Buck collectibles.

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Chayes

Buck collectibles.

Post by Chayes »

I'd like some general opinions about collectibles. I've had Bucks since the 70's, with a 110 Hunter being my first. I recently purchased a Buck 280 Crosslock with the Buckcote for my EDC to replace my lost tanto but found it too pretty to carry. This is an addition to a limited edition Vanguard that I purchased in the 80's. Now I find myself wanting to enter into collecting. My latest edition is the Paul Bos S30V 110 Hunter. In general opinions what are desirable collectibles? Limited runs, signed or numbered,special editions, etc? From the discussions on the 110 Hunter it appears that this model is collectible but there are so many variations that a novice such as myself would find it near impossible to know what I'm looking for. I've looked at the 110 data sheets but unfortunately they don't print well enough for me to read and study.
I have ordered several older 325's to help start my collection. Any thoughts would be greatly from this novice.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Buck collectibles.

Post by jerryd6818 »

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for but I'm going to tell you, EVERYTHING is collectable. If you like it, collect it. If you're going into it for the money they may bring down the road, that's the wrong reason. Collect what you like and they well always have value to you.

As an example of the brand you mentioned: The Colonel (Old Hunter) collected/collects every variation of the Buck 300s. (and other Bucks)

As another example, one knife I collect is the Schrade Miracle Whip Anniversary knives. I don't recall paying much over $20 for any of them (got one in great condition for a dollar) but I love 'em and am pleased as punch to have every one issued (I'm pretty sure).
Attachments
Miracle Whip Group.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Chayes

Post by Chayes »

That's a very nice collection! There are so many knife manufacturers out there it makes your head spin but Buck is my favorite! I will pick up another brand of I find something that speaks to me. There's something primal about holding a sharpened piece of steel that can't be explained.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Buying online is such a crap shoot. I drooled over the Case Seahorse Whittler for probably six months or more. Finally I broke down and bought one. I was not impressed. It wasn't bad, it just didn't live up to my dreams. Same with the Case Russlock. Only, in hand, the Russlock turned out to be a total non-starter.

There are a few more that turned out to be blasé but don't let this stop you. There have been a whole bunch that turned out to be ace number one winners.

In the end, many on here will tell you the same thing. "Buy what you like". They will never get old.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kossetx

Post by kossetx »

All my knives are ment to be used...all! In reality, very few are.

Knives are generally not sound investments, but that doesn't stop me.
image.jpg
Where Bob Wills is still the King...
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

I once considered collecting Buck 703's because it's my favorite Buck knife. They were made from 1979-2001 and I thought about collecting one from each year but I never pursued it. The photo below is as far as I got.

The entire 700 series were great knives. Might be something to consider if you like the looks of them.
Attachments
IMG_1843.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Railsplitter wrote:I once considered collecting Buck 703's because it's my favorite Buck knife. They were made from 1979-2001 and I thought about collecting one from each year but I never pursued it. The photo below is as far as I got.

The entire 700 series were great knives. Might be something to consider if you like the looks of them.
Hey Rick:

Just out of curiosity, what years are the three 703's in your photo?

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Mike,

The top one is 1979-1985 (before Buck started using date stamps)

The other two are both 1986. Buck made a change from 2 springs to three springs in mid 1986. At the same time they switched the placement of the Sheepsfoot and Spey blades as seen in this photo. The knife with the Sheepsfoot on the same pivot as the Clip is before the change (two springs) and the other knife is after the change (three springs).

I wanted one of each of the 1986's because I found the change interesting since it happened mid year.
Attachments
IMG_1845.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Very nice Rick. ::tu:: That's good information, I was not aware of that change. :)

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

I think the 317 is a pretty good one to collect.
Buck317.jpg
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Jerry told you right. My advice I'd pick a Buck model or two (as the other gents have advised) that really appealed to YOU - then concentrate on those, learn the details (join BCCI - its cheap), collect the nuances, etc. I like the 300 series, the 110 Folding Hunter, and the 100 series fixed blades. I like to pick up blade steel variations and manufacturing changes. It really boils down to what appeals to you - once you own them they become difficult to move in mass at what you paid. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
OleBuck

Post by OleBuck »

Chayes wrote:.... This is an addition to a limited edition Vanguard that I purchased in the 80's.....
You probably meant to say 90's... the Vanguard was introduced in the 1991 catalog and hit the stores in the fall of that year..... /OB
Bucksway

Post by Bucksway »

I collect rare , odd ,1 of 1 and prototype Buck 112's. I love special project and award 1112's too. Buck is a different kind of knive company. For one they truly love and support the folks that collect them. This is shown in many different ways ,from making BCCI members only issues and super deals on rare build outs and limted runs Buck brings to Atlanta every year to the Blade show (The Big Meeting of the BCCI ) to simple things like email notifications of special Web only sales. Buck just made a limited run of 46 very special 112's. .Nickel Silver, Cherrywood bolsters and most importantly a S35VN blade..Well under 100.00 too. It sold out in 2 1/2 hours! I got one of them. In 2014 Chuck Buck picked up the check for around 50 BCCI members in Atlanta at a dinner after the big meeting on Saturday. .Things like that. More importantly to me is the fact that everyone at Buck I've ever met would take time to look at your display or the knife in your pocket for that matter and talk to you. That's why I joined the BCCI in 2006 on my first trip to Atlanta and became LM 1209 the next year. What you choose to collect doesn't have to be expensive because really it's about the thrill of the hunt and in the case of Buck the fellowship and friends you make with your fellow 'Buck Nuts '.....
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

Just scored the Buck 826 Statue of Liberty. Waiting for it to arrive.
Attachments
Buck.jpg
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

"Collect what you like" are sage words. Collecting is a subject that has many directions. Some collect just one model such as 110's. Some collect only straight knives and some collect only ivory or pearl scale knives. These are just examples of collections. Some people just collect something because they like the look and some have to have every model ever produced.
I started slow but quickly went to trying to collect every 300 series ever made. But several years ago I knew I would never get every single model and gave up. I have some photos of some I will never own and collect those to have instead.
Collect what you like and if you want to make a complete collection start buying an example of everyone produced and try to get the special ones made as limited runs. There have been a couple I could have bought 25 years ago but didn't because I thought they were too expensive. Now I would have to pay three or four times that amount to own one, if I could even find one. There are only one or two I might get if I found them, but I actually have stopped looking.

If you are not a member of the Buck Collectors Club a E-membership is not expensive, you can look at what others collect and read articles on the various models. When you narrow in on your favorite(s) you can research them and have a better idea what to watch out for. You can also start talking to folks interested in the same models and build yourself a information network. Friends can be helpful in finding the rare knives, they may have a couple and sell you their third one.

300Bucks
Phaeton

Post by Phaeton »

Reference kossetx's photo of a chipflint folder with a buffalo inlay.
Knife is sharp but I do not carry it.
Buck Chipflint was a gift I never carry.JPG
kossetx

Post by kossetx »

Yep, That knife is sharp!
Where Bob Wills is still the King...
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I like it.
Woodly

Post by Woodly »

Wanted stolen Buck Centennial Dagger. Buffalo Horn handles with gold etchings. Serial #0030
Taken from a locked cabinet [gee I wonder how that happened?] at an antique/collectibles store in the Ithaca NY area. Cops wouldn't pursue it because of the value.
I still have the boxes and receipt from SMKW with my name on it.

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”