Buck 110 3 dot Information Needed Please

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
vgann

Buck 110 3 dot Information Needed Please

Post by vgann »

Hello, I recently inherited a few knives and this is one of them. I hade a Knife maker look at this and informed me it was a limited Buck Knife that was only made between the 1980-1981 years with the 3 dot marks. I looked on the Buck website and it looked to confirm that. I also know it is the 440c but I am not sure what that is or what the exact value of it may be. He told me it was in about 80% shape which was pretty good for collectors but as I said I know some things but not much. Can some of you Buck guys help this Lady out please?
Attachments
knife 1.jpg
knife 2.jpg
knife 3.jpg
knife 4.jpg
Old Hunter

Re: Buck 110 3 dot Information Needed Please

Post by Old Hunter »

Welcome to AAPK and to the Buck Sub-Forum. Your knife is the standard Buck 110 as made for distribution and sale, it is not a limited edition. What does gives it collector interest is that it was only made with the three dot tang stamp for about one year (keep in mind every Buck Knife made since 1985 is only made one year with a given date stamp on the tang). 80% condition is not collector grade, but it is still a very good using knife. You can send the knife to Buck Knives Co (we call it the Buck Spa) with a $10 check and they will clean it (buff, polish, and resharpen the blade) - it will look much, much better for preserving (details are on the Buck Knife website). I doubt you would get much more than $40 for the knife in it's current condition (about what a new one costs now) and maybe another $10 for the original sheath if you have it (I'm assuming it's also used). You have a very good working knife there - my advice would be keep it as is, or send it to the Buck spa and then keep it. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
vgann

Post by vgann »

"Old Hunter" thank you for your reply, any information is appreciated.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I can see some type of inscription on the handle. It appears to say: "Jim Jr." or something close to that. As a general rule, people that buy knives to collect don't really like that kind of thing. As for a user knife, those folks don't care at all.

That is indeed a very good user knife. I think it's best kept for that purpose.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
vgann

Post by vgann »

Thank you both for the information.
kossetx

Post by kossetx »

I'm guessing the OP ain't going to be using it any time soon...that's just an uneducated guess now...
Where Bob Wills is still the King...
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

vgann wrote:Thank you both for the information.
Here's the reason we're telling you that your knife is best kept as a user:

You could always have that knife re-handled, then send it to Buck for a complete re-furbish job. That would make your knife a bit more interesting as a collectible.

The problem is, you would have to make enough money on that knife to cover the re-handle & re-furbish job. I doubt you would be able to make enough money on the sale of that knife to make it worth all that trouble. A re-handle job would cost you somewhere between $40-$50. Then you have to add in the cost of material, say a really good wood, and that could cost you between $30-$60.

Then you have to ship it to Buck, and then add the cost of shipping for all 3 of those things. So before you even list it for sale you've already invested around $100 into that knife. You would have to sell it for at least $125 plus shipping, and even then you would hardly make any money off of it.

The Buck 110 is lengendary as a tough, solid, well made working knife. And that's why we're telling you it's probably best to keep and use it, or sell it "As-Is" and see what you can get for it.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”