New 1989 buck 303 red stag handle

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Lakelife

New 1989 buck 303 red stag handle

Post by Lakelife »

I have this new 1989 buck 303 knife that I think is red stag handles. I can only find 1 it was on ebay used and they said rare knive with red stag handles . I don't know for sure about mine but it is different . I was just looking for information about this knife. Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you and Merry Christmas.
Attachments
20181129_190012.jpg
20181129_190032.jpg
bertl

Re: New 1989 buck 303 red stag handle

Post by bertl »

That may be bone instead of stag. Buck did jigged and dyed bone at that time. Here is a jigged red bone from 1987. It is stamped prototype.

Bert
303 jigged red bone 1987 Prototype.jpg
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Hi Bert:

I'm certainly no expert on Buck, but based only on your two photos, the original knife appears to have Delrin handles. Without seeing that knife in person I can only speculate, however, they do appear to be Delrin.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Lakelife

Post by Lakelife »

Yea . Thanks for the information. I have to do more checking . It may not be stag ot bone thanks . Merry Christmas
Lakelife

Post by Lakelife »

Yea . Thanks for the information. I have to do more checking . It may not be stag ot bone thanks . Merry Christmas
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Those knives as pictured by Lakelife, were jigged red bone; Buck made no jigged synthetic I’m aware of. They did offer smooth and saw cut red synthetic. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

I looked in all my spots. Brown bones have no spring rivet showing. The nearest color of the knife in the photo is a brown jigged bone special with limited edition disc in place of the regular Buck knife, bolt and hammer. But they have silver scale and spring rivets. The red bone sets of the late 80's era had a brass spring rivet only, as does the photo knife. I believe from the provided photo it is a dark red jigged bone.
You must be careful in drawing a conclusion on a older knife by one item. I believe the knife shown is from the redbone series but with darker scales. With very bright photo lights the edges may lighten up. Heavy oiling can also darken a jigged cow bone scale. All my examples were " more reddish".
Over the production of several thousand of the small folders Buck could easily vary the bone scale colors easily. Bone scales were contracted to other producers and in a box of ten thousand cow bone scales some would take on a darker hue when dyed than others. Add up several things to find what knife you have expecially on models over 25 years old. 300Bucks
Lakelife

Post by Lakelife »

::tu:: ::tu:: thank you I really appreciate all of your knowledge of knives. You all are a great help
Lakelife

Post by Lakelife »

I heard back from buck today 300 was right
Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot_20190104-184930_Email.jpg

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”