Buck 500 series

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Drukai

Buck 500 series

Post by Drukai »

Anyone have any production numbers or guesses on 500 series knives produced with Micarta handle covers? And which models they did with Micarta? I think it's a 503 my Dad has with brown/Burgundy Micarta it's so worn out the back lock doesn't hold under any pressure. I have always wanted a White Knight! But really want to get my Dad another 503. I have offered to send it into Buck but he sys it has a lot of sentimental value to him and doesn't want a new knife. Is their away to fix a worn lockbar? I don't even know if that is the knifes issue..any info greatly appreciated I really enjoi those old Script "Buck"s in Micarta mainly because that's what my Dad has always carried...Rant Over :lol:
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: Buck 500 series

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I have no answers for your questions, but I share your love of the Buck 506 White Knight. You do see them on ebay, but not very often, and when they do show up, they sell for a premium. Finding a good user under $40 can be challenging, and a mint 506 can go for $80+. That's a lot for a little sub 2" blade!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

I found my Buck 506 “White Knight” in a $5-knife bin... an unexpected surprise!

My grandmother bought me the 501 “Esquire” from Oshman’s Sporting Goods in early 1978 for my 14th birthday. (It came with a leather sheath, which is still in nice condition.)

The 503 “Prince” is another one I found, used. It’s so sleek, I enjoy slipping it into my jeans pocket and carrying it, many days.
Attachments
1BC958B3-DF1B-4BF6-90BC-E74FB68A2376.jpeg
bertl

Post by bertl »

I'm a big fan of the 500 series, especially the 501. I keep the early versions in a small box (8"Lx4"Wx3"H) that also has room for a top tray holding the early 700 series.

Bert
1 Box 10 copy.jpg
3 500s 43 copy.jpg
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

Wow, Bert!... Very cool, and a very nice group! ::tu::
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

Rather begin a new thread for my question, I decided to just continue here, since this has to do with the 500 series.

Here’s my question:

Did any early, Old English script 500s have micarta scales?

I came across this specimen, today. I think it’s a fair asking price. I know these aren’t commonly encountered -at least not in my neck of the woods.

Thanks for anything you can tell me about the “Duke.”
Attachments
0D28FC2A-7097-4D3F-AAC1-51C7244CDB9E.jpeg
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Old English tang stamps and Micarta scales were standard on the early 500 series knives. In the transition era wood laminate handles appeared but the tangs still had Old English stamps. There are other changes (nickel bolsters and stainless steel bolsters, as well as blade steel changes). OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

Thank you, OH

This one may just come home with me, today
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Ps It should come with a black leather sheath, similar to the Buck 110 sheath. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

Good to know, OH.

Unfortunately, it’s without box, papers, or sheath.
I walked away from it so, I could sleep on it. I don’t expect it will be scooped up too quick -it’s well hidden in a BIG store.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have a "Buck(script)/500/U.S.A. with burgundy Micarta and N/S(?) bolsters/caps and original black sheath, all never used.
What is the date range for this knife ? No date code so before 1986, but i'm sure it can be known more exactly.
thanks, kj
bertl

Post by bertl »

kootenay joe wrote:I have a "Buck(script)/500/U.S.A. with burgundy Micarta and N/S(?) bolsters/caps and original black sheath, all never used.
What is the date range for this knife ? No date code so before 1986, but i'm sure it can be known more exactly.
thanks, kj
Your knife dates from about 1979-1981 and the bolsters are stainless steel.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you bertl. Was 1979 the first of the 500's ?
Here is the knife & original sheath.
kj
Attachments
IMGP6020.JPG
IMGP6021.JPG
IMGP6022.JPG
IMGP6024.JPG
bertl

Post by bertl »

kootenay joe wrote:Thank you bertl. Was 1979 the first of the 500's ?
Here is the knife & original sheath.
kj
About 1979 might be better wording. Some of the first 500s may have been shipped in late 1978. The 500 was not the first of the series. Without checking my notes 1976 or 1977 may have been the first year for some models in the 500 series.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

