Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
cody6268

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by cody6268 »

After wanting one since they first came out, I've got a 110LT Slim Select in blue on the way from Buck direct. On sale for $20, with shipping $28.50. Blue and lime are marked down this low--I picked blue so it would match the 110LT Shield from SK Blades. The ergonomics of the LT Bucks are pretty weird, especially in that I am used to the brass. Plus, not one-hand opening and no clip--meaning I have to sheath up.

This will be a work knife, since at over a 3.5" blade, the 110LT outside of where I live in VA, is too big for EDC (WV won't allow anything over 3.5"; but I'm sure "farm work" is a valid excuse).

0110BLS2-B.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Mine is not an addition but a subtraction. I sent this Buck 722 to my Grandson who is with the Army in Korea.
Buck 2020 Spitfire 722 Gray -Labeled.JPG
This is what he's currently carrying and in my opinion it's impractical and more for show than it is for go.
(yeah, the tattoo is why the Marine Corps wouldn't take him. It's out of USMC regs as far as placement. They're really strict Re: tattoo's these days.)
Jayden's Knife.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Cool deal, Jerry. ::tu::

Who knew Marines couldn't have arm tatts? ::shrug::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:35 pm Cool deal, Jerry. ::tu::

Who knew Marines couldn't have arm tatts? ::shrug::
They can but are regulated as to size and location.
Attachments
USMC Tattoo Regs.png
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Help!!

Somebody talk me down off the ledge. I have enough Buck 722's and I seriously mean enough. But this is such a steal and deal. I am tempted to buy all three of them. ::facepalm:: (There were 4 this morning)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KNIFE-BUCK-KNI ... 4127595425
Attachments
Buck 722 Auction.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:29 pm Help!!

Somebody talk me down off the ledge. I have enough Buck 722's and I seriously mean enough. But this is such a steal and deal. I am tempted to buy all three of them. ::facepalm:: (There were 4 this morning)

And now two. At $22 with tax, I couldn't help it either! It's about $15 cheaper than what my Tractor Supply wants for a 722.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:19 pm

And now two. At $22 with tax, I couldn't help it either! It's about $15 cheaper than what my Tractor Supply wants for a 722.
And they're a dadgummed fine knife, Cody. The temptation continues to rage within me. ::facepalm::

Oh, the heck with it. I bought the last two. I'm so weak. ::smack::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:23 pm

And they're a dadgummed fine knife, Cody. The temptation continues to rage within me. ::facepalm::

We are all very proud of you Grasshopper, well done.
BCCI Member #2863
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

It’s a good thing I’m just now seeing this or I’d have bought them. I’ve been packing my birthday 722 for a few days and good gracious I’m impressed.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Colonel26 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:17 pm

It’s a good thing I’m just now seeing this or I’d have bought them. I’ve been packing my birthday 722 for a few days and good gracious I’m impressed.
Thanks Syd.

Cuz, counting the two I just bought, I have 8 of them (mostly just different colors). I have twice as many Camillus 14's. That's just ridicules but then I'm an idiot.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Sounds like you need to catch up on the number of 722s! lol
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:39 pm
Colonel26 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:17 pm

Thanks Syd.

Cuz, counting the two I just bought, I have 8 of them (mostly just different colors). I twice as many Camillus 14's. That's just ridicules but then I'm an idiot.
Sounds like a collection to me, personally I collect the 300 Series US made knives, and now that I have them all I am looking for different color versions, so like I said, sounds like a collection to me. Btw: collecting "versions" is liable to become a lifelong commitment.
BCCI Member #2863
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

What's the handle material on those, Jerry? Asking because I'm wondering if they could be anodized? Might be a fun project to play around with.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

1967redrider wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:07 pm

What's the handle material is n those, Jerry? Asking because I'm wondering if they could be anodized? Might be a fun project to play around with.
They're Aluminum.

