BUCK Alpha Hunter Folder w/No Model Stamp??

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

BUCK Alpha Hunter Folder w/No Model Stamp??

Post by KLJ77 »

This Alpha Hunter doesn't have a model stamp, and only "USA" and the Anvil stamp. I'm sure it's at 2002, due to the Anvil stamp. Not sure if this was a limited edition, or a pre-production run prior to the 277 in 2002/2003. I've never seen this type of Alpha that didnt' have the model stamp on it.

Appreciate any additional info on this, if anyone knows. TIA...

LJ

Update on this Alpha Hunter: According to Buck, this Alpha Hunter folder was produced as a "run up" or a pre-production run prior to the 277 and the 2003 277T. The blade on my shown folder is 420HC. At the time of this production, Buck had yet to name it the 277. It appears that these were only provided to Buck Dealers to see how they would be received by the consumer, but I cannot substantiate that, so will not be dogmatic on that statement. I suspect that I am fortunate to have picked this folder up, because it appears to be a 'rare', if you will, run up to the production of the 277 in 2002/2003 and up through 2014.

All 277T's were made w/ ATS-34 steel through 2005. From 2006-2012, they were made w/154CM steel. From 2013-2014, they were made w/S30V steel. This info is based on BCCI price listings for those years. I believe Buck stopped making the 277 in 2014, for I cannot find them listed after that year. The 279 plain blade is still made.

Anyway...Thank you to all who took the time to view, and to those who commented. I appreciate it. I guess I should have researched this more before posting, but at the time, I was literally 'stumped' on any further info and thought possibly someone here may know. Well, I suppose now, we all know. ::groove::
Attachments
ALPHA HUNTER.jpg
ALPHA HUNTER 2.jpg
ALPHA HUNTER 3.jpg
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
XX Case XX

Re: BUCK Alpha Hunter Folder w/No Model Stamp??

Post by XX Case XX »

KLJ77 wrote:Appreciate any additional info on this, if anyone knows.
I pulled out one of mine to see if it was like yours but it has the model stamp of "277" on it. I wonder if yours was made like that only in a certain year. Interesting to say the least.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Yep, Mike...I have the 277T model from 2003. I believe the one posted is 2002. It could be a 100 year anniversary type build. ::shrug::

Appreciate you looking though. I'll keep searching on this. Someone out there knows something about it. I've scoured the net and many other different blade sites, but to no avail. I may have to contact Buck on this one.

R~

LJ
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I've seen tang stamps with the Buck "Anvil" on the stamp, but all those have the number "50" inside celebrating 50 years. Yours doesn't have that 50 and that's what makes it so puzzling. I'm going to keep searching for an answer because now I want to know. ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

The plain anvil was used instead of model numbers on all knives for the year 2002 only. "Custom" made knives still use the anvil mark stamp.

The anvil with the "50" inside of it and 'USA' was used on the initial production of the 110 50th anniversary features anvil only blade stamp.

The "BUCK USA" w/the '50' anvil are also used for the 110.
LJ

kossetx

Post by kossetx »

In the late 90's/early 00's there were several knives with no model number. I heave several 475 that are like that. Not saying that is the reason yours is like that, but it happened. If this pic shows up and you zoom in you'll see that. No custom stamp on some too.
Attachments
image.jpg
Where Bob Wills is still the King...

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”