Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by Colonel26 »

Those are mighty fine TR!!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Nice line-up Cal!!! ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

They look good together Cal, very good. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Thank you, all !
Tim174

Post by Tim174 »

Mail Call Today! “New” Buck .112. Small brass pins for my collection. 8)
Attachments
EE601CF8-D7EE-412C-B4EF-79E09FA6700D.jpeg
D0B9DA54-C0B4-4628-B657-EF3D47ED1A53.jpeg
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Looks good Tim.. ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Tim...that's a GREAT looking 74-80 two dot 112. Looks to be in very nice shape. Nice pickup! ::tu:: I carry an 87 112 I picked up from Ray here at AAPK. It's just the right size for me.

Welcome to AAPK!
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Those two dots are the best Tim ::nod::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Best of the bunch Tim - excellent pickup. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Buck 245 "Matt Would Go".

I wanted to obtain this piece of history before they were all gone, for they have been discontinued. I opted to purchase the 2019 MWG2 with the darker micarta scales. I wanted to give honor to a Warrior and for what he stood for during his 9 years of service.

"Special Warfare Operator First Class (SEAL) Matthew J. Leathers was a highly decorated combat veteran with numerous awards. which include the Bronze Star, Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal and Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal.
Matt enjoyed running 100-mile ultra-marathons and Open Ocean Free Diving. It was during a free diving exercise that he was lost at sea in February 2013. The phrase, Matt Would Go, was coined by leadership of Seal Delivery Vehicle Team One in recognition of his courage and unflinching devotion to duty.
While much of what Matt did during his nine years as a US Navy SEAL must remain secret, his fellow SEALS have honored his memory with these simple words: MATT WOULD GO. His father, Tim Leathers, has created the Matt Would Go company as a tribute to the dauntless courage of his son and his fellow SEALS around the globe."

"During his nine years with the US Navy SEALS, Matthew, known as a perfectionist, designed a knife that held up to his high standards. He used steel from the coil spring of a scrapped Humvee and built his own forge from an old mail box. Tim, (Matt's father) entered into an agreement with Buck Knives to make the exact knife Matt designed, and Buck Knives is proud to bring this to the market."

Stock photo...mine has the 2019 date stamp, with M. Leathers 245 etched/embossed on the blade. The 245 is Matt's SEAL class he was in. Came with a Kydek sheath.

Any other Buck knife fans have this fine blade?
Attachments
245MCSMWG2_Matt_Would_Go__23799.jpg
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I don't...but it's a nice looking knife LJ! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Thanx, Doc...it's a really nice well balanced knife. This is one I would not be afraid to take into the wild w/me, if I had to.
LJ

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Nice knife. I have seen and heard of the Matt Would Go Buck Knife but never knew the story - thanks for the good read. OH
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Old Hunter wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:17 pm Nice knife. I have seen and heard of the Matt Would Go Buck Knife but never knew the story - thanks for the good read. OH
Glad you enjoyed it, OH. ::tu::
LJ

EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

I picked up a 55 in ebony and I think it’s one of the best classic pocket knives I’ve had. A bit overpriced, but worth it. Later today, I’ll have a 112 in 5160 to add to the collection.
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

Well that went south. LOL
This 112 needs some help.
edit: make that not "ideal". So far very impressed with both Buck's response and the e-tailer. I contacted both in case one was slow to respond.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

EeDeCe,

::welcome:: The Buck "55" is a GREAT knife...that's one to be proud of. And yes, it is a bit more than some knives, but only due to the genuine ebony that is used. True Ebony is still regulated for import, and only because Buck has an agreement with Taylor Guitars, are they able to get Ebony once again to use in their knives.
LJ

EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

Thanks for the welcome! Looks like a great forum.
My first attempt at the 55 got me a walnut one despite the listing. Same price, the usual $45, so I had to return it.
I'm fine with the price due to how happy I am with it, it's just odd compared to the price of a 110.
If they'd give the 301 the ebony treatment I'd get another of those. I hope that's coming next.
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

EeDeCe wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:22 pm Thanks for the welcome! Looks like a great forum.
My first attempt at the 55 got me a walnut one despite the listing. Same price, the usual $45, so I had to return it.
I'm fine with the price due to how happy I am with it, it's just odd compared to the price of a 110.
If they'd give the 301 the ebony treatment I'd get another of those. I hope that's coming next.
The 112 cost more than the 110 ::shrug:: The pricing has to be due to volume of sales.

