Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
leewiggins63

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by leewiggins63 »

KLJ77 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:30 pm Greetings, Lee, Welcome to AAPK. Hope you stick around and join in.

Thanks LF, I will hang around. Are most of the limited editions in 1000 piece runs? I did an exhaustive search only found one on a site called worthpoint.com and they want you to sign up to their site to see the sale price. I assumed that it might be fairly rare because of the 1000 piece run. Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably add it to the decor in my RV. Although, I would sell it if I found a sale to compare it to.

Lee
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Lee,

No, Buck does a myriad of different Limited Editions. Some may be a run of 100, 200, 500, 1000, 3000, and as high as 5000, depending on the model of knife being offered. Nevertheless, your 164 / 1000 is nothing to spit at. I have no doubt that; if you were to find the right person, you could triple your money on your LE.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

leewiggins63 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:02 pm
KLJ77 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:30 pm Greetings, Lee, Welcome to AAPK. Hope you stick around and join in.

Thanks LF, I will hang around. Are most of the limited editions in 1000 piece runs? I did an exhaustive search only found one on a site called worthpoint.com and they want you to sign up to their site to see the sale price. I assumed that it might be fairly rare because of the 1000 piece run. Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably add it to the decor in my RV. Although, I would sell it if I found a sale to compare it to.

Lee
The best way to determine a knife's value, is to do a "Completed Listings" search on ebay. Just search the model you want to investigate, then when results come up scroll down to the bottom left side of that page to a small box that says "completed listings" and click on that. Results listed in green are those that the knife actually sold for in the real world. Never ever believe a Buy It Now price on ebay as a source for price points, those are professional sellers who think they know what a particular knife is worth, but they don't actually know much of anything but want you to think they do, they are most often way too high than reality.
BCCI Member #2863
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Baykeeper wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:25 am

Lee
The best way to determine a knife's value, is to do a "Completed Listings" search on ebay. Just search the model you want to investigate, then when results come up scroll down to the bottom left side of that page to a small box that says "completed listings" and click on that. Results listed in green are those that the knife actually sold for in the real world. Never ever believe a Buy It Now price on ebay as a source for price points, those are professional sellers who think they know what a particular knife is worth, but they don't actually know much of anything but want you to think they do, they are most often way too high than reality.
BCCI Member #2863
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Baykeeper wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:26 am
Baykeeper wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:25 am
BCCI Member #2863
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Quite a new addition(s) today. I missed getting a Buck #101 Hunter fixed blade, other than the #101 Fixed Blade BCCI Club Knife with Carbon Fiber Swirl Handles and S30V steel I have, but I wanted a "user" version. I emailed Buck and asked whether they were going to make any more #101's or the #111 Folding Hunter. They responded that those models were not in their immediate plans, and since I had missed getting a #101 from Buck at the BCCI price, I found then available at Copper and Clad, where they had one left in stock so I grabbed it. I also noticed they had one of their Buck exclusives, a #111 Folding Hunter with Sloped Brass Bolsters, Rosewood Handles and Stone Washed 420hc Drop Point Blade so I grabbed that too. I found out later that I got the only remaining knife so those are gone now too. The #101 might be available elsewhere, but neither Buck or C and C have them now, and they won't be coming back any time soon according to Buck. I didn't start out to get the last of the last anything, I was just responding to that irresistible addictive urge to buy more Buck knives, but fate rewarded me with these, (my credit card has run away from home because of this, but it will return when it gets hungry). I love the #111 by the way, now that's a cool Folding Hunter if you ask me. The #101 has Crelicam Ebony Handles and regular 420hc steel, but I think they make for a cool fixed blade. Both came with stock Buck Black Leather Sheaths. Why? Take a look at the photos and you'll see why.
Attachments
New2.jpg
New3.jpg
BCCI Member #2863
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

BayKeeper,

Those are two GREAT additions that are hard to come by. Glad you were able to find them and pick them up. ::tu:: Back in February 2019, I had the opportunity to snatch up a Custom Buck 111 folder, 1 of 250, w/Serial # 111, (0111LM/SSP1-R) 05/13/2008 for $155.00. I got lucky on that one. In April of 2019, I was able to add the 101 to my collection. It was a President's Tour LE and has been signed by CJ & Lori Buck.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Nice ::tu::

I just picked up a 112 charcoal, drop point, 5160 from C&C:
112 5160 6.JPG
Mike
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thats my next Ranger ::tu:: ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

