4 Dot 110, My Latest Buck

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Bill-in-Texas

4 Dot 110, My Latest Buck

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

I understand this has the not-too-highly regarded 425M steel. However, I needed one to keep my 4 dot 112 company, and the price was right! ($15) ::groove::
Attachments
The “Before” Pic
The “Before” Pic
“After”... Just Took a Little TLC
“After”... Just Took a Little TLC
BWT

Re: 4 Dot 110, My Latest Buck

Post by BWT »

Good job Bill ::tu:: ::tu::
Bill
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Looks real nice Bill. Great job. Those Bucks are good "all around" knives. They seem to last forever. ::nod::

________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

Thanks, guys.

I enjoy coming across these old Bucks... in particular, the old 110s and 112s. I’ve been at it long enough to know that a few of the members here have REALLY done well on their respective quests. My modest group pales by comparison but I also know when I pick up a “new” addition, someone here can fill me in on the specifics. :D
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Bill, my opinion is the 425MOD is pretty good blade steel for a hunters knife; it takes an edge easier than the earlier 440C but lasts nearly as long, better by a little bit than 420HC. It’s a good working steel, not premium, but the only worn out ones I’ve seen are due to grinders, not game animals. Nice addition and nice clean up job. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

Old Hunter wrote:Bill, my opinion is the 425MOD is pretty good blade steel for a hunters knife; it takes an edge easier than the earlier 440C but lasts nearly as long, better by a little bit than 420HC. It’s a good working steel, not premium, but the only worn out ones I’ve seen are due to grinders, not game animals. Nice addition and nice clean up job. OH
Thank you for that info regarding the steel!

Fortunately, this example doesn’t appear to have been abused -save for not cleaning it after the last dressing.
It’s still tight, overall with good snap.

The seller came down from his sale price because of the crud all over it. I suspected it would clean up well and I may even send it in for spa treatment, at some point.

As always, I enjoy “the hunt” as much as “the kill.” ::nod::
Surface Crud Easily Came Off
Surface Crud Easily Came Off
Attachments
Destined to Be a Daily User!
Destined to Be a Daily User!
15693B4E-0C8C-4CB5-AE0E-A68456667372.jpeg
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Old Hunter wrote:Bill, my opinion is the 425MOD is pretty good blade steel for a hunters knife; it takes an edge easier than the earlier 440C but lasts nearly as long, better by a little bit than 420HC. It’s a good working steel, not premium, but the only worn out ones I’ve seen are due to grinders, not game animals. Nice addition and nice clean up job. OH
I agree whole-heartedly ::nod::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

OH,

I seem to recall seeing your early 4 dot having non-radiused edges.
If you still have a picture handy, please post here for reference sake. :)
It’s a beauty!
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I actually seek out the 425MOD Buck's. I like the steel that much for a hunters knife. Here is my Buck 110 from 1988 I used on a deer a few weeks ago. I used to sell Gold Bond Vinyl Siding in the mid to late 1980's. OH
Ps I will look for that picture - got a new computer last year and you cannot load from a thumb-drive onto it - all my old pictures from the previous computer are stored on the thumb-drive.
Attachments
Deboning doe with Buck 110 mfg 1988 on 10-25-18.jpg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

The Four Dot is between the 1988 (Gold Bond Vinyl Siding) and the Three Dot in this picture - my Four Dot is definitely the blocky version. OH
Attachments
Buck 110 1968-1988.jpg
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

I have a good example of a 4 dot that is used in deer season, but for me i prefer a 2 dot.
Attachments
image.jpg
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

garddogg56 wrote:I have a good example of a 4 dot that is used in deer season, but for me i prefer a 2 dot.
I like the 2 dots, as well... Mainly, because I like the old non-radiused handles found in the 1970s time frame. I know they’re not as ergonomic, but I think they just look cool. 8)
Of course, blade steel is probably the most important factor on a practical level.
Attachments
2 Dot Examples, Small Pin & Tang Stamp (top)
2 Dot Examples, Small Pin & Tang Stamp (top)
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

Old Hunter wrote:The Four Dot is between the 1988 (Gold Bond Vinyl Siding) and the Three Dot in this picture - my Four Dot is definitely the blocky version. OH
Very nice OH!

I have a similarly sized group... and, it keeps growing. ::nod::
Attachments
In Sequence, Except for Blade on Auto
In Sequence, Except for Blade on Auto
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Nice groups guys ::nod:: can't get enough of them lockbacks