Page 82 of 110

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:44 am
by Tsar Bomba
I realized I never posted my latest Buck here after I got it.

It's inelegant, Spartan, garish and utilitarian but it's a USA Buck and it does what a Buck does well. Here it is, my new(ish)112 slim Ranger. Light, sturdy, and slim clipped to the RFP exactly as advertised! Extra points for the tip-up deep carry clip straight from the factory. Big bang for little bucks.

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:47 pm
by Byrd
You'll like that 112 Ranger! I have the 110 and at first.wasn't sure what I thought about it. It was light and didn't feel as "substantial" as the traditional 110 I was used to carrying. After a few weeks I hanged my mind though. It's light and handy rides well in the pocket and holds a great edge. It'll do anything I need a.pocket knife. To do. Maybe I need a 112 Ranger too?

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:47 pm
by Railsplitter
Old Hunter wrote:Nice Buck 703 and 704 Rick, good pickups. OH
Thank you, Bruce. I'm kind of on a roll right now but I'm just about done for awhile.


Got one more Buck knife on the way but this one is fresh out of the mailbox.

Buck 505 Knight from the Buck Custom Shop. Buckeye Burl and standard 420HC blade.

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:52 pm
by Doc B
Some nice Buck's you've been showing lately, Rick! I like the burl on that ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:17 pm
by Railsplitter
Doc B wrote:Some nice Buck's you've been showing lately, Rick! I like the burl on that ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks Doc!

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:28 am
by Old Hunter
I agree Rick, really nice burl! OH

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:07 am
by cody6268
Tsar Bomba wrote:I realized I never posted my latest Buck here after I got it.

It's inelegant, Spartan, garish and utilitarian but it's a USA Buck and it does what a Buck does well. Here it is, my new(ish)112 slim Ranger. Light, sturdy, and slim clipped to the RFP exactly as advertised! Extra points for the tip-up deep carry clip straight from the factory. Big bang for little bucks.
Nice one! I've already decided I'm getting the Slim instead of the standard 112LT. Not much more expensive, but thinner and easier to carry, as well as being OHO from the factory. Thinking blue to match my 110LT "Shield". I do have a standard 112, but it is in awful shape, and Buck will probably end up replacing the blade once I get it sent off.

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:44 pm
by Byrd
My new Chinese 371. A beast of a pocket knife but I got it at a good price and I didn't have one so...

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:42 pm
by Old Hunter
Byrd, Hard to beat a Stockman for a versatile patten, congrats. OH

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:16 am
by Modern Slip Joints
Byrd,
Partly because the blade shape I use most often is a sheep's foot I love Stockmans. I wonder if the Chinese relocated the sheep's foot to the left end to make it easier to open without making it stick up above the other blades like many Stockmans do. It never ocurred to me that sheep's foot blades remaining further out of the handle made Stockmans uncomfortable in the hand until I read that on the internet but some people do not like a high sheep's foot. I believe Stockmans are made with high sheep's foot blades to make the most frequently used blade quick to open. For those who think it's a problem switching the sheep's foot and spey might alleviate the problem. It does make the 371 recognizable as Chinese.

Once again I can post that I bought a lightly used Buck at a gun show. Today I found a standard black rubber and 420HC Alpha Hunter with its pouch priced at $20. Local Ace Hardware Stores stock the same knife with a gut hook for $65 and tax so I quickly paid the table holder's $20 then chatted about other knives. During the final days before an Ace Hardware went out of business I bought the one with a gut hook at 60% off without its pouch. I usually ignore modern folders and only occasionally pick one up when I stumble onto them at low price. Being patient pays off buying common items. Generally the larger thumb stud opening knives are the easier they are to open. Alpha Hunters are as easy as they get.

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:46 am
by Old Hunter
That is a Buck Knife unique design alteration - the three spring USA made Stockman pattern knives (301, 303) also have the reverse position Sheepfoot. OH

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:27 pm
by Railsplitter
Modern Slip Joints wrote:Byrd,
Partly because the blade shape I use most often is a sheep's foot I love Stockmans. I wonder if the Chinese relocated the sheep's foot to the left end to make it easier to open without making it stick up above the other blades like many Stockmans do. It never ocurred to me that sheep's foot blades remaining further out of the handle made Stockmans uncomfortable in the hand until I read that on the internet but some people do not like a high sheep's foot. I believe Stockmans are made with high sheep's foot blades to make the most frequently used blade quick to open. For those who think it's a problem switching the sheep's foot and spey might alleviate the problem. It does make the 371 recognizable as Chinese.
Old Hunter wrote:That is a Buck Knife unique design alteration - the three spring USA made Stockman pattern knives (301, 303) also have the reverse position Sheepfoot. OH
Old Hunter is correct. Buck made that blade swap to all of the 300 series Stockman knives in 1988 when they also added a third back spring. The blade swap was necessary because each spring acted as a spacer and therefore, two spacers could not be next to each other. The sheepsfoot is wider than the spey from edge to spine and unless it was the center blade, it would cover the nail nick of the spey blade making it difficult or impossible to open the spey.

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:01 pm
by Modern Slip Joints
I forgot about Buck's three spring Stockmans. I like my older ones. I was wrong writing that the reverse sheep's foot and spey positions identifies the 371 as Chinese. Is the Chinese 371 a three spring?

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:11 pm
by Byrd
The 371 is a 3 spring.

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Posted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:16 pm
by Bill-in-Texas
Yet, another 110 w/sheath.
Nothing particularly special about this “4 dot,” I just like these old workhorses. And, even though I already had a comparable “4 dot,” it was just $17.
I just couldn’t pass it up. :D