Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Byrd

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by Byrd »

Picked up this 620. Why? I don't really know other than it's a Buck and I don't have anything like it! Been playing around with it and have decided it's kind of light for anything heavy duty. It will be a fun knife. I'm gonna carry it for a while and give it a workout.
Attachments
20200704_095351_HDR.jpg
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Why? I was expecting you to say, "because I could". :mrgreen:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Jerry, your's is a more fun answer! I bought it because I could and I did!
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Byrd,

That 620 Reaper is an awesome knife. There are some great reviews on YouTube, and then, there are some reviews about it where the reviewer abused the crap out of it, destroyed the blade and then wants to blame Buck for its failure. Take some of them with a grain of salt. The Reaper will be a great camping knife. ::tu:: I've got three of them, and have never had an issue with them.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
CHNeal

Post by CHNeal »

I just pulled this from the magic box down by the street. This one is all I had hoped and more. It’s a second version Schrade 301 with the Buck stamp on the secondaries. It is tarnished and so full of factory oil turned sludge that the walk and talk is almost non existent.
It will spend a couple days in a mineral oil bath before getting flushed and oiled. Then like all my knives it will go into my pocket for at least one day.
I absolutely love these old Schrades. The fit and finish is phenomenal. These were made by true craftsmen that obviously took great pride in their work.
The only thing that stops me from carrying one of them as my everyday knife is the nail tearing pull on the secondary’s, especially the Spey blades. It’s the same with the 303. Mains are a bit tough but the secondary’s combination of strong pull and sharp nail nick just destroy my thumb nail.
6AE8BC43-2CDA-4790-B23F-C057C5FF2CC8.jpeg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

This one came in today's mail. I don't know why I buy these (other that I just like 'em) cause they're all the same except for the color. Sigh.
So what does S30V steel get me besides a higher price?
Attachments
Buck Spitfire 722BLSSH S30V Blue - Labeled.JPG
Buck Spitfire 722BLSSH S30V Blue - Steel Etch.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:31 pm So what does S30V steel get me besides a higher price?
More time sharpening? ::shrug::
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Gets you an edge that lasts much longer than the 420HC. But as mentioned by the Tsar, takes more effort to resharpen. Just keep touching it up on ceramic sticks as you use it, then you'll maintain the edge without a lot of additional work. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

New Buck to report, #112 Drop Point w/ Crelicam Ebony handles. Why?? Because I didn't have a drop point Buck in the collection. I also ordered a brown "distressed" Buck sheath for it and surprise surprise, I found that it had been made in the USA, not in Mexico like their current black sheaths, it is nice and soft and has a special embossed button not to be found on their black sheaths. I'll keep the black sheath that came with the knife as a spare. The knife itself doesn't have the normal date code on it, but instead has an anvil in the date code's place. Also got a diamond pocket sharpener, and it works great, I only ordered it to get above the free shipping amount, but now that I have it I love it. This knife will be carried, it's not a special edition or anything so using it will be a no harm no foul situation.

The Crelicam Ebony has quite a story, it is a company in Africa using sustainable methods, and plant a new tree for every one harvested, they even have an nursery to grow the new trees. This Ebony also has beautiful grain to parts of it, which negates it's usage in things like piano keys and other traditional uses that require all black wood, which means a decrease of wasted wood. Both Buck and Taylor Guitars have joined up to use and promote this sustainable hardwood product, google "Crelicam", it's an interesting read. https://crelicam.com/
Attachments
thumbnail 2.jpg
thumbnail 3.jpg
thumbnail 4.jpg
BCCI Member #2863
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thats a beauty Baykeep ::tu::
The tip on them drop points look stout.them handles ::super_happy::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

garddogg56 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:24 pm Thats a beauty Baykeep ::tu::
The tip on them drop points look stout.them handles ::super_happy::
Thanks garddogg, I'm really liking it, makes me wonder why Buck waited so long to offer drop points on their regularly stocked knives, not just for special editions like they have done for years. I'm really also liking the brass bolsters up against that dark wood. Here is a view of the pile side handles, lots of grain on that side too......beautiful!
Attachments
thumbnail 6.jpg
BCCI Member #2863
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Yes it is ::handshake::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

KOOL 112 baykeeper!! 8) Nice set-up ya put together.. ::tu:: ::nod::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

That's a great looking knife. It just "comes together". I can see one of those in my future. I love the 110/112 Bucks but I think their weakness is the tip. The drop point fixes that.
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Byrd wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:42 pm That's a great looking knife. It just "comes together". I can see one of those in my future. I love the 110/112 Bucks but I think their weakness is the tip. The drop point fixes that.
I agree, it does just "comes together" doesn't it? Now that you mention your preference for drop points, I realized that I have seen a lot of 110's with broken blades for sale on ebay, most with the tips gone. It's like a whole bunch of people all of a sudden needed a screwdriver, so they break the tips off of a blade so they can unscrew that pesky screw, (I actually saw a guy do that once, but not with a Buck, think it was an Saber). I know Buck will replace blades on 110's/112's if asked to, but if the broken tip is on a collectible year or version, (like a reversed tang stamp era model), the collector value disappears the moment a new blade is installed, and that new blade will have a modern tang stamp. All of which is actually OK if you just need a user and don't care about collector value, (though collectors will be sobbing in the background if it is a collectible version, lol).
I decided to go ahead and carry this one, and put it into my EDC rotation, reason being is that Buck plans to keep these in stock for awhile, if I feel I need a shelf queen I can order another one later. Can't wait to start using this new one.
BTW: I checked out your profile photo, that's a nice old Thompson; is it functional?
BCCI Member #2863
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

I'd carry it as well. Normally I carry a 110 that I got cheap because of the broken tip and did send back to Buck for a reblade. I'm careful with it though and only use it for slicing...