KLJ77 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:42 am BayKeeper,

Those are two GREAT additions that are hard to come by. Glad you were able to find them and pick them up. ::tu:: Back in February 2019, I had the opportunity to snatch up a Custom Buck 111 folder, 1 of 250, w/Serial # 111, (0111LM/SSP1-R) 05/13/2008 for $155.00. I got lucky on that one. In April of 2019, I was able to add the 101 to my collection. It was a President's Tour LE and has been signed by CJ & Lori Buck.
Thanks, that #111 is truly a looker, sorry I spent the money but oh so happy I did, I will be hesitant to use it but that's why I bought it. I also am posting a comparison photo of both my #101's, the BCCI Club Knife is the one with two bolsters, swirly Carbon Fiber handles, S35V steel, (listed incorrectly above as S30V), but I think the reason I like the stock version so much is the lack of a back bolster, that gives it a distinctive look. I think the BCCI knife will be going in for a SPA treatment soon, even though it has never been used. It has been out on display for a couple of years so it has some tarnish on the bolsters that I can't seem to polish out by hand, I am sure Buck will be able to do that though.
Attachments
101's.jpg
BCCI Member #2863
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Real nice pick-ups Baykeeper and Breeze!!! ::handshake:: ::tu:: 8) ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Nothing especially special, just a "stock" 2011 #302. I have every other model of the 300 Series, (several spares of each also), but started out only collecting Camillus-made 300's made between 1966- 1986, (yes I know the first 4-5 years were made by Schrade), and all the Camillus-made SFO's up to around the year 2000. But after getting all those models I realized that though not made by CC, this Buck-made #302 would fill in that missing number between #301 & #303, so I finally decided I would get one to fill that hole. It was surprisingly hard to find, but one eventually showed up at a reasonable price. Now, my favorite 300's have always been the Buck-made versions from 1986 to around 2000 made in El Cajon. I found that those CA made knives were far and away superior to any other of the series made elsewhere, the most well made examples of that series IMHO. I don't know why but 300 Series knives made after they moved to Idaho seemed substandard in the cut, grind and construction of those knives, every one I handled had wiggly blades, etc, etc. That's just my opinion of course, so you can imagine my surprise when I found this Idaho-made #302 to be a great, very well made pocket knife, I don't know why I waited so long to get one. At 4" closed it's big enough to use but not too big for the pocket. Construction is as near to perfect as can be, and it has walk and talk all day long. So, now I have all the model numbers covered of the 300 Series, and now can concentrate on the ever endless "versions". I notice these days that the only examples of the series left in the Buck online catalog is the #301 & #303, and personally I see that as tragic. Along with the #110 Folding Hunter, the #300 Series is what grew the company so I think discontinuing the other models was an awful decision, and I hope they reconsider, (fat chance of that, they just hired a new company president to replace Joe Howser, and the guy is supposedly an "expert" and big fan of imported sports equipment, prepare to be disappointed folks, big changes coming, and a lot of imported knives too). Anyway, here it is, a fine example of American industrial power.
Attachments
302zz.jpg
302a.jpg
BCCI Member #2863
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Baykeeper wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:36 am Nothing especially special, just a "stock" 2011 #302. I have every other model of the 300 Series, (several spares of each also), but started out only collecting Camillus-made 300's made between 1966- 1986, (yes I know the first 4-5 years were made by Schrade), and all the Camillus-made SFO's up to around the year 2000. But after getting all those models I realized that though not made by CC, this Buck-made #302 would fill in that missing number between #301 & #303, so I finally decided I would get one to fill that hole. It was surprisingly hard to find, but one eventually showed up at a reasonable price. Now, my favorite 300's have always been the Buck-made versions from 1986 to around 2000 made in El Cajon. I found that those CA made knives were far and away superior to any other of the series made elsewhere, the most well made examples of that series IMHO. I don't know why but 300 Series knives made after they moved to Idaho seemed substandard in the cut, grind and construction of those knives, every one I handled had wiggly blades, etc, etc. That's just my opinion of course, so you can imagine my surprise when I found this Idaho-made #302 