Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by Colonel26 »

It could very well be the case. My blade isn't perfectly centered, but it's good enough. Over all I'm very pleased with this 110, it's the best one I've ever handled and the 5160 blade is amazing, I've been using it nonstop since getting it.

If anyone is thinking of picking up another 110, or 112 for that matter, I can't recommend one of these enough.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Glad you like your 110, Wade. I agree, the 110/112 are GREAT folders for the price point. I'm still carrying my 112 (older model) I picked up from Ray (Palidin). It's been the perfect EDC for me. Not as long on the hip as the 110/sheath. And to think that; 8 months ago, I never owned a 112, now I have 6 of them. ::nod::

As a side note: I received an email from Buck today saying they were having a "web special" sale on some knives. So I ordered these today. I liked the looks of that SnakeSkin design...never saw it before. (Better get one, Jerry ::tu:: ) Never saw the 317 before either, and liked the Burlwood, albeit, they're imported (China), but for the money, they'll make nice pocket carriers or gifts. The pink Bantam is for my wife...that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :lol:
Attachments
284 Bantam
284 Bantam
0285CMS23-B.jpg
0317BWS-B.jpg
0286CMS10-B.jpg
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

KLJ77 wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:19 pm (Better get one, Jerry ::tu:: )
I already have 3 LJ. I think I'll hold back for a bit. They're all Select Grade (imports) but I'm okay with that.
Attachments
BLW 285 Blaze Orange & Buck 283 Bantam Nano  Knife Combo Set CMB016 -Labeled.JPG
Buck 285 Bantam® BLW USA Flag-Select ~ Labeled.JPG
Buck Bantam BLW 285 Clampak.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

I likes your thinking Bruce,thats the beauty of kid at deer camp ::handshake::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Here is something you likely haven't seen in awhile, both versions of the Buck #333 California Toothpicks together in one place, an SFO for SMKW from the late 90's. I already had the Stagalon version, but recently ran across the Buck Bone version so now I have both. This knife completes my Buck 300 Series SFO collection, though I still need one "version", a #334 Millennium Trapper with smooth black scales, but I now have all the models, (as far as I know). I already have a limited edition #334 in Genuine Stag, and and numbered with only 1000 being made, I have #82, (see below in the SFO "family" portrait. So, in addition to having all models of the 1972-1986 300 Series made by Camillus, I also have all the SFO's, (Special Factory Order). Both of the Toothpicks are hard to find, especially the Buck Bone version, so I feel fortunate to have them, took me nearly 10 years to find them all. The family photo contains models # 322 Congress in 2 versions, #329 Freedom Trapper in 2 versions, #331 Granddaddy Barlow in 3 versions, #332 Small Barlow in 2 versions, #333 California Toothpicks in 2 versions, and #334 Millennium Trapper in Genuine Stag, numbered #82 of 1000. I'm still researching the #329 Freedom Trappers because they have model numbers on the tang, whereas all the others do not, (SFO's are not supposed to have model numbers on the tang for unknown reasons). As far as I know these are all the 300 Series SFO's to date. All thanks to 300bucks, who put me on this SFO hunt several years ago, my current impoverished condition is all his fault, he knew a junkie when he saw one and enabled me to be so frivolous, (thanks buddy).
Now that I have that knife all I have to say is, "now what?"
Attachments
4.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg
BCCI Member #2863
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Baykeeper wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:26 am Here is something you likely haven't seen in awhile, both versions of the Buck #333 California Toothpicks together in one place, an SFO for SMKW from the late 90's. I already had the Stagalon version, but recently ran across the Buck Bone version so now I have both. This knife completes my Buck 300 Series SFO collection, though I still need one "version", a #334 Millennium Trapper with smooth black scales, but I now have all the models, (as far as I know). I already have a limited edition #334 in Genuine Stag, and and numbered with only 1000 being made, I have #82, (see below in the SFO "family" portrait. So, in addition to having all models of the 1972-1986 300 Series made by Camillus, I also have all the SFO's, (Special Factory Order). Both of the Toothpicks are hard to find, especially the Buck Bone version, so I feel fortunate to have them, took me nearly 10 years to find them all. The family photo contains models # 322 Congress in 2 versions, #329 Freedom Trapper in 2 versions, #331 Granddaddy Barlow in 3 versions, #332 Small Barlow in 2 versions, #333 California Toothpicks in 2 versions, and #334 Millennium Trapper in Genuine Stag, numbered #82 of 1000. I'm still researching the #329 Freedom Trappers because they have model numbers on the tang, whereas all the others do not, (SFO's are not supposed to have model numbers on the tang for unknown reasons). As far as I know these are all the 300 Series SFO's to date. All thanks to 300bucks, who put me on this SFO hunt several years ago, my current impoverished condition is all his fault, he knew a junkie when he saw one and enabled me to be so frivolous, (thanks buddy).
Now that I have that knife all I have to say is, "now what?"
That's a wonderful collection! Beautiful knives!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Baykeeper, that’s no small feat assembling a collection like yours - congratulations on a terrific collection of Buck Knives! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Very nice and rare collection, Baykeeper. ::tu::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Thanks guys I really appreciate it, took me awhile but there they are. I didn't think I would ever find them all, but that day has finally arrived, and I am thankful. I also have all the "regular" pre-1986 Buck 300 Series models, they are represented by knives in the briefcase display below, (plus a few other other Bucks and those other US-made knives at the bottom), including a 1966 first version #301 Stockman with lined bolsters made by Schrade just above the yellow #301 on the left side. I also have various Bucks in sheaths that I carry often, (duplicates of ones in the briefcase), but I have limited room so I just keep them sheathed. The hardest thing for me to do most mornings is to decide which knives to carry that day, and if my sheaths color coordinate, lol. Someday I'd like to put together a permanent display box for them all, including SFO's, and take them to display at the BCCI booth at Blade Show, but for now I'll use what I have. I guess I have vision problems though, because no matter how many Bucks I have, it never looks like enough to me, so, the search continues.
Attachments
300 Series.jpg
BCCI Member #2863
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

