BUCK KNIFE - UNKNOWN ORIGIN

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

BUCK KNIFE - UNKNOWN ORIGIN

Post by KLJ77 »

Good day, all...

This is the email I sent to Buck (counterfeit & historian dept.), in hopes their expertise can provide info regarding this alleged "Buck" knife. Hopefully, I added the photos properly and they'll show up below. ::shrug:: Give a shout out if this knife looks familiar to you, or if you just want to comment...positive or negative.

"Greetings Sir(s),

First, thank you for any time you take from your busy day to assist in identifying this knife and to determine whether it is a counterfeit or if I’ve come across a nice vintage Buck knife. The only thing that throws me off is the “TAIWAN” stamp. This made me suspect, although I recall reading at one time that Buck did have some knives made in Taiwan. I just don’t know if this is one of them.

The knife itself is in excellent condition and doesn’t appear to have ever been sharpened or carried. As far as I know, the nylon sheath is the original sheath the knife came with and has a plastic insert the knife fits in. This knife was obtained from an estate sale two days ago. The wood appears to be either Cherry or Rosewood. I could be wrong and you will probably know more about that than me. The brass guard appears to have been secured on both sides by a ‘barrel nut’ process instead of being pinned. Of course, I could be way off base on this. Again, you’ll know to clarify this one way or the other.

There are a couple of age marks on the brass guard and will not come off. I have not tried to polish them out. Also, the Buck medallion on the wood scales appears to be slightly angled and the wording not level. Other than these, I don’t see anything else wrong. This knife appears to have the Buck quality. All lines are smooth and flush along the wood and tang, with no dents, scratches or mars. The brass ‘pins’ on both sides of the wood handle are bright and shiny…but the shadows from the pics taken make them look like they’re corroded or stained. Bad photos on my part.

Thank you once again, Gentlemen, for your time and expertise in assisting this Buck knife collector in identifying this knife…good or bad.

Respectfully,"
Attachments
DSCF1569.jpg
DSCF1571.jpg
DSCF1573.jpg
DSCF1577.jpg
DSCF1590.jpg
DSCF1591.jpg
DSCF1592.jpg
DSCF1595.jpg
DSCF1596.jpg
DSCF1583.jpg
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
jmh58

Re: BUCK KNIFE - UNKNOWN ORIGIN

Post by jmh58 »

Interesting.. ::hmm:: Keep us posted... ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It could be an authorized Buck contract knife and it certainly is an attractive knife with a not attractive sheath. The Buck collectors i know only collect USA made Bucks, so it is not a high value knife regardless.
kj
OleBuck

Post by OleBuck »

It's a model 727 "Battling Bucks" knife. It was the 2003 WalMart Christmas issue in a fancy tin with two "Battling Bucks" on the lid.
I think the original price was about $20. First time I saw one I thought it was a fake.
I just searched "Buck 727" on ebay and there were 7 hits if you want to see what the tin looked like.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

OleBuck wrote:It's a model 727 "Battling Bucks" knife. It was the 2003 WalMart Christmas issue in a fancy tin with two "Battling Bucks" on the lid.
I think the original price was about $20. First time I saw one I thought it was a fake.
I just searched "Buck 727" on ebay and there were 7 hits if you want to see what the tin looked like.
Well, just look at that. ::tu:: Mystery solved. I appreciate the information and your time to post this. At least now I know that I have a nice fancy Buck letter opener. ::groove::

Thanks, OleBuck ::tu::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”