There is a good article titled BUCK FOLDING KNIVES in the 2005 edition of BLADE'S Guide to Knives and their Values, I'm going to condense the 500 series information into the essentials here in a short paragraph. The article (by Vern Taylor, Joe Houser, and Larry Oden) states the 501 Esquire (known as the Squire since 1985) was first blueprinted in December 1973, but not shipped to dealers until February 1975 - this was the first knife in the Buck 500 series. The earliest of the Buck 501 Esquires featured integral stainless steel bolsters and liners and an exposed rocker rivet (the third rivet in the handle), the rocker rivet was covered by the handle beginning sometime in 1977. The second knife in the series, the 503 Prince, debuted in the March 1977 Buck Catalog. In 1978 the 500 Duke was introduced followed in 1979 by the 505 Knight and the 506 Lady Buck. The Lady Buck name was changed to White Knight in late 1979. Another version of the 505 was introduced in 1980; christened the 507 Ultima I, it featured mother of pearl inlays and a mirror polished blade. In the 1981 catalog the knives were first featured with impregnated birch handles, replacing the earlier Micarta handles. When introduced all of the knives featured 440C blade steel until sometime in 1982 when the change to 425MOD blade steel was phased in. In 1984-85 the tang stamps were changed from the Old English script (used since introduction) to the standard style BUCK in block letters. The changeover to 420HC blade steel was made during 1992. No exact date is given for the change to nickel-silver bolsters/liners, just that the change was made over time. OH
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Old Hunter ! This is what i like about Buck collecting: most of the answers are actually known but to become 'one who knows' you need to be devoted enough to spend a few years reading & collecting.
My knife above with script/micarta is from 1978/79 to 1980 because birch handles started 1981. This is a very specific narrow date range possible with many Buck folders. I think it makes Buck collecting very interesting, like trying to solve a knife 'puzzle'.
I just noticed that the 500 is the same length as the 112 but slender. Probably every bit as strong. I really like my Duke !
kj
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

kootenay joe wrote:Thank you Old Hunter ! This is what i like about Buck collecting: most of the answers are actually known but to become 'one who knows' you need to be devoted enough to spend a few years reading & collecting.
My knife above with script/micarta is from 1978/79 to 1980 because birch handles started 1981...
I really like my Duke !
kj
kj,
Very nice Duke you have and excellent pictures!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you. I have a fairly basic digital camera: 15 yr old Pentax Optio. I use a tripod and i think this helps a great deal in getting in focus pictures.
kj
Butch53pig

Post by Butch53pig »

Hello does anyone know anything about a 505 Malachite? Like how many where made. I'd appreciate any info. Thanks. Butch
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

I have a Buck Prince with micarta handles. 1st knife I ever owned. Carried it many years and retired it to my collection. They switched to a less desirable handle IMHO. If you want one, go to Buck’s website and click on custom shop. They will make one custom for you in your choice of handle materials. Cost you more but you can even get the 500 series with stag handles if you like and I’m pretty sure they will make you one with micarta which I always favored.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
OleBuck

Post by OleBuck »

Butch53pig wrote:Hello does anyone know anything about a 505 Malachite? Like how many where made. I'd appreciate any info. Thanks. Butch
The 505 Malachite was a limited edition knife offered in the 2001 general catalog.
The catalog did not list a quantity nor have I seen a number listed anywhere else.
Butch53pig

Post by Butch53pig »

Hi OleBuck, thanks for the reply! Since the time I asked about that knife I've become a member of Buck collectors club, Tony at Buck history urged me to and I'm glad I did, such a wealth of great info. Just recently I acquired a 503-SS2 red stone that's in the same catalog as the 505 malachite also found a 501 Grand Slam ivory micarta over run and a 2005 55 with the Idaho cut out in the blade. I've been Buck lucky this year! Dose anyone have an idea of the possible value of these 4 gems? Thanks to everyone that has helped me on this forum! Butch
Bucksway

Post by Bucksway »

My very first Buck was a 503 and it really did all I asked in a knife for many years. The wife snapped the blade trying to open a can of peas but since this was 20 years before I started collecting Bucks it was tossed in a junk drawer and lost. I collect 112's and in my research on early drop point I found Chuck himself and Leroy Reamer worked modified 500 blades into drop point 112's but for some reason it was many years later before Buck actually made a factory 112 DP.. The 500 IS one of Bucks best!
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Don’t know what year they changed from micarta to wood. I have a micarta I bought new in 1970. Carried it many years before I retired it to my collection. I prefer it to the wood handles they changed to.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

OSCAR wrote:Don’t know what year they changed from micarta to wood. I have a micarta I bought new in 1970. Carried it many years before I retired it to my collection. I prefer it to the wood handles they changed to.
Oscar, welcome to the Buck sub-forum. If you go back one page in this thread you will find the answer to when the change in handle material was made, as well as the date of the first production of the 501 (to include yours). OH

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”