick. Nice grab. I missed that sale somehow. ::dang:: Guess I need to pay attention more. I even get emails from them. Glad you were able to snag this one up. ::tu::
Thanks, LJ. It was one of the Web Special sales. I just got a Web Special email from Buck today but if they sent an email about last week's sale, I didn't get it either. I only found out about it by word of mouth from some friends who spotted it on the website.
Rick T.

KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

I too got the Web Special email from Buck lasterday, Rick. Went and took a look, but no 112 LT's, but they did have some 'Slims' at decent prices. As you stated, Buck snuck the LT's in their without an email notice. They do that every once in a while. Keeps the Buck fans on their toes.
LJ

PappyOpap

Post by PappyOpap »

Finally found a first generation 301. Used but not abused, it is tight with great walk and talk. These older Schrade made Bucks are getting harder to find. I am glad to add it to my family of Bucks.
Attachments
Buck 1st gen.jpg
Buck 1st Gen2.jpg
Buck 1st Gen3.jpg
Buck 1st Gen 4.jpg
Buck 1st Gen 5.jpg
Buck 1st Gen 6.jpg
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Nice one!

I much prefer the contract 301 to Buck's own. I have 301s from 1992 and 2015, and neither have even close to as much snap as my Camillus-built early '80s 303.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

That old Schrade made is a great catch ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
PappyOpap

Post by PappyOpap »

Thank you gentlemen. I agree, the older contract knives have a lot more action than the Buck made knives. I recently won the bid on a Camillus made 303, and it snaps like a little alligator.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Lucky pickup Rick, I missed that one too.
Very nice addition Pappy, when you find those old ones grab them! OH

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”