Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Modern Slip Joints

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Baykeeper,

Thank-you for posting 300Bucks' 4 pages of 300 series history. I had not seen them before. If having more than one Buck knife and intending to buy more sometime makes a Buck collector then I was a Buck collector when I bought my first 110 to go with my 301 about 1970. My recent purchase of a stag 110 with BG-42 blade that I might never use seems to confirm that. However, I have not looked into the Buck collectors' club. I like your bone Camillus/Buck Granddaddy Barlow. I often use a Granddady in the yard. Blade locks are frivolous in knives that are used as tools. The simple old design is all I need.

eveled,

While it's too heavy for me to carry over the ridge, up the canyon and back again even without hauling a carcass back, I like your double knife sheath. Queen's similar pair with a lock back's pouch sewn to a hunting knife's sheath is mostly forgotten. Two sizes of fixed blades in a single sheath is a more popular set up. The argument against old fashioned lock backs is that they're are not fast to get out. If you really need a blade quick or your second hand is occupied you can grab the 124.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

garddogg56 wrote:WOW Eveled that is a great idea ::nod:: I think that combo would cover any type of big game hunt ::tu:: ::tu:: I see that for a 119 and a 112 ::super_happy::
We are tracking brother Dogg - I was thinking Buck 118 & 110 - maybe in a side by side sheath like Buck used to offer. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
eveled

Post by eveled »

The other option is to fill the 110 sheath with other stuff. Tinder box fire starter bandage etc.
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

eveled,

If you've kept yourself fit my criticism of your rig's weight would not apply to you so don't take it too seriously. Some of us can't scamper around like we used to.

Thanks to a visit to a gun show I can post a new addition to my Buck family. It is a 1994 Model 180 \ Cross Lock. I bought it for two reasons. First, after giving up on finding a really nice knife I like to at least bring home a souvenir from the long drive. It was $20. Second, even though I consider blade locks to be frivolous I'm attracted to folders that lock multiple blades and I have not seen one set up like this before. Its blades pivot on the same pin but open out of opposite sides of the handle. Both blades open and close one handed with thumb studs and liner locks. both open right handed by rotating the handle 180 degrees. It was a clever design. It is stamped U.S.A. so I assume it was made here. I'd like to know what years Buck cataloged it and if Buck made them with two knife blades instead of mine's drop point and gut hook tool.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

This was in yesterday's mail.
Attachments
Buck 382 Mini-Trapper G-10 - 2014 - Labeled.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Nice Jerry! I remember very nearly buying one when they were in the stores - had nice blade action. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Old Hunter wrote:Nice Jerry! I remember very nearly buying one when they were in the stores - had nice blade action. OH
True. The down side for me is the handles are a little sharp around the edges. They could be slightly radiused to cure that. Other than that, no complaints.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

You get that Jerry with a lot of over-seas Bucks ::shrug:: thats one of the patterns I hope they bring back to our shores.
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

garddogg56 wrote: thats one of the patterns I hope they bring back to our shores.
::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Bought a disfigured Buck 118 (1973-1979 era) from Paladin. Someone’s name electro-penned into the blade and then, to add insult to injury, electo-pen erased! I just worked on removing it, got about 90% out - woulda been better to let Buck do it, but I’m the impatient type. OH
Ps whoever owned it before used a Lansky kit set at 25° to recontour the edge - great job (not a Buck factory type edge but a nice edge) - a few quick swipes on the ceramic sticks and the old 440C is hair-popping sharp.
Attachments
1E539475-1A42-4626-8C9D-4BE96182C267.jpeg
6DB11359-02C2-4003-9799-FBC11FB227B1.jpeg
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Went to a gun show last week and a guy had two Buck knives converted to switch blades. They look like new and the action was good, the only thing that scared me was he only wanted 60 bucks each. Had Made In U.S.A. On the tang. Did I walk away from a goo deal?
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

JKBen, the conversions usually sell for more than that, $150 to $200 if new, but with Buck introducing their own 112 and 110 Auto's I think the value of the aftermarket knives has dropped. Buck only warrants their own production and for the same money you get the Buck lifetime warranty. That said $60 was a heckuva deal - unless they were counterfeits I would have bought one at $60.00. OH
Bucksway

