Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by jerryd6818 »

Colonel, they have dropped several variations into the market lately. (red, blue, yellow and black) It's tempting but they're also asking almost double what they got for the original grey, green and orange editions. For cryin' out loud! It's just a different color of anodizing. :x
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I know what you mean, I don’t keep up with the pricing on that model but it was around $50 (a bit more maybe) and I wondered if that wasn’t a steep price jump. OH
Ps. I dropped your handle “JerryD” in a Blade Forums thread on the Camillus 72 - those boys are hoping you will drop by with some answers.
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Old Hunter wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:04 am I know what you mean, I don’t keep up with the pricing on that model but it was around $50 (a bit more maybe) and I wondered if that wasn’t a steep price jump. OH
Ps. I dropped your handle “JerryD” in a Blade Forums thread on the Camillus 72 - those boys are hoping you will drop by with some answers.
Couldn't find it. You have a URL?
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks Colonel. Posted my 2¢ worth.

I noticed I joined BF on Dec 28, 2006 and only have 215 posts. I guess it's pretty obvious what forum I prefer. :lol:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thanks for helping those fellows out. I know I rarely see you there. I enjoy both knife communities, different folks mostly and different on-line cultures - I seem to fit into both okay. Not new, but worth a look - carrying my 2018 Blade Forums Buck Club knife today. OH
Attachments
05E6BE0D-E586-4F78-A7B3-815EABF8A0F0.jpeg
22B7B9E6-43A2-4526-85A1-D28399CDE3EC.jpeg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Glad I could be of some help.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Old Hunter wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:29 pm Thanks for helping those fellows out. I know I rarely see you there. I enjoy both knife communities, different folks mostly and different on-line cultures - I seem to fit into both okay. Not new, but worth a look - carrying my 2018 Blade Forums Buck Club knife today. OH
That's a nice one OH!
David
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

This Buck Wrangler 307 arrived in the mail today. Use to look at them in the catalogs back in the day and always wanted one but never got around to it till now. Guess its better late than never. It's a real hand full. :D
Attachments
IMG_9757.JPG
David
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

DM11 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:17 am This Buck Wrangler 307 arrived in the mail today. Use to look at them in the catalogs back in the day and always wanted one but never got around to it till now. Guess its better late than never. It's a real hand full. :D
I love Jumbo Stockmen! Trapper-size main blade, but the selection I'm used to with the Stockman. Maybe Buck will make one again while they're in the process of ditching the 7XX knives and retooling the 3XX series. Been looking for a 307 for a while myself, but most either look like they've seen a lot of wear and tear, or are pricey. I don't have one made in America, however. I have a German Buck Creek and a Chinese Rough Rider. Currently, the Case 75 pattern is looking like my most reasonable option.
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

One of these years I'll run across a Buck 307 at a price that I'm willing to pay, or not. It is a Camillus Stockman that was also sold with the same stainless blades under the Camillus brand. Camillus even used some of the same black saw cut Delrin on knives sold under their own brand. I got my black Camillus off evil bay in like new condition for $30 to $35. Camillus branded ones were also made with "Indian Stag" Delrin and as one of the .22 Rimfire Cartridge knives. The one I carry the most is branded Remington and has blades made out of Camillus' standard 1095 carbon steel. They are a good fit in a Case Trapper pouch.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Like MSJ said, look for the other Camillus variations - Green/Yellow delrin with the Remington label, Sears Craftsman (black Delrin with ACA etch), and the Camillus tang stamp itself. $50 for a new one is quite doable. OH
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I'll start keeping an out for a Camillus/Buck 307 pattern Stockman branded Craftsman. I think I can tell them apart from other Craftsman Stockmans but if there any other tell tale signs that identify them I'd like to hear about them. If there are no others over 4" long it will be easy. Does the Craftsman version have stainless blades? It is my understanding that all Remington's have 1095 blades, all Buck 307s, Camillus Sword brand and .22 Rimfire Cartridge series have 440A blades, and other Camillus branded variations could have either steel.

I can report buying a 1992 Buck Model 422 today. Essentially a 422 is a Model 112 blade between all plastic sides. The current version has much thinner sides. The older 422 retains the 112's thick handle which I prefer and two hand opening. Once again I bought a Buck because it was inexpensive, $10 out the door of a local gun store including its well worn black leather pouch. However, its condition is definitely user/loaner grade. A moron broke off the tip but at least they reshaped it nicely.

One of these days I'll be able to report buying a better Buck, maybe one with stag. Sooner or later I'll run across one that I can not resist.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

The Buck 722 SpitFire showed up from the Custom Knife Shop and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I went with WVU Mountaineer team colors, fitting that they won their last game of the season Saturday night. Initially I was pleasantly surprised at how light weight this knife is, but the S35VN should be able to handle any big cutting job. Nice presentation box and signed certificate too. Slim, compact and durable, I love this Buck! ::tu:: ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_20191201_222234594.jpg
IMG_20191201_222048273.jpg
IMG_20191201_222434650.jpg
IMG_20191201_222822817~2.jpg
IMG_20191201_222536381.jpg
IMG_20191201_222637940.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Good looking knife 67RR!
David
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

67RedRider that is a fine looking custom Buck! OH
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:02 am The Buck 722 SpitFire showed up from the Custom Knife Shop and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I went with WVU Mountaineer team colors, fitting that they won their last game of the season Saturday night. Initially I was pleasantly surprised at how light weight this knife is, but the S35VN should be able to handle any big cutting job. Nice presentation box and signed certificate too. Slim, compact and durable, I love this Buck! ::tu:: ::tu::
Sweet knife! Those 722's are nice and yours is very unique with some great steel. Congratulations!
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

John, is that a custom yellow. It looks much brighter than their current stock yellow. I need to get a red, yellow, blue and black to get my Spitfires back up to snuff & have all the colors.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:31 am John, is that a custom yellow. It looks much brighter than their current stock yellow. I need to get a red, yellow, blue and black to get my Spitfires back up to snuff & have all the colors.
Jerry, they call it Dewalt Yellow and if you click on my first picture and enlarge it's printed on the box label. The blue is actually called NRA Blue, just in case you were wondering. You can also go with Tumbled Black or Silver hardware (spring, clip and screws), I went with Tumbled Black. They do handle and blade etching too. Here's a link to the Custom Knife Shop- https://www.buckknives.com/custom-knife-shop/

I love the contrast and how it turned out, just under $100 delivered due to a special they were running. Thanks for the compliments! ::handshake::

John

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:36 pm just under $100 delivered due to a special they were running.

John
Ouch!! As good as that looks, I think I'll stick to the over the counter colors. I became accustomed to paying ~$30 for my first three 722's (green, gray and orange) and you can still get Black and Brown for that. You can pick up a yellow one for ~$40 but a red or blue will run you slightly over $50. White with a black blade? Now you're talking in the neighborhood of $75. In my book, a bit much for two slabs of aluminum, a lockbar and a blade.

Love the 722's and that's a dozy you have there.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Another Custom Shop order just arrived today. Exactly 30 days after I placed the order. Not too shabby considering Buck advises 4-6 weeks for delivery.

Model 503 in a handle material that Buck recently added to the Custom Shop options. Sunset Jigged Bone.
Attachments
503 1.JPG
503 2.JPG
503 3.JPG
503 4.JPG
Rick T.

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Great looking color and jigging, I love those mirror polished bolsters too! ::tu:: ::tu::

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Oh my Rick. That is a beauty.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

I concur! That Buck is gorgeous!
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Thanks for the compliments guys!
Rick T.

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”