That is a fully functional Thompson. A gun shop near my brothers home in Illinois rents them! Last November we did just that. We were the only customers in the shop so the owner spent a lot of time with us. Let us fondle the thing, showed us how to disassemble it, etc. He's owned it since the 60's and said it's value now is $45,000!

What fun to shoot! I thought since it was so heavy it would be very controllable. Nope! On full auto it felt like I had a snake in my hands! That's one off my bucket list!
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Byrd wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:38 pm I'd carry it as well. Normally I carry a 110 that I got cheap because of the broken tip and did send back to Buck for a reblade. I'm careful with it though and only use it for slicing...

That is a fully functional Thompson. A gun shop near my brothers home in Illinois rents them! Last November we did just that. We were the only customers in the shop so the owner spent a lot of time with us. Let us fondle the thing, showed us how to disassemble it, etc. He's owned it since the 60's and said it's value now is $45,000!

What fun to shoot! I thought since it was so heavy it would be very controllable. Nope! On full auto it felt like I had a snake in my hands! That's one off my bucket list!
That's cool, I have wanted one of them since I was a kid because Vic Morrow used one in the series "Combat" from the early 60's. There is an old advertisement floating around from the 1920's showing a rancher sitting a horse while holding his trusty Thompson, they used to be available for anyone to buy, (before the government stepped in and outlawed automatic weapons that is).
BCCI Member #2863
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Combat was a great show! I watched it as well! The Thompson was on my bucket list to shoot but I learned real quick that it's not like TV! A friend of mine was a Marine and served in Korea. It was his favorite weapon. He told some interesting stories about how effective in was in close combat. You can use your imagination to figure it out.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Combat! is getting rerun Saturday nights (as part of a WWII/Vietnam block every week) on the H&I channel which is showing up on some cable systems and some OTA channel lineups.

Good show. The block leads off with the '70s series Baa Baa Black Sheep, based on the career of WWII ace Pappy Boyington and his squadron of Corsairs, which is very very good too. ::tu::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Getting back to knives for just a minute. This 722 Spitfire came in today's mail. I don't know what it is about them but when I see one for a bargain, I just can't resist.
Attachments
Buck 2020 Spitfire 722 Gray -Labeled.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Jerry, you are on a Buck Knives roll for sure - nice Buck! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I'm currently keeping this one on my desk to coon finger & chicken eye (play with).
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

jerryd6818 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:15 pm Getting back to knives for just a minute. This 722 Spitfire came in today's mail. I don't know what it is about them but when I see one for a bargain, I just can't resist.
Nice! I still can't believe how cheap my mini was on sale.
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

Baykeeper wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:55 pm New Buck to report, #112 Drop Point w/ Crelicam Ebony handles. Why?? Because I didn't have a drop point Buck in the collection. I also ordered a brown "distressed" Buck sheath for it and surprise surprise, I found that it had been made in the USA, not in Mexico like their current black sheaths, it is nice and soft and has a special embossed button not to be found on their black sheaths. I'll keep the black sheath that came with the knife as a spare. The knife itself doesn't have the normal date code on it, but instead has an anvil in the date code's place. Also got a diamond pocket sharpener, and it works great, I only ordered it to get above the free shipping amount, but now that I have it I love it. This knife will be carried, it's not a special edition or anything so using it will be a no harm no foul situation.

The Crelicam Ebony has quite a story, it is a company in Africa using sustainable methods, and plant a new tree for every one harvested, they even have an nursery to grow the new trees. This Ebony also has beautiful grain to parts of it, which negates it's usage in things like piano keys and other traditional uses that require all black wood, which means a decrease of wasted wood. Both Buck and Taylor Guitars have joined up to use and promote this sustainable hardwood product, google "Crelicam", it's an interesting read. https://crelicam.com/
That's nice ::tu::
I like pitch black ebony, but I also like the ebony Buck is using that has some variation in the color. I actually think I like it a little better than the pitch black. Its more interesting with some variety. This has been a "process" :D
Here's an ebony 55 I bought. At first I was disappointed that it wasn't pitch black. It grew on me to the point where I like it better with some brown mixed in. The side that looks black is more black/brown in real life. Photographs blacker than it is.
Ebony55.JPG
Ebony55-2.JPG
Mike
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

Excellent knife, I love my ebony 55 too!

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”