300s and such.

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Gettingaboutthattime

300s and such.

Post by Gettingaboutthattime »

I can’t remember the first one, but I remember a lot of them. The Buck 300 series had a huge impact on my childhood.

The black plastic saw cut jig worn smooth from pocket carry, three stainless blades sharpened and abused to an almost unusable state and yet there they were, still in service. It seemed like every gunsmith my grandfather used to shoot the breeze with at any of the half dozen gun shops we visited on a given day used a Buck 303 cadet. I remember one time seeing an old model 70 in a gun vice with a Buck 303 opened and ready for use laying next to the rest of the tools on the gunsmith’s counter, my stare at the knife must have caused the smith some concern as he eventually closed the main blade and slipped it back into his pocket before the work was even done, it wasn’t always a model 70, but it was always a Buck 303.

I’ve been thinking about why it seemed like those gunsmiths were so coordinated in their choice of pocket knife and all I have is a theory.

If you walked into the local hardware store and wanted a pocket knife, you had a nice selection of Case XX pocket knives to choose from, a few patterns dressed in a handful of colorful bone, or yellow delrin. If you walked into the gun store and wanted to pick up a knife, you were getting a Buck. It’s what they all sold in my neck of the woods. So I’d say those gunsmiths just used what they had available and they beat the snot out of their knives knowing a replacement was sitting in the display case just across the room.

As far as my family’s use of the 300 series I have to imagine it was the reputation Buck earned while out in the field with their 110 and all those fixed blades that resulted in brand trust and put a handful of 303s in the pocket of those mechanics, machinists and welders. Even if the early 300s were made by Schrade and Camillus, it was the Buck name that earned the initial purchase.

I would love to share the knives of each of my ancestors, but by now you can probably guess they are all still in use, either in the pocket of the man who picked it up at that local gun shop, or one of his offspring. I’ll have to share some of my recent acquisitions instead.

9F0DF8BB-3493-4015-82A8-641DB96CF7A3.jpeg
Attachments
CE70D12D-306B-420D-A1C0-D2DB4D35ABF5.jpeg
04D81464-A2D0-49DE-AE75-81B56A4CAC3C.jpeg
93A6786C-7779-4608-AC76-2644B07521FF.jpeg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 300s and such.

Post by jerryd6818 »

Very well written. You are quite the wordsmith. I'm impressed, if not with the knife, with your writing.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Gettingaboutthattime

My personal favorite of the 300 series might be the 311 slim trapper. It’s a pattern I lusted after for a long time before snagging a couple in the last few months. Of all the 300s I remember growing up I can only remember seeing the 311 a couple of times. It wasn’t family making use of the pattern though and maybe that’s why it took me awhile to get on board with tracking one down.

As I remember it, it was an older gentleman cutting some twine off a spool to use in tying down an old wormy chestnut table that he just bought off my grandfather, the piece didn’t quite fit in the back of his little car so he used the twine to secured it. The Spey blade “flashed” through the twine and into my memory.

The other time was along the banks of a small stream where one was used to clean a freshly caught trout. It happened so fast and so efficiently that you could tell it wasn’t just a pocket knife, but an extension of the man’s hand.
00E7C424-C683-4A2F-AFD6-9A5DBE69E30D.jpeg
3178817F-F18C-405E-ADE7-A76C3AA62FCA.jpeg
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Nice pictures, too! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Gettingaboutthattime

jerryd6818 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:38 pm Very well written. You are quite the wordsmith. I'm impressed, if not with the knife, with your writing.
That’s quite the compliment, thank you very much Jerry. Pocket knives have always been a time capsule for me, all it takes is a glance and a flood of memories rush back into view.
Gettingaboutthattime

Doc B wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:50 pm Nice pictures, too! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks Doc, I enjoy trying to show them in the best way I can.
Gettingaboutthattime

Now this is a Buck I wasn’t very familiar with, but when I saw it I had to have it. A 329 trapper in smooth yellow. No memories to go along with this one, but I’m hoping to change that for myself over time. The clip point comes to a precise point which will come in handy killing ticks this squirrel and deer season. When I get to my tree of choice, I clear my spot, sit down and open my pocket knife, it either sits on my lap for the duration of the hunt, or stuck in the ground in arms reach. I’ve killed a few hundred ticks on the pant leg of my jeans with a quick poke from a clip point. The yellow should help to keep me from losing it when I inevitably get too excited over a big fox squirrel and jump out of my seat.
030F4160-D687-48B4-BFF5-AB3DB6EAF314.jpeg
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