to be a great, very well made pocket knife, I don't know why I waited so long to get one. At 4" closed it's big enough to use but not too big for the pocket. Construction is as near to perfect as can be, and it has walk and talk all day long. So, now I have all the model numbers covered of the 300 Series, and now can concentrate on the ever endless "versions". I notice these days that the only examples of the series left in the Buck online catalog is the #301 & #303, and personally I see that as tragic. Along with the #110 Folding Hunter, the #300 Series is what grew the company so I think discontinuing the other models was an awful decision, and I hope they reconsider, (fat chance of that, they just hired a new company president to replace Joe Howser, and the guy is supposedly an "expert" and big fan of imported sports equipment, prepare to be disappointed folks, big changes coming, and a lot of imported knives too). Anyway, here it is, a fine example of American industrial power.
I have several 302's. Its a favorite of mine. Glad you finally discovered its wonderfulness :D
5 302 group shot 1 cropped3.jpg
Mike
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Breeze wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:15 am
Baykeeper wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:36 am Nothing especially special, just a "stock" 2011 #302. I have every other model of the 300 Series, (several spares of each also), but started out only collecting Camillus-made 300's made between 1966- 1986, (yes I know the first 4-5 years were made by Schrade), and all the Camillus-made SFO's up to around the year 2000. But after getting all those models I realized that though not made by CC, this Buck-made #302 would fill in that missing number between #301 & #303, so I finally decided I would get one to fill that hole. It was surprisingly hard to find, but one eventually showed up at a reasonable price. Now, my favorite 300's have always been the Buck-made versions from 1986 to around 2000 made in El Cajon. I found that those CA made knives were far and away superior to any other of the series made elsewhere, the most well made examples of that series IMHO. I don't know why but 300 Series knives made after they moved to Idaho seemed substandard in the cut, grind and construction of those knives, every one I handled had wiggly blades, etc, etc. That's just my opinion of course, so you can imagine my surprise when I found this Idaho-made #302 to be a great, very well made pocket knife, I don't know why I waited so long to get one. At 4" closed it's big enough to use but not too big for the pocket. Construction is as near to perfect as can be, and it has walk and talk all day long. So, now I have all the model numbers covered of the 300 Series, and now can concentrate on the ever endless "versions". I notice these days that the only examples of the series left in the Buck online catalog is the #301 & #303, and personally I see that as tragic. Along with the #110 Folding Hunter, the #300 Series is what grew the company so I think discontinuing the other models was an awful decision, and I hope they reconsider, (fat chance of that, they just hired a new company president to replace Joe Howser, and the guy is supposedly an "expert" and big fan of imported sports equipment, prepare to be disappointed folks, big changes coming, and a lot of imported knives too). Anyway, here it is, a fine example of American industrial power.
I have several 302's. Its a favorite of mine. Glad you finally discovered its wonderfulness :D
5 302 group shot 1 cropped3.jpg
And now the never ending search for "versions", I can see what's available from your photo. Here we go again!
BCCI Member #2863
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I have a weird suspicion this guy will end up sinking the brand. Hiring someone who doesn't really understand what is being produced and sold is a mistake, always in my view. They may be an expert in sporting equipment, but they don't know knives, and they sure as heck don't get the Buck brand. Especially given how three major players in the American cutlery scene (Camillus, Schrade, Queen) all went under within 20 years' time. Buck is a household name, but also, I think a major thing is that they are USA made. Boker produces almost nothing in Germany, and seem to have discontinued their more reasonably priced Solingen offerings in favor of Chinese models. Gerber has a big lineup of Chinese knives, Bear does too--and they are all I find in stores here. While CRKT (automatics) and SOG (some folders, most fixed blades) have USA-made options, I never find them in stores. It's usually their cheaper fare. Aside from Klein and Proto contract knives (all of mine came from online and/or used), every Utica I've found in a store here has been Chinese-made. Camillus and Schrade are now just brandnames to stick on smurf from China.