I carry a 55 regularly. My walnut one is in excellent shape, but those ebony are real attractive too ::hmm::
Mike
Breeze

Post by Breeze »

I thought the small 310, three spring, whittler was out of production, but Bass Pro still has them. I'm not sure if its old stock or an SFO. The cardboard box I got with this one has a date of 2019, but the tang stamp is 2017, so definitely old stock, but apparently still being produced in 2019. Anyway it comes in this nifty wood box. I like this one :D
Buck310-1.JPG
Mike
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Breeze,

You're fortunate to have a 310 (2017) stamped blade on your knife, for Buck has used up all the initial 310 blades, and are now using the 309 blade on the BPS 310 knives. (see below)

Buck Model 310 – Whittler

"The 310 was created to fill the desire of whittler's for a nice sized coping bladed pocket knife. Basically the 309 model, just was given an additional spring and coping blade. This coping blade is larger than a similar blade found on the model 305. 310s started out with all SS springs, liners and 420HC blades.
The first 310's are considered to be SMKW's exclusives and were offered by them as early as 1994. They continued in SMKWs catalogs up to 1996."

"In 1998 Buck started showing them in their own catalog and carried it thru 2000. Bass Pro Shops then became the exclusive seller of the 310 in 2001. It continues to be offered in the current BPS catalog and website with some slight changes from the past 310s. The 310 stamped blades on the BPS offered knives were used up early in their run and then from then to the current offering 309 stamped tangs will be found on a 310 Whittler coming from the BP catalog listing. The three springs and three blades are still found at BPS and in their catalog."

"One of Bass Pro additions is the sliding top wooden box the knife comes in."

Credit for the above info from BCCI:
Craig Heflebower/300Bucks
LJ

Breeze

Post by Breeze »

KLJ77 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:14 pm Breeze,

You're fortunate to have a 310 (2017) stamped blade on your knife, for Buck has used up all the initial 310 blades, and are now using the 309 blade on the BPS 310 knives. (see below)

Buck Model 310 – Whittler

"The 310 was created to fill the desire of whittler's for a nice sized coping bladed pocket knife. Basically the 309 model, just was given an additional spring and coping blade. This coping blade is larger than a similar blade found on the model 305. 310s started out with all SS springs, liners and 420HC blades.
The first 310's are considered to be SMKW's exclusives and were offered by them as early as 1994. They continued in SMKWs catalogs up to 1996."

"In 1998 Buck started showing them in their own catalog and carried it thru 2000. Bass Pro Shops then became the exclusive seller of the 310 in 2001. It continues to be offered in the current BPS catalog and website with some slight changes from the past 310s. The 310 stamped blades on the BPS offered knives were used up early in their run and then from then to the current offering 309 stamped tangs will be found on a 310 Whittler coming from the BP catalog listing. The three springs and three blades are still found at BPS and in their catalog."

"One of Bass Pro additions is the sliding top wooden box the knife comes in."

Credit for the above info from BCCI:
Craig Heflebower/300Bucks
Thanks for this ::tu:: It answers my questions. I didn't know any of this. I just thought the 310 was a normal offering that got dropped like the 302.
I double checked and the stamp is a 2017 and 310. Not that it matters, but I'm glad I got a 310 blade and not a 309 :D
Mike
Tim174

Post by Tim174 »

Mail call today. Buck 112 3 dot Nail nick.
Attachments
IMG_8822.JPG
IMG_8826.JPG
IMG_8830.JPG
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Tim,

That's a GREAT looking 1980/81, 112. You got yourself a nice one that doesn't appear to have been sharpened or carried. Get some "NEVR-DULL" and shine those bolsters up and it'll look factory new. ::tu::

I really enjoy carrying my 112.
LJ

EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

My replacement 112 came in. E-tailer did a great job. The last had a few noticeable issues, so they let me send it directly to them and they hand picked a replacement for me. Pretty darn tight, but it will break in with some oil. Pretty happy, I figure the 5160's are on their way out with the newer steels out there.

My old 110 (1985-86'ish), the new 112 5160 and the 55 in ebony that I'm still so impressed with right out of the box and has barely left my hand. A little messy, sitting there freshly (over) oiled.
Attachments
IMG_20200316_1733052a.jpg

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”