Post by Bucksway »

There is a flood of complete fake auto 112's coming out of China. Round button file work and a realistic tang stamp. Be careful with any that has a round button. One giveaway is the shieth..no Buck on the snap
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

What.. Thin Blue Line Spitfire.. ::super_happy:: Great looking/ feels good in hand/ solid knife.. ::tu:: Locks up with a solid/KOOL... THWACK!! 8) Nicely done on BUCKs end!! ::groove::

Why.. I got my (LEO) daughter Brandy this same knife for Christmas 2017.. Was/am very impressed with it so I bought myself one too.. Like daughter/like father!!! ::nod:: :lol:

John :D

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

John, I've been impressed with the 722 Spitfire (and Walmarts 721 Slimline) since I first saw 'em. I have the Gray, Green and Orange varieties in both the 722's and the 721's plus one of the 726 Mini-Spitfires (not impressed with it). I'm working on talking myself into a Blue 722 and a Red 722 but they're almost twice the price I paid for the other three. :x They're hefty and solid. I like 'em a lot. I don't know why but I don't feel worthy of a Thin Blue Line.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

After I handled Brandys 722, I knew I had to have one.. Choose the Thin Blue Line in support of all the LEOs out there and especially my son and daughter..
Sooo.. You could buy one in support of LEOs.. And that is worthy!! ::nod:: ::tu::

Butch53pig

Post by Butch53pig »

Hello All, I just received a 2000 Buck 505 Malachite without the box so I don't know if it's a 505-SS4-0 or a 505-JCP3-0, does anyone know how many where made? It's a beautiful knife it'll look great next to my 505-JCP1-0! I'm thoroughly addicted to the 500 series. Thanks. Butch
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Butch53pig wrote:Hello All, I just received a 2000 Buck 505 Malachite without the box so I don't know if it's a 505-SS4-0 or a 505-JCP3-0, does anyone know how many where made? It's a beautiful knife it'll look great next to my 505-JCP1-0! I'm thoroughly addicted to the 500 series. Thanks. Butch
So you're not going to show us a picture of it? That's just mean. :mrgreen: ::poke::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Yea mean ::uc::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Butch53pig

Post by Butch53pig »

Sorry about that, i'm ashamed to say that I don't know how to post pictures! I'm not into tech stuff, i'm an old gunsmith shoot i'm lucky to be able to do pics by email! My sincerest apologies folks. Butch
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

Last week, I posted a picture in the 500 Series thread, but hadn’t actually purchased it until I went back two days ago.

“It” is a Duke, 500 made in the early ‘80s.
Has light handling marks but, appears unsharpened and was initially slow-closing at end of “snap.” After a couple dozen or so openings & closings, the snap has greatly improved.

It’s my 4th in the 500 line, but my first Duke.
I offered $30 and the seller took my money. ::ds::
Attachments
B96650F4-BDD2-46AF-849E-2762173B17CA.jpeg
ED28A9E1-6C11-4EE6-976E-24E0BF8BD4BA.jpeg
CCD0A7EE-20AE-42A9-83B8-AFCBDDA3F2EF.jpeg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Butch53pig wrote:Sorry about that, i'm ashamed to say that I don't know how to post pictures! I'm not into tech stuff, i'm an old gunsmith shoot i'm lucky to be able to do pics by email! My sincerest apologies folks. Butch
Uploading pictures to AAPK is as easy as buttering toast. The Tips & Tricks Forum has threads devoted to uploading pictures from most every kind of device with step by step instructions so that old "I don't know how" we see so often just won't hold water. ---► viewforum.php?f=98
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Bill, i am not a Buck collector but i think your Duke is likely worth double what you paid. The handles look to be wood so not as valuable as the earlier Duke with Micarta handles. I think yours dates 1982-85. The Duke is one of Buck's best patterns, a Gent's 112.
If i am off in my value assessment i hope someone corrects it.
kj
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

DSC06149.JPG
What.. Blue Line Spitfire
Why.. To honor ALL who are out there making it safe for us.. And to ALL who gave there lives in the line of duty!!

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Another one. A bargain off eBay. I'm such a sucker for these.
Attachments
Buck 721 (2-8-2019).JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”