Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
eveled

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by eveled »

Yes all four ordered at once. The 500’s all match perfectly with each other very red with almost no grain definitely the same piece. They don’t have the depth my other cherrywood knives have. Lacking the layered look and the shimmering honey layers some have. But at least they are red.

The 113 is very brown. Seems more like cocobolo than cherrywood. Not sure what happened there?
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Railsplitter wrote:December Buck of the Month 112 in Ebony, S30V, and Nickel Silver.

Edited to add some better pics.
That would be seriously tempting in the 110 size. Were they made?
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Modern Slip Joints wrote:That would be seriously tempting in the 110 size. Were they made?
I can't say for sure as I'm not very well educated on Buck's production history. The closest thing that I know of is the January 2018 Buck of the Month. It was a 110 with Macassar handles, Nickel Silver frame and bolsters, and a Drop Point blade in 420HC.

Here's a link to all of the Buck of the Month knives so far. The 110 that I mentioned is on the bottom right of the page.
https://www.buckknives.com/buck-of-the-month/
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

First working day of the year, driving home and passed an Antique store I haven't stopped in for several months - surprised to find quite a few Buck, Frontier, and Case pocketknives in new but shopworn shape. I had enough cash to buy a Buck 311 (of the two he had) but I'll recharge the wallet and visit him again tomorrow evening. He hasn't had any knives worth buying in several years, now today a nice bunch! OH
Attachments
Buck 311 Slimline Trapper.jpg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Old Hunter wrote:First working day of the year, driving home and passed an Antique store I haven't stopped in for several months - surprised to find quite a few Buck, Frontier, and Case pocketknives in new but shopworn shape. I had enough cash to buy a Buck 311 (of the two he had) but I'll recharge the wallet and visit him again tomorrow evening. He hasn't had any knives worth buying in several years, now today a nice bunch! OH
Great find OH, that 311 looks barely used at all, anxious to see what you come up with tomorrow.
BCCI Member #2863
kossetx

Post by kossetx »

Nice find OH
Where Bob Wills is still the King...
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thanks gents! I stopped back by today and picked another, a 307 Wrangler large Stockman (and a tiny Case 63033 miniature Stockman) - all these knives are unused but grime coated and shopworn. The knives are cleaning up. OH
Ps they have a real handy line of railroad ties placed along the border of the parking lot - allows me to snap a quick photo when I leave with my purchase.
Attachments
699264BB-0FFB-4FE6-96A6-5D1780856990.jpeg
5DCB66A8-2230-4F70-B06B-982C3BA198DB.jpeg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Old Hunter wrote:Thanks gents! I stopped back by today and picked another, a 307 Wrangler large Stockman (and a tiny Case 63033 miniature Stockman) - all these knives are unused but grime coated and shopworn. The knives are cleaning up. OH
Ps they have a real handy line of railroad ties placed along the border of the parking lot - allows me to snap a quick photo when I leave with my purchase.
Yet another score for the Old Hunter, great finds!
BCCI Member #2863
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Man OH Your getting sum nice ones ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

You gents know how it is; you do a lot of looking over a lot of time and every now and then the blind hog roots! Thanks, OH
S2K

Post by S2K »

Good on you OH!

Please explain 'shop worn'.

Thanks
T.J.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

S2K, by shopworn I mean that these two knives were NOS (new, old stock) but had been stored without boxes for many years (they are circa 1980 knives). They were grimy, with some type of gooey oil caked on the exterior surface and the sawcut grooves on the Delrin handles were full of the grime as well. Some mild abrasive and a shop rag cleaned the bolsters (I used JB Bore paste as my jar of Mother's is still in my shop at my old house - got to get some more junk and brink it home!). An old toothbrush cleaned the Delrin handles using mild elbow grease. The bolsters and the handles have a lot of very light scratches on them too, from not being in packages all those years - I could polish them out but I'm carrying the Large Stockman so there is no point. The blade edges are factory and thus the knives were never used, however I did touch them up. OH
S2K

Post by S2K »

Thanks OH. So same thing as happens in your own shop over the years of sitting out. I was erroneously thinking of unfinished knives with marks left yet from the manufacturing.
T.J.
Modern Slip Joints

Old Hunter,
I'm not expert on Bucks but I've liked large stockmans for a long time and since I've started carrying mine in a trapper pouch I've been interested in extra-large ones. Like most or maybe all of the Bucks Camillus made 307s did not have date codes so the absence of one does not mean they were made before 1986. The hammer whacking a knife through a bolt shield dates yours from 1989 to the end of 307 production about 1998. Yesterday I was outbid on a 307 with the same shield. Eventually I'll buy a 307 but this week the luck was with you.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

MSJ, thanks for the information on dating a Buck 307 via the shield. Explain to me what details you are looking at to make the determination. I have a lot of these Buck 300 series knives and want to go through them and attempt to put a date on each. Thanks, OH
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

OH, here is a copy of some history info of the 300 Series put together by Joe Houser of Buck Knives. I think I have some info from 300bucks of AAPK that discusses 300 Series shields too, but I'll have to dig for that, I know I have it somewhere and will post it when I find it.
Attachments
47580895_915678605303277_373307583726878720_n.jpg
BCCI Member #2863
Modern Slip Joints

Old Hunter wrote:MSJ, thanks for the information on dating a Buck 307 via the shield. Explain to me what details you are looking at to make the determination. I have a lot of these Buck 300 series knives and want to go through them and attempt to put a date on each. Thanks, OH
The information I posted is from AAPK member 300Bucks. His replies in this 9 year old thread cover what you are interested in: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=16335 In other threads he wrote how to distinguish Schrade made 301s from 301s Camillus made by their swage, nail nick and other master blade features.

