Look what I found today! Buck 311 Trapper

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
bertl

Re: Look what I found today! Buck 311 Trapper

Post by bertl »

Great find, Syd. Just keep on picking away at what's out there.

Bert
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

bertl wrote:Great find, Syd. Just keep on picking away at what's out there.

Bert
Thanks Bert, it was on the edge of too expensive, but I didn't think I'd ever find another, so I broke down and grabbed it, (I mean it IS Christmas, and I HAVE been a good boy). However, the plot thickens, I was contacted just this morning by the same AAPK seller who claims to have a #333 Small Barlow in Yellow Sawcut Delrin, (not listed for sale yet), he is of course asking a A LOT for that one too, (more than the Congress by a stretch). Believe me, I am very VERY tempted, and very very conflicted. If I go for it I'll be worrying about spending too much, if I don't I'll be miserable about missing the opportunity. What to do what to do??
On another note, I thought I saw a post from 300 where he said he was looking for one of those too. I think I'll send him a PM, if I can't have it maybe he should. Thanks again Bert.
BCCI Member #2863
bertl

Post by bertl »

That may have been me looking for the small Barlow a year or so ago. I found one.

Bert
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

bertl wrote:That may have been me looking for the small Barlow a year or so ago. I found one.

Bert
I just sent a PM to 300, hopefully he will see it. I'm trying to decide if the knife is worth what the guy is asking. Check your inbox, I'll send you a PM too. I'm gun shy mentioning prices on these forums, I've been scolded about that more than once on BF, so I'll just shoot you a PM just in case.
BCCI Member #2863
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

I made a small mistake above, the model number of the Small Barlow is #332, NOT #333, which is the California Toothpick. So, 300, before you box my ears for that one bertl already beat you to the punch.
BCCI Member #2863
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

You guys don't need to concern yourselves with me. I have quit collecting and am just eating the hay already in the barn.
I seldom look at ebay unless you ask me to. So,you need to only be concerned with the half dozen of you that are sliding on the slippery slope I ( and one or two silent collectors) have already ridden...good luck...Hopefully you have a good postperson.....300
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

300Bucks wrote:You guys don't need to concern yourselves with me. I have quit collecting and am just eating the hay already in the barn.
I seldom look at ebay unless you ask me to. So,you need to only be concerned with the half dozen of you that are sliding on the slippery slope I ( and one or two silent collectors) have already ridden...good luck...Hopefully you have a good postperson.....300
I was just being polite, I really thought I had read a post where you said something about needing one, (duooh, ::dang:: of course you don't need one). Too late anyway, working a deal as we speak. Can't imagine ever not collecting though, especially Buck 300 Series. I'm sure I won't live long enough to find all the "versions", but I am indeed on a slippery slope with these SFO's; I'm sure I'll never stop looking for those, (because I'm sure I'll never find all of them). However, meager as it is I am thrilled to have the small collection that I have, (largely thanks to your guidance), and will be happy to hand down something substantial to my heirs, (after I'm done playing with them that is).
BCCI Member #2863
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

You can talk prices here on AAPK all you want, we only have one level of membership so there is no restriction. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Old Hunter wrote:You can talk prices here on AAPK all you want, we only have one level of membership so there is no restriction. OH
I wasn't aware of that OH, other forums censor their member's posts like storm troopers. Obviously I have been "ticketed" so to speak, so being cautious here is a natural reaction. Thanks for the update.
BCCI Member #2863
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

I got started in the late 80's, back when you actually could get a collector NIB 300 for 10 or 12 dollars. One day I realized I had 'most' of the old ones so all I would be collecting were the yearly new production models. There are a hand full of people that have extensive 300 collections and a few that continue to buy any new model that is released. I decided one of you guys could collect that era. My display I take to the Blade Show BCCI area is usually just the black sawcuts up to 1990. Once in a while I will throw in some pretty scaled one for the heck of it. If you are going to go to knife shows and display your collection you will need to go to one of the sites where pictures of peoples displays are shown. You will gain a wealth of knowledge seeing those. Some of the BCCI displays are shown in professional cabinetry upright cases and the knives are worth many hundreds of dollars. They will surprise you in the museum like quality of the display. I decided I would just stick with what I got and what I know. When I started posting about 300s no one collected those 'common' pocketknives. I would hear "Most weren't even made in the Buck factory." But on I went. Those dozen years or more I saw Ebay become popular and prices rise. And I saw Camillus and its experts drift away. I eventually had to end up buying a gun safe just for knives. The post office knew what the packages were I was receiving. If I was outside they would shout, you got another knife you want it or you want me to put in mail box on porch...ha. That's is where some of you are heading. Going to shows is easier on the coasts. Buck nuts in the center of the US have a long trip to join in. The Buck Collectors Club is at least worth the E-membership cost. It will give you access to old catalogs, newsletters and even some articles on 300s on the cheap. If you can travel to the Oregon knife show or the Blade Show in Atlanta. Plan time to sit around with the other Buck people, yes you can look for knives but you better do it the first day of the show, bring a display to show and you get in before the crowd. You can see some nice made displays and then go home and design one of your own and request a table the next year. If possible for your personal situation, think about attending the BCCI meeting at the Buck Factory in the summer of 2018 it will be one of those memories you will never forget. Let me stop my rambling and say the most important thing I can, "Keep records, keep knives ID'ed somehow" before you know it, even if you just have 15 you will wake up one day and you won't have any idea what you have. Do all that and you will be a Jedi Buck Collector. 300
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

