Inverted Buck tang

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Inverted Buck tang

Post by garddogg56 »

On a 102 woodsman with leather spacers.what year do I have here? Thanx Bob ::handshake:: One thing ,the blade is longer than my three line 102 and has more of a sweeping profile.OR MAYBE it not a Woodsman at all ::shrug::
Attachments
IMG_0590.JPG
IMG_0591.JPG
image.jpg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Inverted Buck tang

Post by btrwtr »

It's a either a 5" 105 Pathfinder or 4 1/2" 118 Personal. 1968 or earlier. What is the blade length?
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

She is 4.5inches.I didn't know the 118 was that short.Doe that take the 105 out of contention?
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Definitely a Buck 118. Early knives have lots of variance due to lots of handwork by the craftsmen. Nice piece Dogg, very nice! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thanx OH ::handshake:: She'll see lots of belt time this fall :)
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Dogg, are you sure those are leather spacers? Usually leather spacers are much thicker than the ones on your knife - they appear to be red micarta, darkened with age. The one I own looks much like yours - this one is 1/16" shy of 4-1/2" and has red spacers darkened with age. OH
Ps The previous owner sent it to the Buck Spa, great investment of $6.95 - gleams like a new one.
Attachments
Buck 118 one-line with Buck Custom Sheath.jpg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
bertl

Post by bertl »

Here is my guess. I think the spacers are hard fiber. If that is the original sheath, I would date the knife as about 1964-1967. Micarta spacers didn't start until about 1969. The flapover sheath started in 1964. At some time in 1967, the tang stamp changed from "Buck" to "Buck*" and then in 1968 became "Buck/USA".

Bert
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thats a beauty OH it may be red marcata but the color is brown,I'd send her in but she's going to see lots of woods time my102 just doesn't do it for me and the 121 will be used for meat processing this 118 may fill a void :D thanks Bert ::handshake:: we believe the sheath too be original.

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”