Where is 100 series fixed blade history on AAPK?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Modern Slip Joints

Where is 100 series fixed blade history on AAPK?

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

The 121 is my favorite 100 series because it is the only one that I know of that was made from thin steel. I believe a greedy knife dealer at a gun show tried to feed me a line of B.S. about his over priced "rare" 121 a couple days ago. That got me interested in the dates 121s were cataloged. My guess is the majority of people reading this sub-forum own one or more 100 series fixed blades and would appreciate having their history available.

The dates for 300 series slip joints were posted a few days ago but not in a location that will be easily found in the future. Adding a BUCK RELATED RESEARCH TOPICS & RESOURCES area similar to the ones for other brands would make a good place to start accumulating this type of information.
bertl

Re: Where is 100 series fixed blade history on AAPK?

Post by bertl »

If you use a search you can find a lot of information. Here is a thread for the 300 Series. I'm not sure there is a summary for the 100 Series on AAPK. Join the collectors club where you can look at the archives of model history articles and newsletters.

Bert

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=45192
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I have a fondness for the Buck 100 Series myself, I do not have an extensive collection, but I do have a decent collection of working knives in this series. The Buck 121 has quite a few blade variations, the old Fisherman variations being thin (as in filet knife thin) and the later Buck 121 Guide being almost a Buck 105 (but not quite). I like both for different uses - but I like the thin blades for their design purpose. OH
Attachments
Buck 100 series poster.jpg
Buck 121 - Flounder.jpg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

I did not know 121 blades were thicker in their later years. I know of a few early thin 121s that were mis-appropriated by wives for kitchen duty. That speaks to how much better slicers they are then the rest of the 100s. I could not find the 121 on Buck's website so apparently it is out of production. That's too bad.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

The 121 and the 118 come and go on a fairly regular basis. The 121 today is known as the guide when they make some up. I measured the blade thickness on several a couple of years ago, but I am so upside down and backwards since our move late last fall that I don't know if I'll ever get it all together again - can't find the info now. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”