Jimping a 110

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Metalhead

Jimping a 110

Post by Metalhead »

Anyone out there cut jimping into the spine of your 110? I was considering doing it to one of mine and was curious about any positive or negative experiences with this. JB
JB
eveled

Re: Jimping a 110

Post by eveled »

IMG_20170222_193624354_zpsa4a77e71.jpg
I have a checkering file after I used it for another project I started on my bucket knives.
Honestly I don't use it on the blade, my thumb just doesn't extend out that far. But on the button! What a difference! It not only helps when pushing the button, but gives a very sure grip when pulling it from the sheath.
It helps so much, that on the 110 I use for work, I jimped the rear bolster, were my index finger is in this photo.
Attachments
IMG_20170302_203915_zpsyilbfscj.jpg
IMG_20171125_074059867.jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

eveled, that is pretty neat work. The checkering file; is that a file one would use for checkering a grip on a gun stock?
Will you explain how you cut this in? Did you use a fence or a guide to keep the tool straight? Very nice work. ::tu::
I think there are some guys on here that will find this interesting.
Joe
eveled

Post by eveled »

It's not for checkering wood, rather for checkering metal. Here is the other project.
Same file, used in two directions to get the little diamonds.

I put the knife in a vise wrapped in a business card. Then carefully filed being sure to stay in the grooves. The trick I learned is you really need to commit to the first pass to get a set of nice deep grooves to follow, then you can be gentle. The knife is a lot harder than the gun hammer. The file makes multiple lines with each pass, so spacing is not an issue. It will make aprox 1/2 inch of lines, then you can move over a couple of rows to make the area wider, while riding in the grooves you already made.

Nice thing is, If you do it yourself you can make it as deep as you want it. The file cost more than a new 110, but it was worth it.
IMG_20170129_182854054_zpsl35xsh91.jpg
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Very nice work eveled.
Thank you. ::tu::
Joe
eveled

Post by eveled »

I also recently added a single finger groove to one of mine. I like it a lot, think I will probably do more of them. It's going to be interesting the next time I send one back to Buck for a new blade.LOL!
Attachments
IMG_20171202_110615732.jpg
Brumbydownunder

Post by Brumbydownunder »

@eveled Great Mods and very practical ... I'm just rebuilding a couple of Schrade LB7's might give one of them your treatment.

Derek
"Belong Where The Moment Finds You"
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

I had to look those files up.
That was a very creative way to use a tool for more than one purpose.
Nice work! ::tu::
Attachments
toolsclose.jpg
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

eveled, what cut and what size file did you use in your work there?
I'm looking at checkering files.
Thank you.
Joe
eveled

Post by eveled »

It is a 6 inch grobert swiss pattern 00 cut 20 lines per inch. I found it on Amazon for $31. The fewer lines per inch the better IMHO.

I've found jimping and sharpening choils are better if you do them yourself. The manufacturers go too deep on both.

I liked the subtle effect it has, and did not use a tri corner file to make the cuts deeper, but that is what you will need to get a more aggressive grip.

Be sure to post pictures I'd like to see your results.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you very much, eveled. ::tu::

I am looking at those on Amazon.
Joe
eveled

Post by eveled »

You are very welcome. Glad to help.
eveled

Post by eveled »

Just to follow up, now that I've added the one finger groove , it moves my grip forward just enough to make the jimping on the blade useful.
Metalhead

Post by Metalhead »

Thanks for sharing the technique. That is exactly what I was wanting to know about. I wouldn't even have thought about jimping the bolster too. I've been working on repairing the house after the Hurricane Harvey flood, but I'm going to do some of this when things get back to normal around here. How did you do the finger groove?
JB
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

It may get interesting when you try for a new blade. They often do not work on any modified model. 300Bucks
eveled

Post by eveled »

Metalhead, nice to hear from you! Too often the OP, asked a question, then goes MIA. Dealing with flood damage must be exhausting.

The finger groove was made with a sanding drum in a drill press. I bought a whole set for under $10 at harbor freight. I picked the one that was the diameter I wanted then just pushed the knife into it.

300bucks, I'm not really worried about replacing the blades again, it took 30 years to wear out 2 knives, now I have more 110's in the EDC rotation, I doubt I'll live long enough to wear out another. It is something to think about though.

I paid $35 for my first 110, and $27 for my last one. The $35 was two days pay at the time, the $27 less than an hour's pay now. Crazy to think about.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

eveled wrote:It's not for checkering wood, rather for checkering metal. Here is the other project.
Same file, used in two directions to get the little diamonds.

I put the knife in a vise wrapped in a business card. Then carefully filed being sure to stay in the grooves. The trick I learned is you really need to commit to the first pass to get a set of nice deep grooves to follow, then you can be gentle. The knife is a lot harder than the gun hammer. The file makes multiple lines with each pass, so spacing is not an issue. It will make aprox 1/2 inch of lines, then you can move over a couple of rows to make the area wider, while riding in the grooves you already made.

Nice thing is, If you do it yourself you can make it as deep as you want it. The file cost more than a new 110, but it was worth it.

IMG_20170129_182854054_zpsl35xsh91.jpg
Just curious. It appears that you cut the “hammer spur” off the hammer before you “checkered it”. Is that correct? Most wheel gun hammers have pretty good grip on the spur by default or “stock” factory. My assumption is that you added checkering because you cut the hammer spur off for increased hammer speed or anti snag concealed carry. Mind sharing the details of this?

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
eveled

Post by eveled »

It's an old school trick. A real bobbed hammer, doesn't have a single action notch, so it is DAO Double action only.

Ruger made hammers like mine for the old Six Series revolvers., They called it a speed hammer. The hammer spur is gone, but the single action notch is still functional. The checking allows the hammer to still be cocked for single action shots.

You start the hammer back with the trigger then use your thumb to cock it.

It is a controversial modification. So I can't recommend it.......
Metalhead

Post by Metalhead »

Eveled, I had forgotten I posted this; several months must have gone by without a reply. I'm glad you picked up on it. I just ordered one of those checkering files, and maybe a few swigs of bourbon will help give me enough courage to start tearing one up. I like your old school hammer trick too. I've never committed to bobbing the hammer off my snub nose because I like having the option of shooting it slingle action. This looks like a way to have your cake and eat it too. Maybe another project for the list.
JB
eveled

Post by eveled »

Metalhead, you are very welcome. Nice to hear from you.

It turned into a fun thread. Be sure to post pictures, and if you do the hammer, be sure to remove it from the revolver, and use a padded vise.
Legend

Post by Legend »

Hi eveled ,
If I used a mini file for this , how easy do you think it would be ? I would really like to try it on my 112 but I am cautious not having tried it before as to achieving a straight file cut !
eveled

Post by eveled »

I think it would be very difficult with a single file. The checkering file takes care of the spacing and makes sure the rows are parallel.

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”