I need to get the 302. I have a one-blade Colonial Stockman, and it's thin but tough. I have the 301 (Buck, 1992 made, 1993 etch for local quarry's Christmas gift), 303 (Camillus), and 305 (early Buck; 1987?). In my opinion, the 300 series is as good as the 110, but more practical. The steel pins and liners make them MUCH stronger than the typical Camillus/Schrade/Case of the era in which they were made.

I've always said the best thing Buck can do is discontinue all the imports. They can produce things like the Bantams or the LTs HERE at a price that undercuts Chinese models from CRKT and Kershaw in most stores, so why the smurf do they need ANY at all? Heck, and if I recall, the Bantam series was brought back FROM China to Idaho. Part of the reason I'm not a big fan of Gerber is the fact that 3/4 of the catalog is imports, and most of what "big box" stores will sell. I rarely, if ever buy a Chinese knife these days, even on sale. My first in a long time is a CRKT fixed blade I ordered without realizing it was made in China, not Taiwan.
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

cody6268 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:25 am

I have a weird suspicion this guy will end up sinking the brand. Hiring someone who doesn't really understand what is being produced and sold is a mistake, always in my view. They may be an expert in sporting equipment, but they don't know knives, and they sure as heck don't get the Buck brand. Especially given how three major players in the American cutlery scene (Camillus, Schrade, Queen) all went under within 20 years' time. Buck is a household name, but also, I think a major thing is that they are USA made. Boker produces almost nothing in Germany, and seem to have discontinued their more reasonably priced Solingen offerings in favor of Chinese models. Gerber has a big lineup of Chinese knives, Bear does too--and they are all I find in stores here. While CRKT (automatics) and SOG (some folders, most fixed blades) have USA-made options, I never find them in stores. It's usually their cheaper fare. Aside from Klein and Proto contract knives (all of mine came from online and/or used), every Utica I've found in a store here has been Chinese-made. Camillus and Schrade are now just brandnames to stick on smurf from China.

I need to get the 302. I have a one-blade Colonial Stockman, and it's thin but tough. I have the 301 (Buck, 1992 made, 1993 etch for local quarry's Christmas gift), 303 (Camillus), and 305 (early Buck; 1987?). In my opinion, the 300 series is as good as the 110, but more practical. The steel pins and liners make them MUCH stronger than the typical Camillus/Schrade/Case of the era in which they were made.

I've always said the best thing Buck can do is discontinue all the imports. They can produce things like the Bantams or the LTs HERE at a price that undercuts Chinese models from CRKT and Kershaw in most stores, so why the smurf do they need ANY at all? Heck, and if I recall, the Bantam series was brought back FROM China to Idaho. Part of the reason I'm not a big fan of Gerber is the fact that 3/4 of the catalog is imports, and most of what "big box" stores will sell. I rarely, if ever buy a Chinese knife these days, even on sale. My first in a long time is a CRKT fixed blade I ordered without realizing it was made in China, not Taiwan.
It worries me that the new guy isn't a Buck family member, the first non family person ever on their board, and from what I have read he has a lot of experience with import supply chains of sporting goods equipment, so I'm sure he will put that experience to work with Buck. Buck has mostly eliminated "vintage" style pocket knives already anyway, traditional fixed blades too, everything new is trendy kid's stuff with no specific purpose as a tool, just "cool" to look at, and that in itself is worrisome. I think they need to be reminded of where they came from, and what made it work for them and for us their customers. I was attracted to Buck due to it's family oriented approach and it's history, and that seems to be on the chopping block right now. This new guy is a "suit" with no experience with this company, or knowledge of it's roots, or experience as a knife maker, or hands on experience in manufacturing in general; what the heck are they thinking? Joe became a master knife maker who spent as much time at a workbench as he did at his desk. That's what the company needs, someone who knows which end of a screwdriver to use, not an "executive". I think the new guy will probably only be able to see and respect dollar signs, and that will be a real pity.
BCCI Member #2863
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Syd,

With all due respect, I have not found anything regarding Mr. Tobiassen being an 'expert' sports equipment importer. What I have found is: He has been:

President of Smith & Wesson the Firearms Division of American Outdoor Brands, and led the marketing, product development and sales functions at the firearms manufacturer, which included Smith & Wesson, M&P, Performance Center, and Thompson/Center firearms brands.

Prior to that, he spent 14 years with Crimson Trace, the tactical laser sight and sport optics company in the roles of marketing director, president and CEO.

Before Crimson Trace, Tobiassen served as vice president of marketing with LaCrosse Footwear for LaCrosse and Danner, Inc brands.

He also served on the Board of Directors for Nosler, Inc., the ammunition and hunting rifle manufacturer, and was a founding member of a Vistage CEO Group.

This is not a light-weight resume.

As for being the first non-Buck family member to hold the President position...I would not sell him short yet. His expertise and experience in marketing and development, along with holding positions of CEO & President of various other companies, are just some of the reasons Lori & CJ Buck hired 'outside' the family. They chose to hire outside, because there is no one else in the Buck family with the expertise and experience to help move the company forward in the direction they want to go. Trust me...CJ and Lori are NOT stupid people who hire someone like this on impulse. Are they taking a risk with this guy? Maybe. But then, what business today isn't taking a risk? If this guy doesn't work out, Lori will have no issue in sending him packing and look for someone else.