I bought my first Buck 300 in the early 70's, (#313 Muskrat, still have it, a #305 shortly after that), but didn't officially become a "collector" until the last decade when I realized I better do it now, (or never). To me my Buck(s) were just good tools, not necessarily collectibles, but when Schrade and CC went belly up I realized I should grab what I could while I could before it was too late. I was almost too late. Even in the last several years prices have gone up and up, no reason to think that trend will end.

I missed everything in 2016. I had to travel to Atlanta for a sick relative in late February so missed Knife Expo in LA, then left Georgia in early May after she passed, so I missed the Blade Show too. Managed to attend a gun show in GA while I was there, which had one knife dealer, bought two CC-made 301's but that was it, (also bought other knives on the trip but those were the only US-made Bucks). To console myself I stopped by SMKW while on the way home, so that trip wasn't a total loss. I fully intend to attend Knife Expo 2017 in April and hang out with any BCCI guys who are there, (I assume they will have a presence there), was wondering if I should bring my collection for display or not. I have my SFO's in a small display case, and will bring that to Knife Expo if the BCCI guys want me to. For now all my CC-made regular production knives are in a roll stored in my safe, but I eventually want them in a display case too. I'll be renewing my BCCI membership this week, and you are correct about the website, there is a lot of valuable info there if you look for it. Believe it or not you aren't the only person I know who has a gun safe with nothing but knives inside of it.

Spent part of today talking to a friend who owns an old school gun shop, (he's worried about being able to stay in business in CA considering our new ridiculous gun laws, honestly his worries are real; knife restrictions may be next), he had no Bucks around but did have an old Ulster Camp Knife, which I passed on at $40. He did have an old Buck wall display case with logo. I asked if he ever decided to sell it please let me know.

Waiting for the mailman to deliver a #310 Whittler, will post a pic when it arrives.
BCCI Member #2863
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Still working on the SFO's, but diverged a little to fill a slot in my small but growing 300 Series collection. #310 Whittler, this one date coded 1994. Used & abused, (like me), but in very usable condition, (also like me). Not necessarily rare, but not that common either. This one walks & talks like it should, and unlike many of my other 300 Series examples, this one will be carried and used.
Attachments
IMG_0970.JPG
IMG_0966.JPG
IMG_0967.JPG
BCCI Member #2863
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Now here is something special. Buck #332 Barlow in Yellow Sawcut Delrin. This one has signs of what looks like very mild pocket wear on the handle & bolster, but the blades appear completely unused. I suspect this knife was on display and was frequently handled but otherwise unused. In the coin collecting world this knife would still be considered in "mint" condition, with acceptance of what they call "bag marks", (being placed in a bag with coin to coin contact causing small scuffs & marks); that's how I would characterize the condition of this knife.
300 mentioned that the yellow may be somewhat pale in this model, but this one is actually quite bright compared to the yellow on my #331 Granddaddy.
Now I have to find a black one, with only the #333 California Toothpick & #334 Millenium Trapper left for me to complete a collection of each SFO model, (not all the versions, one of each model is the immediate goal).
I also have a #329 Trapper in Smooth Yellow Delrin without etching or graphics on the way, (I already have the "Freedom Trapper" version with blade etch & handle graphic). I'll post pics of that one when it arrives.
Did I forget to say, "Hooray"? ::ds::
Attachments
IMG_0989.JPG
IMG_0992.JPG
IMG_0996.JPG
IMG_1000.JPG
BCCI Member #2863
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Wow Baykeeper, you have been hitting home runs on the hard to find Buck's - NICE! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Old Hunter wrote:Wow Baykeeper, you have been hitting home runs on the hard to find Buck's - NICE! OH
Thanks OH, so far so good, when it rains it pours! Of course I am going to have to eat a lot of Ramen for a while, because when you do find them they definitely aren't cheap. Unfortunately, despite the cost they are getting so rare it's hard to pass them up when they do appear. Two models to go to have all the SFO models, (though I'll be searching for "versions" for the rest of my life I'm sure).
BCCI Member #2863
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Here I go again, this showed up at the worst possible moment, right when I was arranging payment for the #332 Barlow I posted earlier. I've learned however that these don't come on the market that often, so I felt compelled to snag this one when it appeared.

