Is a Buck 293 legal in Washington?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Modern Slip Joints

Is a Buck 293 legal in Washington?

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Spring blade knives are illegal. This is the definition of a spring blade knife:

(2) "Spring blade knife" means any knife, including a prototype, model, or other sample, with a blade that is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement. A knife that contains a spring, detent, or other mechanism designed to create a bias toward closure of the blade and that requires physical exertion applied to the blade by hand, wrist, or arm to overcome the bias toward closure to assist in opening the knife is not a spring blade knife.

For those want to read additional sections this is a link to the Revised Code of Washington (RCW):
https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.250

Please explain your logic.
fergusontd

Re: Is a Buck 293 legal in Washington?

Post by fergusontd »

::hmm:: In Washington you need something to carry to protect yourself. Carry it anyway, the hell with them! ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Modern Slip Joints

Self defense is not the issue. In Washington it has been legal to openly carry a firearm since before statehood and our concealed handgun licenses have been shall issue since before I got mine in 1976. However, a concealed handgun license is not a concealed weapon license. Mine does not over ride local laws that forbid carrying legal knives.

The issue is whether it is legal to own or posses a Buck 293. They are for sale in a nationally popular big box store but that does not prove they are legal. For about a year one of the huge hardware store chains carried switch blades and knives with pictures on their blister packages that showed how to open them with a flick of the wrist. While the descriptions on their packaging promoted their use by construction workers and carpenters both types were clearly illegal under Washington law. This week they were no longer there. Even though most police departments have higher priorities to spend their man power on I do not want an illegal knife.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

My logic - if you are worried about it ask your local District Attorney. My advice might or might not get you locked up. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Old Hunter wrote:My logic - if you are worried about it ask your local District Attorney. My advice might or might not get you locked up. OH
Show em' a video!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
eveled

Post by eveled »

Best to steer clear of anything close to illegal. Always leave yourself in a defensible position.
Modern Slip Joints

eveled wrote:Best to steer clear of anything close to illegal. Always leave yourself in a defensible position.
While I had hopped for a definitive answer eveled's advise looks like my best option. Over the summer I can keep my tomatoes tied up with an old fashioned knife.

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”