New Buck Spitfire my oldest boy gave me for my birthday!
016D3A94-0D96-49E6-A427-FCD82F1FB3D1.jpeg
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Colonel26 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:39 pm New Buck Spitfire my oldest boy gave me for my birthday!

Critique please. I really like the 722's.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:32 pm
Colonel26 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:39 pm New Buck Spitfire my oldest boy gave me for my birthday!

Critique please. I really like the 722's.
Well, I just got it, so I haven’t done anything except touch up the edge. I had a 721 that was gifted to me several years ago and it came out of my pocket while I was mowing at the old house and I never did find that thing.

The handle is a bit different on this 722 and it seems to have more recurve on the blade. I think I like the handle on the 721 a bit better honestly.

It’s a beefy little knife and I think it’s destined for some hard work/abuse! I can see myself doing things with this one I wouldn’t do with my Spyderco military since this Buck has a beefier blade and that wonderful Buck warranty!

In short, so far so good.

*Edit* I just went outside and did some light whittling. This handle feels much better in use than it does just coon fingering it. I like it.
Robert E. Lee
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

::tu:: 8) ::tu:: Kudos to your son too!! ::nod::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

I went and did it again. 1989 Buck #305s Clipper with Smooth Violet handles. I already have one in Smooth Blue, but I'm after all the different colors that I don't already have, (red, yellow, pink, black, orange and ?). I got a decent deal on this one, and most of the other colors are available on ebay BIN for $100, but I can wait, I don't think they will sell quickly at those prices, so I'll just wait. Apparently versions exist with Victorinox scissors, but I haven't seen one of those yet.
You may have seen this one on the bay, that para cord lanyard really stuck out in the photos, hard to forget, but the lanyard is soon going away. Only one other person was bidding, so I got this for less than half the asking price pf the BIN knives.
Attachments
violet1.jpg
violet 305s2.jpg
BCCI Member #2863
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

There are quite a few with the scissors on the bay. Here's the few I found. I think they're a bit overpriced, but that's me.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... s&_sacat=0
LJ

Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

KLJ77 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:03 am There are quite a few with the scissors on the bay. Here's the few I found. I think they're a bit overpriced, but that's me.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... s&_sacat=0
I mentioned above that they were a bit pricey, I got the one I just got for much less in an auction. It's funny though, these are either nowhere to be found, or all over the place like now, but it proves they are out there to be found. I don't know why they are so expensive now, last year they were half as much.
BCCI Member #2863
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

How about a 112 Slim in Olive Green Micarta with a S30V blade? Very lightweight. The Micarta scales really trip my trigger, I like the Anvil clip too. ::groove::
Attachments
IMG_20200818_213853806.jpg
IMG_20200818_213753517.jpg
IMG_20200818_220005794.jpg
IMG_20200818_220526587.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

Nice! I looked at one of those and was very impressed...you are an enabler!
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

1967redrider wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:58 am How about a 112 Slim in Olive Green Micarta with a S30V blade? Very lightweight. The Micarta scales really trip my trigger, I like the Anvil clip too. ::groove::
Nice, I have it's twin brother in my EDC basket, I carry mine in a back pocket 2-4 times a week. You will love it I'm sure, the handles have a nice feel to them don't they?
BCCI Member #2863
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Baykeeper wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:32 am
1967redrider wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:58 am How about a 112 Slim in Olive Green Micarta with a S30V blade? Very lightweight. The Micarta scales really trip my trigger, I like the Anvil clip too. ::groove::
Nice, I have it's twin brother in my EDC basket, I carry mine in a back pocket 2-4 times a week. You will love it I'm sure, the handles have a nice feel to them don't they?

I do like the feel, sweet American made knife. ::tu::

Sorry, Byrd, I calls 'em as I sees 'em. 😉

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

::tu:: 8) ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Now that’s nice! I’ve been looking at those myself. Now you’ve done flung a cravin’ on me.
Robert E. Lee
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Me too ::nod::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

They're really sweet, lightweight, locks up tight and excellent fit and finish. Plus that Micarta is gorgeous. I can imagine it wears nice.

Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:42 am They're really sweet, lightweight, locks up tight and excellent fit and finish. Plus that Micarta is gorgeous. I can imagine it wears nice.
The handles do get smoother with use, especially if clipped inside the back pocket like I do, it gets a bit lighter in color too as the handles smooth out. So, it does develop pocket wear if you use it a lot, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, I kind of like the way it ages, shows it was loved and appreciated.
BCCI Member #2863

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”