I believe we'll know, within six months, (by Sept / Oct) what this guy is made of and if his marketing skills & ideas enhance the Buck status in production and design and reputation.
LJ

Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

KLJ77 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:44 pm Syd,

With all due respect, I have not found anything regarding Mr. Tobiassen being an 'expert' sports equipment importer. What I have found is: He has been:

President of Smith & Wesson the Firearms Division of American Outdoor Brands, and led the marketing, product development and sales functions at the firearms manufacturer, which included Smith & Wesson, M&P, Performance Center, and Thompson/Center firearms brands.

Prior to that, he spent 14 years with Crimson Trace, the tactical laser sight and sport optics company in the roles of marketing director, president and CEO.

Before Crimson Trace, Tobiassen served as vice president of marketing with LaCrosse Footwear for LaCrosse and Danner, Inc brands.

He also served on the Board of Directors for Nosler, Inc., the ammunition and hunting rifle manufacturer, and was a founding member of a Vistage CEO Group.

This is not a light-weight resume.

As for being the first non-Buck family member to hold the President position...I would not sell him short yet. His expertise and experience in marketing and development, along with holding positions of CEO & President of various other companies, are just some of the reasons Lori & CJ Buck hired 'outside' the family. They chose to hire outside, because there is no one else in the Buck family with the expertise and experience to help move the company forward in the direction they want to go. Trust me...CJ and Lori are NOT stupid people who hire someone like this on impulse. Are they taking a risk with this guy? Maybe. But then, what business today isn't taking a risk? If this guy doesn't work out, Lori will have no issue in sending him packing and look for someone else.

I believe we'll know, within six months, (by Sept / Oct) what this guy is made of and if his marketing skills & ideas enhance the Buck status in production and design and reputation.
I paraphrased a statement I read using those same exact words. Ok, I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but what I said is indeed very possible, maybe even probable. I don't discount Lori's knowledge or experience in the least, and I just hope CJ takes after his dad and granddad and take the president's job himself. The fact that he didn't is disturbing in itself. Point being there will now be a non mechanically oriented, non family corporate person in charge, who knows only corporate ways of thinking, corporate ways of doing things, which is and could be disastrous for Buck. Like I said earlier, Buck, for some reason is putting less emphasis on traditional models. Many of the models they have discontinued were extremely popular, and helped put them on the map, unfortunately I see no change in that thinking yet. I feel focusing on what made the company work all these years is being swept under the rug, their choice of what not to make is more telling than what they do make. If I'm wrong so be it, but I fear I'm not.
BCCI Member #2863
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Just found this WENGER knife with a BUCK sticker on both sides of the handles. Is this all legit?
Attachments
2E70ADC1-5538-43D7-9F0D-D6CB2C6A3AAC.jpeg
6B37CD69-D401-4B67-BDE2-1D7B507C478A.jpeg
4D4E088F-7C22-4FA5-83CC-A7E0D99B2B0C.jpeg
B64B8560-2B79-4441-B2A0-A5578F0F991F.jpeg
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Ben,

Yes...it's legit. Buck and Wenger collaborated back in 1992 - 1998, and Wenger made the SwissBuck knives. Check this link...a lot of these SwissBucks are rare models. You might just have one. ::tu:: Nevertheless...it's NOT a throw-away knife, it's a keeper.

https://www.smartknives.com/Wenger-Swis ... nives.html
LJ

Jtx
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Jtx »

I got this Buck-USA Budgie a few days ago. It is a liner lock with a 2" blade. Great for small jobs.
Attachments
IMG_3520.jpeg
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Jtx wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:54 pm I got this Buck-USA Budgie a few days ago. It is a liner lock with a 2" blade. Great for small jobs.
Nice one Lee!! 👍🎩👍
John ✌️
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Jtx
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Jtx »

jmh58 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:40 pm
Jtx wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:54 pm I got this Buck-USA Budgie a few days ago. It is a liner lock with a 2" blade. Great for small jobs.
Nice one Lee!! 👍🎩👍
John ✌️
Thanks John. It is a fun little knife.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I've taken more of an interest in really small knives with really good steel. Seems finally, the cutlery companies are beginning to realize the little guys are really neglected in the handle and blade steel department; and giving them the same treatment as the bigger knives.

The Buck Budgie really got my attention when it was announced.
Jtx
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Jtx »

cody6268 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:10 am
I've taken more of an interest in really small knives with really good steel. Seems finally, the cutlery companies are beginning to realize the little guys are really neglected in the handle and blade steel department; and giving them the same treatment as the bigger knives.

The Buck Budgie really got my attention when it was announced.
It caught my attention, too. I am enjoying using it. :D

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”