New to forum Buck knife adventures

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
fredswartz

New to forum Buck knife adventures

Post by fredswartz »

Hi,

I am a senior citizen 77 years old and have been collecting, using, buying and selling knives, guns and watches for years. Have owned most every common Buck since the first was introduced. That SS three blade
stockman was a revelation.

Lately I got the desire for a 503 Prince as the last one I owned wore a hole in my pocket and was lost. I found the store on this site and bought a pristine NOS knife in the box with instructions made in the mid nineties from Mr. Kennedy. Due to an error I also had bid on a 2005 similar knife on E auction and of all things won it. I am hesitant to buy new Buck knives due to reviews pertaining to workmanship, fit and finish and polishing grit in the joints. I may buy one just to see.

Anyway the 503 won at auction was NOS, has a super sharp blade (but with courser grind marks) and is near perfect except for one scale which has rough finishing with hills and ridges, saw-like marks and two dark dents near an edge. I am working these imperfections out because I really like the knife.

In the meantime decided that I needed a 505 Knight. All normal ones from the store on this site were gone so I went to the E auction site and thought that I had found a great knife etc. later discovered that the knife came in a yellow box but probably not original and no papers. The scales appear to be a charcoal composite instead of wood. Knife looks to be pre-symbol dated and NOS. It is a special issue with ProRodeo etched on the blade. More checking found that the vender must have bought out either a portion of Buck’s past inventory or maybe all of it as he has hundreds of NOS Buck knives, accessories, etc. listed for sale.

The new knife is being shipped and will be interesting to see what I get.

Love this website.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: New to forum Buck knife adventures

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK. Please post pictures when you have the knives in hand.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
fredswartz

Post by fredswartz »

New 505.
Attachments
New knife ordered.
New knife ordered.
kossetx

Post by kossetx »

Howdy Fred, and welcome. While Buck isn't flawless, they still make a fine knife. I have almost 0 complaints with their off the shelf knives. Customs, a little more. Enjoy your new knives, pete
Where Bob Wills is still the King...
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Welcome Fred, glad to have you - we love Bucks and lovers of Bucks here! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
fredswartz

Post by fredswartz »

Two 503’s. One perfect and one with refurbished RH
scales.
Attachments
0A007F51-32DD-402A-AF7C-B17A1C89C51D.jpeg
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Nice Buck 503's you've got there. Here are mine, essentially one of each from the early 1980's, all have the early OLDE ENGLISH script letters "BUCK" and three have the early deep red Micarta handles, the 503 Dallman Construction knife is an early example with a wood laminate handle. OH
Attachments
Buck 500 Series - 1980's.jpg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Bucksway

Post by Bucksway »

My very first Buck was a 503 Prince and was the only knife I had..My wife KathyJo snapped off the blade opening a can of peas. I had no idea of Bucks warranty but kept the handle for years till one move it was gone. The 500's are surprisingly well suited for EDC use and disappear in the pocket. I started collecting 112's in 2007and become a life Member's of the BCCI in 2008. Buck makes just about every knife you might want..
fredswartz

Post by fredswartz »

Thanks for the great pics and feedback. Just trying to remember how many knives I have left stuck in trees after field dressing a deer and how many were Bucks.

The 505 came and looks like a piece of jewelry.
When buying the 505 I also bought a custom Buck walnut case for a 112. A beautiful piece of craftsmanship. I have never owned a 112 but have got a decent one
coming from eBay to restore. I plan to give it and the case to a family member once I get finished with it.

Great web site.
Attachments
70794348-4C9A-4815-AB2B-ACE56A21FB41.jpeg
CE29A961-4BC1-486C-9320-C284B214E2CC.jpeg
3068F127-A90F-4FDF-9F89-5867C9A24A95.jpeg
eveled

Post by eveled »

D419C6C5-AE66-40DF-BA12-418862FD07A9.jpeg
Welcome here is my Prince with some of its cousins. All in Cherrywood.
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Welcome to the forum
Bill-in-Texas

Post by Bill-in-Texas »

Welcome to the forum, Fred!

And, thank you and everyone else for the great pictures.

I rely on this site to reference different models from specific production periods so, pictures really help!
-I know I’m not alone. :D

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”