Camillus made their 4/14" Stockman with at least three brands on them, Camillus, Remington, and Buck. From what I've read all had blades made from either Camillus' standard 440 stainless or their standard 1095 carbon steel. All the Buck Wranglers I've seen were stainless and all the Remington 9501s were not. Camillus branded ones can be either steel. Case's 6375 and Queen's #49 Stockmans are functionally the same. Case and Queen have offered more choices in handle side covers and Queen more choices of blade steel.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Wow, thanks guys! I’ve been accumulating Buck 300 series, Buck 110 series, and Buck 110’s for over 45 years, however most of the data I have only applies to the 110 Folding Hunter and the 100 series fixed blades. This is most helpful on the 300 series. OH
bertl

Post by bertl »

The hammer whacking a knife through a bolt shield dates yours from 1989 to the end of 307 production about 1998.
MSJ, my information is a little different from yours. The shield with "BUCK" spelled out ran from 1985-1987. The first version of the 307 from 1971-1974 used the hammer, knife, bolt shield and had the model number stamped on the pile side. The shield stayed the same from 1974-1985 but the knife had the model number in the tang stamp—in fact some of these knives may have been produced during the "BUCK" shield era. After 1987, the shield returned to the hammer, knife, bolt pattern, and those knives, 1987-1998, are indistinguishable from the 1974-1985 knives.

Bert
Modern Slip Joints

I did start by warning you that I am not a Buck expert. I barely qualify as a Buck collector and that modest claim is at jeopardy as my unused Bucks get pocket time. Since my only source was 300Bucks' old replies I will defer to bertl. What the two posted is pretty close. bertl's information dates Old Hunter's 307 to any year in the in the 1974 to 1998 period except 1986 and parts of 1985 and 1987. As far as I know for pocket duty one year is as good as any other.
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Modern Slip Joints wrote:I did start by warning you that I am not a Buck expert. I barely qualify as a Buck collector and that modest claim is at jeopardy as my unused Bucks get pocket time. Since my only source was 300Bucks' old replies I will defer to bertl. What the two posted is pretty close. bertl's information dates Old Hunter's 307 to any year in the in the 1974 to 1998 period except 1986 and parts of 1985 and 1987. As far as I know for pocket duty one year is as good as any other.
Well, if you are referring to 300buck's posts for info you're following the right pony, he IS the acknowledged authority on the subject with bertl being right up there with him. Wait til Bert starts posting photos of the 317 Traiblazer with one serrated blade, then you'll realize how informed he really is, (you'll be drooling after the first sight of that one, pure unobtanium). As to being a Buck collector, if you have more than one buck knife and intend to buy more, if you salivate at the sight of a 300 Series Buck with exotic handle, if you just love traditional Buck knives then YOU ARE a Buck collector! I think I'll post a few photos of my Buck/Camillus SFO's, that'll hook you for life, here's a teaser; 331 Granddaddy Barlow in Jigged Bone. Welcome to the club, (Btw: have you joined BCCI?).
BTW: I have every single Buck historical document 300bucks ever posted on AAPK, if you're interested I can send them to you.
Attachments
IMG_1087.JPG
BCCI Member #2863
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Nice Barlow - that is another very hard to find Buck 300 series collectible! Nice bone handles too. I would like to find (again - had but lost somewhere) the multi-sheet list that 300Bucks put together at one time - listed all the 300 series by model number and when each variation came onto the scene and what years they were made. Thanks Gents, OH
bertl

Post by bertl »

I would like to find (again - had but lost somewhere) the multi-sheet list that 300Bucks put together at one time - listed all the 300 series by model number and when each variation came onto the scene and what years they were made.
OH, I can send you the Tofft-Heflebower list, but it's in an Excel spreadsheet format, so it will have to be by e-mail. Contact me at bertlindsay0@gmail.com if you are interested.

Bert
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Old Hunter wrote:Nice Barlow - that is another very hard to find Buck 300 series collectible! Nice bone handles too. I would like to find (again - had but lost somewhere) the multi-sheet list that 300Bucks put together at one time - listed all the 300 series by model number and when each variation came onto the scene and what years they were made. Thanks Gents, OH
Are you referring to these? According to 300 these were hand written by a guy named Tofft who supposedly was the ultimate authority. I have most all of the others 300 docs too. One thing I noticed is that these don't necessarily jive with the document I posted above from Joe Houser. Either way it's good reference material. Of course these only list catalog dates, so I assume the Houser document were actual production numbers.
Attachments
Page 1 (2).jpg
Page 2 (2).jpg
Page 3 (2).jpg
Page 4 (2).jpg
BCCI Member #2863
eveled

Post by eveled »

I had a factory 110 sheath stitched to a factory 124 sheath. It’s pretty cool.
9C89C9E3-39F1-4024-80E2-2D6EEFA15A86.jpeg
B99B79D3-EB04-4B6B-BCE1-394374524830.jpeg

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”