Anodized? Ya think? :lol:
Attachments
Buck 722 Spitfire & Slimline Green - Labeled - Paired.JPG
Buck Spitfire 722ORS1 - Labeled.JPG
Buck 722YW 2019 Spitfire Yellow - Labeled.JPG
Buck 722 Spitfire Red - Labeled.JPG
Buck Spitfire 722BLSSH S30V Blue - Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Nice collection Jerry ::tu:: ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thank ya Bob. There are three more 721's (made for Walmart, slightly different handle profile & no swedge on the blade) and one 726 Mini-Spitfire. Got one 726 and discovered it's not for me. Too small for my hand. (3¾" closed) That extra 3/8" of the Spitfire does make a difference.
Attachments
Buck 726ORS Mini Spitfire - Open Mark.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Too dark for pictures yesterday but the pair of bargain 722 Spitfires showed up in my mailbox. And the 722 that I sent to my Grandson in Korea showed up there. It went half way around the world faster than a knife I returned to a seller in Florida. Amazing.
Attachments
Buck 722 x2.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Nice!!!

I’ve got a black one rfp as we speak. The more I use it the more impressed with it I am. Heck of a knife.
Robert E. Lee
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Two more Buck 300 Series came today, a 2002 #310 Whittler, and a 2004 #303 Cadet, both in excellent condition. The Whittler is now discontinued, but is one of my favorite 300 Series frames, I have 3 and this one is the best of the bunch. At 3" closed this model is the same size as the #309 Companion. The #310 Whittlers I have are the best Whittlers from any maker I have in both fit and finish. I have a Case Seahorse Whittler that rubbed blades as soon as I opened the knife, that was the very first time I opened it too. These little Bucks don't do that, which denotes a very well made knife. The Cadet is just a Cadet except for the nice & shiny wood handles, and it's overall condition is excellent, nearly new actually. Both are prior to Buck's move to Idaho in 2006, and personally the 300 Series knives that came out of San Diego are of a much higher quality than any 300 Series knife I have seen from Idaho, no wonder most of the series has now been discontinued, they just take a lot of skill to make properly. I have several San Diego-made knives, and every one of them is of the highest quality.

Well, this is what happens when you are quarantined, bored and have a credit card. Really, I mean kids are irresponsible and this is the kind of thing a bored kid does, (no matter how old he is).
Attachments
N4.jpg
N1.jpg
BCCI Member #2863
bertl

Post by bertl »

Baykeeper wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:33 am Two more Buck 300 Series came today, a 2002 #310 Whittler, and a 2004 #303 Cadet, both in excellent condition. The Whittler is now discontinued, but is one of my favorite 300 Series frames, I have 3 and this one is the best of the bunch. At 3" closed this model is the same size as the #309 Companion. The #310 Whittlers I have are the best Whittlers from any maker I have in both fit and finish. I have a Case Seahorse Whittler that rubbed blades as soon as I opened the knife, that was the very first time I opened it too. These little Bucks don't do that, which denotes a very well made knife. The Cadet is just a Cadet except for the nice & shiny wood handles, and it's overall condition is excellent, nearly new actually. Both are prior to Buck's move to Idaho in 2006, and personally the 300 Series knives that came out of San Diego are of a much higher quality than any 300 Series knife I have seen from Idaho, no wonder most of the series has now been discontinued, they just take a lot of skill to make properly. I have several San Diego-made knives, and every one of them is of the highest quality.

Well, this is what happens when you are quarantined, bored and have a credit card. Really, I mean kids are irresponsible and this is the kind of thing a bored kid does, (no matter how old he is).
Syd, look at the tang stamp on the 303 and check for any tang stamp on the back of the sheepsfoot blade. Although inexpensive, this is a knife that has some slight historical interest, at least for 303 collectors. The model number is 303WD.

Bert
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

bertl wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:25 pm
Baykeeper wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:33 am Two more Buck 300 Series came today, a 2002 #310 Whittler, and a 2004 #303 Cadet, both in excellent condition. The Whittler is now discontinued, but is one of my favorite 300 Series frames, I have 3 and this one is the best of the bunch. At 3" closed this model is the same size as the #309 Companion. The #310 Whittlers I have are the best Whittlers from any maker I have in both fit and finish. I have a Case Seahorse Whittler that rubbed blades as soon as I opened the knife, that was the very first time I opened it too. These little Bucks don't do that, which denotes a very well made knife. The Cadet is just a Cadet except for the nice & shiny wood handles, and it's overall condition is excellent, nearly new actually. Both are prior to Buck's move to Idaho in 2006, and personally the 300 Series knives that came out of San Diego are of a much higher quality than any 300 Series knife I have seen from Idaho, no wonder most of the series has now been discontinued, they just take a lot of skill to make properly. I have several San Diego-made knives, and every one of them is of the highest quality.