#329 Trapper, Smooth Yellow Delrin, 1988. I already have the Freedom Trapper version with blade etch and handle graphics, but wanted the "regular" version too. I toyed with the idea of carrying this one, but when it arrived I realized it was completely unused so decided to leave it that way. I've scanned the database, and the only reference I found lists this model, along with the #334 Millennium Trapper, as having been made by Buck. It is listed under "Other Buck Knives", so I don't think this was an SFO for SMKW, but perhaps 300 can pipe in and confirm that for me.
I also included a "family" photo of sorts, all the Buck Trappers I currently have, (including the #311 that started this thread). Hopefully a #334 will soon be a part of that family.
Attachments
IMG_1012.JPG
IMG_1020.JPG
BCCI Member #2863
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Found this on the bay & couldn't resist, just fell hard for the color. 1990 #305 Clipper, Smooth Blue Delrin; total unused condition from an uber-reliable source. I find I like these pre 2000 Buck-made 300's, I think the grind and build quality is better than current models. Fell hard for the smooth handle too, feels neat in the hand.
More goodies later this week, but this will do for today.
Attachments
IMG_1036.JPG
BCCI Member #2863
Bamarick

Post by Bamarick »

I like that blue 305. I was in a local pawn shop a few days ago and found a mint 305 with the scissors just like yours but in red smooth delrin. The fit on this Buck is as good as any I've ever seen. You can hardly see where the clip blade fits up against the backspring. I got it for $9.00. I also got a U.S. made Uncle Henry 707 pen with scissors at the same time. It too was mint and I got it for $8.00.
Ricky
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Bamarick wrote:I like that blue 305. I was in a local pawn shop a few days ago and found a mint 305 with the scissors just like yours but in red smooth delrin. The fit on this Buck is as good as any I've ever seen. You can hardly see where the clip blade fits up against the backspring. I got it for $9.00. I also got a U.S. made Uncle Henry 707 pen with scissors at the same time. It too was mint and I got it for $8.00.
Ricky
Great finds Ricky, especially the Clipper for under $10, (unfortunately I paid much more for my blue one). I agree about the fit on these pre 2000 Buck folders too. They changed some things after that, grind, profile, etc, (they have a name for the new grinds, just can't remember what that is), and they just aren't quite the same nowadays. Every pre-2000 Buck I have is tight and sharp, something I can't say for the ones I've had made this century. I need to find a pawn shop with those kinds of prices, it would save me some money.
BCCI Member #2863
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

While I contemplate a life of Ramen, (because that is all I can afford to eat after this), I can gaze upon this, the mate to my yellow one. #332 Barlow, Black Sawcut Delrin, 1995 SFO for SMKW.
I wasn't prepared to chance never finding one of these NIB if I passed on this one, so I decided to take a relatively deep dive and grab this while I could.

So, my quest for one of each model 300 Series SFO continues, (only #334 & #333 left to go). After achieving that goal I can go on the hunt for the "versions".
Attachments
IMG_1039.JPG
IMG_1040.JPG
BCCI Member #2863
bertl

Post by bertl »

Baykeeper,

I'm a little out of the loop, especially with acronyms. What is "SFO"?

Bert
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

bertl wrote:Baykeeper,

I'm a little out of the loop, especially with acronyms. What is "SFO"?

Bert
Special Factory Order. They weren't made to be sold by Buck, they were special orders from SMKW to Camillus by agreement with Buck to be sold only through the SMKW catalog. All of the Buck 300 Series SFO's were made by Camillus. In Buck's case they were never sold or listed in their company catalog.
Other manufacturers also make them, the Tom's Choice, (or TC), Barlows by GEC are SFO's for Waynorth Cutlery for example.
BCCI Member #2863
bertl

Post by bertl »

Baykeeper,

Thanks for the clarification. As a pilot from many years ago my first though for SFO was San Francisco International, but then I thought maybe Santa Fe Ordinance. As I said, I am out of the loop.

Bert
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

bertl wrote:Baykeeper,

Thanks for the clarification. As a pilot from many years ago my first though for SFO was San Francisco International, but then I thought maybe Santa Fe Ordinance. As I said, I am out of the loop.

Bert
Before Buck Fever, SFO did mean SFI to me, (I come from a family of private pilots & model airplane nuts), only a fellow flight enthusiast would recognize that reference. One thing for sure, knife collecting is a lot cheaper than civil aviation!!
BCCI Member #2863
Delmar Morgan

Post by Delmar Morgan »

I got this buck 311 stamp made in USA with three other knives this Camillus stamped New York , a Saber 644 stockman ,the other is a Craftsman linerlock single blade trapper made by Schrade that I took apart to fix. The total price with shipping included was $24.65 that would be
1485874092031-488948266.jpg
$6.16 per knife. Got off of ebay.

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”