Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Byrd

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by Byrd »

I'd carry it as well. Normally I carry a 110 that I got cheap because of the broken tip and did send back to Buck for a reblade. I'm careful with it though and only use it for slicing...

That is a fully functional Thompson. A gun shop near my brothers home in Illinois rents them! Last November we did just that. We were the only customers in the shop so the owner spent a lot of time with us. Let us fondle the thing, showed us how to disassemble it, etc. He's owned it since the 60's and said it's value now is $45,000!

What fun to shoot! I thought since it was so heavy it would be very controllable. Nope! On full auto it felt like I had a snake in my hands! That's one off my bucket list!
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Byrd wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:38 pm I'd carry it as well. Normally I carry a 110 that I got cheap because of the broken tip and did send back to Buck for a reblade. I'm careful with it though and only use it for slicing...

That is a fully functional Thompson. A gun shop near my brothers home in Illinois rents them! Last November we did just that. We were the only customers in the shop so the owner spent a lot of time with us. Let us fondle the thing, showed us how to disassemble it, etc. He's owned it since the 60's and said it's value now is $45,000!

What fun to shoot! I thought since it was so heavy it would be very controllable. Nope! On full auto it felt like I had a snake in my hands! That's one off my bucket list!
That's cool, I have wanted one of them since I was a kid because Vic Morrow used one in the series "Combat" from the early 60's. There is an old advertisement floating around from the 1920's showing a rancher sitting a horse while holding his trusty Thompson, they used to be available for anyone to buy, (before the government stepped in and outlawed automatic weapons that is).
BCCI Member #2863
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Combat was a great show! I watched it as well! The Thompson was on my bucket list to shoot but I learned real quick that it's not like TV! A friend of mine was a Marine and served in Korea. It was his favorite weapon. He told some interesting stories about how effective in was in close combat. You can use your imagination to figure it out.
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Combat! is getting rerun Saturday nights (as part of a WWII/Vietnam block every week) on the H&I channel which is showing up on some cable systems and some OTA channel lineups.

Good show. The block leads off with the '70s series Baa Baa Black Sheep, based on the career of WWII ace Pappy Boyington and his squadron of Corsairs, which is very very good too. ::tu::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Getting back to knives for just a minute. This 722 Spitfire came in today's mail. I don't know what it is about them but when I see one for a bargain, I just can't resist.
Attachments
Buck 2020 Spitfire 722 Gray -Labeled.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Jerry, you are on a Buck Knives roll for sure - nice Buck! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm currently keeping this one on my desk to coon finger & chicken eye (play with).
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:15 pm Getting back to knives for just a minute. This 722 Spitfire came in today's mail. I don't know what it is about them but when I see one for a bargain, I just can't resist.
Nice! I still can't believe how cheap my mini was on sale.
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Baykeeper wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:55 pm New Buck to report, #112 Drop Point w/ Crelicam Ebony handles. Why?? Because I didn't have a drop point Buck in the collection. I also ordered a brown "distressed" Buck sheath for it and surprise surprise, I found that it had been made in the USA, not in Mexico like their current black sheaths, it is nice and soft and has a special embossed button not to be found on their black sheaths. I'll keep the black sheath that came with the knife as a spare. The knife itself doesn't have the normal date code on it, but instead has an anvil in the date code's place. Also got a diamond pocket sharpener, and it works great, I only ordered it to get above the free shipping amount, but now that I have it I love it. This knife will be carried, it's not a special edition or anything so using it will be a no harm no foul situation.

The Crelicam Ebony has quite a story, it is a company in Africa using sustainable methods, and plant a new tree for every one harvested, they even have an nursery to grow the new trees. This Ebony also has beautiful grain to parts of it, which negates it's usage in things like piano keys and other traditional uses that require all black wood, which means a decrease of wasted wood. Both Buck and Taylor Guitars have joined up to use and promote this sustainable hardwood product, google "Crelicam", it's an interesting read. https://crelicam.com/
That's nice ::tu::
I like pitch black ebony, but I also like the ebony Buck is using that has some variation in the color. I actually think I like it a little better than the pitch black. Its more interesting with some variety. This has been a "process" :D
Here's an ebony 55 I bought. At first I was disappointed that it wasn't pitch black. It grew on me to the point where I like it better with some brown mixed in. The side that looks black is more black/brown in real life. Photographs blacker than it is.
Ebony55.JPG
Ebony55-2.JPG
Mike
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

Excellent knife, I love my ebony 55 too!
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Nice 55.. ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

"Macasser" ebony, no?
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Tsar Bomba wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:45 pm "Macasser" ebony, no?
Its "Crelicam" ebony from Africa. Isn't Macassar ebony from Indonesia?
Mike
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Read about Crelicam Ebony here: https://crelicam.com/
BCCI Member #2863
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

This one was a steal and deal. Couldn't pass it up.
Attachments
Buck Bantam BLW 285 Clampak.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Nice pickup, Jerry. Those Bantams make for really nice EDC's. Glad you found one at a good price.

