Why do Buck lockbacks just work better?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Why do Buck lockbacks just work better?

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I just bought a small Case Executive Lockback - it's about the same size as a Buck Knight, but all stainless steel and very thin. As soon as I got it out of the box, I noticed the lock requires a very deep and positive press to get it to disengage - almost a bit painful. I have seen the same thing on lockbacks from a few other mfrs. I have used Buck lockbacks for years, and I don't remember ever getting one that felt like this. The Buck locks are solid, yet also smooth and easy to disengage. I'm not a brand fanboi, and I own more non-Buck than Buck knives - but darn it, the Buck lock just works better than anything else I have! Why?
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
kootenay joe

Re: Why do Buck lockbacks just work better?

Post by kootenay joe »

The Schrade USA lockbacks (e.g. LB7, LB5) work extremely well. They rarely develop blade play and it is easy to depress the bar that releases the blade from the locked open position.
kj
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::dang:: I have a Buck 505 and it needs a hammer to unlock it.
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

I have two new Boker (Germany) folding hunters, high-dollar knives. One unlocks fine, like a Buck, but the other one -- I have to push it hard against the edge of a door or table or something until the lock lets go.

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”