Syd, look at the tang stamp on the 303 and check for any tang stamp on the back of the sheepsfoot blade. Although inexpensive, this is a knife that has some slight historical interest, at least for 303 collectors. The model number is 303WD.

Bert
Thanks for the info Bert, but I have bad news for you and especially for me. There is a mark on the backside tang of the sheepsfoot, but it doesn't say WD, It says "CHINA", "WD" does not appear anywhere. I didn't think they ever made the lower 300's in China, especially 303's, that's why I bought it because I assumed it was a regular US-made 303. All Chinese made Bucks I have ever seen had higher model numbers like 379, 384, etc, etc. I thought the US made model numbers ended at #334 with anything higher than that being Chinese. Now I'm ashamed of myself for buying it, wish the seller had added more photos so I could have seen that mark. Oh well, it now goes into my "to be sold" box, I don't even want to look at it, damn.
BCCI Member #2863
bertl

Post by bertl »

Baykeeper wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:48 pm

Bert
Thanks for the info Bert, but I have bad news for you and especially for me. There is a mark on the backside tang of the sheepsfoot, but it doesn't say WD, It says "CHINA", "WD" does not appear anywhere. I didn't think they ever made the lower 300's in China, especially 303's, that's why I bought it because I assumed it was a regular US-made 303. All Chinese made Bucks I have ever seen had higher model numbers like 379, 384, etc, etc. I thought the US made model numbers ended at #334 with anything higher than that being Chinese. Now I'm ashamed of myself for buying it, wish the seller had added more photos so I could have seen that mark. Oh well, it now goes into my "to be sold" box, I don't even want to look at it, damn.
Syd, I know about China on the sheepsfoot tang (That's why I told you to look.) and that WD doesn't appear anywhere on the knife. If it had come with a box you would have seen 303WD. The 303WD was only made in the last part of 1974. By 1975 the model was changed to 373. Nevertheless, the 303 has the distinction of being the only Buck knife with a US model number that was ever produced in China. If I were you I wouldn't worry about the China part of the knife. It is very well made and is a small bit of history.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:02 pm Too dark for pictures yesterday but the pair of bargain 722 Spitfires showed up in my mailbox. And the 722 that I sent to my Grandson in Korea showed up there. It went half way around the world faster than a knife I returned to a seller in Florida. Amazing.
I am very impressed with mine as well. Really solid (and hard) lockup. It's also one of the few lower-cost American made knives with a four-position pocket clip. I typically carry mine left hand, tip-up. Buck really knows how to make a one-hand opening knife, at an affordable price, and still keep production in the States.
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

bertl wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:18 pm
Baykeeper wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:48 pm

Bert
Syd, I know about China on the sheepsfoot tang (That's why I told you to look.) and that WD doesn't appear anywhere on the knife. If it had come with a box you would have seen 303WD. The 303WD was only made in the last part of 1974. By 1975 the model was changed to 373. Nevertheless, the 303 has the distinction of being the only Buck knife with a US model number that was ever produced in China. If I were you I wouldn't worry about the China part of the knife. It is very well made and is a small bit of history.
Thanks Bert, as usual you teach me something. This is the first time I have heard of that history, so I'll keep the knife for historical reasons and won't sell it; still wish the seller had shown the back side of the blades though. Have a great day Bert, and thanks again.
BCCI Member #2863
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I have a 1992 stamped 1993 etched 301 that was a Christmas gift to employees of a local quarry (seeing as how it had their name on it, I asked a friend of mine who is a retiree of the company, and this is whathe told me). It is etched with the company name and date, as well as a dragline shovel. I don't use or carry it because of this. I saw a modern 301 at my local cutlery store. The main blade did not snap closed. I was pretty disappointed, given I have 80 year old, half worn out knives from all makes with more snap. I use a 1980s 303 from Camillus, and it's a really good knife.

I am buying the Bass Pro 310 in November, due to my long-standing tradition that I pick up a Buck every year around my birthday. Last year, it was a $20 283 Nano Bantam/285 Bantam BLW combo from Tractor Supply. They're good solid low-cost users (and I saved about $20 from buying the two separately locally), but the 310 is much nicer. I'm also hoping I can spring for an affordable 307 Wrangler.

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”