BTW: I've finally ordered my 'Blue Line' Spitfire 722. ::groove::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC06163.JPG
Like this?? :lol: ::tu::
Click on pic..
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

That's the one, John. ::tu:: Not sure if I'm going to carry it or not.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

My Buck 112 arrived in the mail, oak handles, 5160 drop-point blade. Great fit and finish, perfectly centered blade. All unique features, a real shame Buck ruined the appearance with a grotesquely oversized nail-nick, especially since it doesn’t even need one! I’ll save it for using as a gift sometime. It would be a really cool knife if it hadn’t been uglied up! OH
Attachments
6874A723-71F5-42F6-BC48-9C2E83A9D051.jpeg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Old Hunter wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:06 pm My Buck 112 arrived in the mail, oak handles, 5160 drop-point blade. Great fit and finish, perfectly centered blade. All unique features, a real shame Buck ruined the appearance with a grotesquely oversized nail-nick, especially since it doesn’t even need one! I’ll save it for using as a gift sometime. It would be a really cool knife if it hadn’t been uglied up! OH
I have a '74-80 without the nail nick; which I don't want to send off ,but the factory blade is in such bad shape. Worn down heavily, and it has a ding that will wear the blade down to near-nothing if I even dare try to remove it. I don't see why Buck even bothers with nail nicks. I can pinch the blade open, or even just hold the blade and let the handle drop open. It would save money not having to cut/stamp it in as well.
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Old Hunter wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:06 pm My Buck 112 arrived in the mail, oak handles, 5160 drop-point blade. Great fit and finish, perfectly centered blade. All unique features, a real shame Buck ruined the appearance with a grotesquely oversized nail-nick, especially since it doesn’t even need one! I’ll save it for using as a gift sometime. It would be a really cool knife if it hadn’t been uglied up! OH
Ya know, now that you mention that I looked again at my newish 112 Drop Point and you are right OH, that nail nick is huge. Now it will be the only thing I notice when I open it up, but I always knew there was something making it look a bit weird, I just didn't know why; now I do.. That's why I had no guilt deciding to make it a user, I just didn't know that decision was a subconscious one because of that nail nick. I wonder if they will even allow folks to order it without one? Nice handles though, in my case I got the new Crelicam Ebony handles which I love.
BCCI Member #2863
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Good thoughts gents. Making it a user is a valid option, but I already have three others and at least 7 or 8 Buck 110 users. Probably put it in the footlocker where the “Not Used Knives” go - there to fish out when I need a gift to give. I’m just going to return to patiently waiting for old Buck’s to show up in antique malls, AAPK stores, and pawnshops - that way I can eyeball the knife or the picture and coon finger the local ones some before I decide. OH
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Old Hunter wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:56 pm Good thoughts gents. Making it a user is a valid option, but I already have three others and at least 7 or 8 Buck 110 users. Probably put it in the footlocker where the “Not Used Knives” go - there to fish out when I need a gift to give. I’m just going to return to patiently waiting for old Buck’s to show up in antique malls, AAPK stores, and pawnshops - that way I can eyeball the knife or the picture and coon finger the local ones some before I decide. OH
Good point, I have five other 112's in various versions, and three 110's too. Plus 15 other knives in my EDC rotation; maybe I need to thin that down?.......naww, I need more!
I like AAPK Stores too, good place to look for specific things and hard-to-find models. Surprisingly thrift stores have been good places for me locally, I have found real jewels in our local thrifts.
BCCI Member #2863
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

OH...I went to C&C and looked at the 112 oak 5160 drop point you bought and compared it to the one you've shown that you received. The photos at C&C does NOT show that large of a nail nick like in your knife, and the oak wood is much lighter in the C&C photo. Your knife almost looks as though it's walnut.

Am I looking at this all wrong? Anyone else see what I'm seeing? You should have received exactly what they offered at C&C. That nail nick is terrible looking. Maybe I'm being too picky, but it just doesn't seem like you received what they were selling. imho

PS:

Here's the comparison of the two.
Attachments
C&C STOCK PHOTO
C&C STOCK PHOTO
What OH received
What OH received
LJ

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

LJ, Thanks for the comparison photos. In looking at the pictures I think the nicks are about the same size (the one on mine is slightly wider - probably normal variance) but I think it’s the darkening or bluing of the nick on my knife that makes it look so “stark”. As this is 5160 steel it should blue readily - might give that a try and I think the nick will “fade in” so to speak. Other than being ugly it is a fine knife, I could be being too picky here, so I will think it over and decide. Once the blade is blued a natural patina will also develop over time, contributing to a less obvious nick. I just don’t get why they cut in the nick at all (colored or natural) - its not needed. OH

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”