I have a few stockmans that I like a lot, but there's something about the 301 that stands out. Obviously the size, amount of brass, 3 springs instead of cramming it all in there with 2, but there is a texture about it that I like. I complain about the action being a little soft, but I still keep this thing on me a lot because it still feels great in hand. The blades are just plain pleasing to look at. I know the look is just the result of the manufacturing process, but they manage to come up with a look that's a little different than other makers. The blade isn't finely polished, I'm sure the "stone washed" look is just literally that...tumbling around in polishing stones. The grind is just that. It's ground, and much rougher than it is on my '80's 110. The extreme hollow grind curve might not be my favorite functionally, but it all goes together to make a beautiful knife.
Attachments
IMG_20200613_1142221.jpg
Gettingaboutthattime

EeDeCe wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:36 pm I have a few stockmans that I like a lot, but there's something about the 301 that stands out. Obviously the size, amount of brass, 3 springs instead of cramming it all in there with 2, but there is a texture about it that I like. I complain about the action being a little soft, but I still keep this thing on me a lot because it still feels great in hand. The blades are just plain pleasing to look at. I know the look is just the result of the manufacturing process, but they manage to come up with a look that's a little different than other makers. The blade isn't finely polished, I'm sure the "stone washed" look is just literally that...tumbling around in polishing stones. The grind is just that. It's ground, and much rougher than it is on my '80's 110. The extreme hollow grind curve might not be my favorite functionally, but it all goes together to make a beautiful knife.
As much history I feel that there is in the black plastic saw cut scales found on the 300 series, if I were to get one of the newer Buck made 301 stockmans, I would snag one just like this.

It’s funny that you mention the grinds and the blade finish, I often think a lot about why there isn’t more care put into “finishing” these knives. You know, polished blades, different scale options and all the other traits a collector looks for, but I think that’s part of the reason I appreciate these knives from Buck.

If I had to guess, when Buck decided to introduce the 300 series they weren’t looking to have skin in the collectible/safe queen game, they wanted their brand to have a more universal impact on its users. Don’t get me wrong, I love the fixed blades I’ve used while hunting and having a 110 in a sheath on my hip feels natural, but the ability to pull out a little 303 Cadet in public and get my quick cutting chore done without raising an eyebrow is not underrated.

I enjoy being able to get off work, grab my 22. and small game vest, heading to the woods without second thought of grabbing a different knife. I already have my 301, or 303 in my pocket and I know it will handle whatever I throw at it.
CHNeal

Post by CHNeal »

I have said repeatedly over the years the cadet is the perfect pocket knife. My first knife was a 303 and I’ve carried one for most days of the last 45 years. I’ve owned every version and variant at least once over the years of collecting well, over 200 of them. At one point I had 165 of them sitting on my dresser! I have since whittled down my collection by selling and giving away I guess 75 or so and now collect all for of the Buck contract stockman by the 303 will always be my pocket knife.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Great topic. My favorite (so far) of the 300 series is this 301 that was collectively designed by a few hundred members of another knife forum that I frequent. And one phenomenally helpful dealer. It's basically a 301 minus the Spey blade and third spring. Elk handle slabs, long pulls, and CPM-154 full flat ground blades.
IMG_5404.JPG
IMG_5405.JPG
IMG_5406.JPG
Awhile back I had an interest in the construction of the Black Sawcut Delrin 303 so I disassembled one to see how it was made. Here's a link to a post I made about it if anyone is interested. Long story short, you won't be losing the shield or handle slabs on a Black Sawcut 303.
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=63890&p=761725&hil ... ed#p761725
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I had a 303.
Buck 303-2.JPG
But I sent it to Elvis for modification.
Buck 303 Cadet Modified - Mark Open.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

I have most of the 300 Series, at least all of the model numbers, and also the SFO's of the 300 Series, but not all of the customs/specials and other related knives. Here is a photo of my SFO's, (Special Factory Orders). The #303 is of course one of my favorites, I carry one at least once a week either in my pocket or in a small #501 sheath, which fits the #303 perfectly. Thanks for posting a new 300 Series thread. Here is a link to a thread I started a few years back, it is now filled with all kinds of 300 Series info ad many great photos. The infamous 300bucks, (a renowned 300 Series expert), and other 300 Series gurus posted there, and most 300 Series historical info is posted there. viewtopic.php?f=53&t=45192
Attachments
1.jpg
BCCI Member #2863
marinaio61

Post by marinaio61 »

My oldest is a 321 Bird Knife from 1986, all my other 300's are 1999 and newer. Never did use the 321, gave up Pheasant hunting shortly after buying it and I don't like the blade for EDC.
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

marinaio61 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:31 pm My oldest is a 321 Bird Knife from 1986, all my other 300's are 1999 and newer. Never did use the 321, gave up Pheasant hunting shortly after buying it and I don't like the blade for EDC.
I once used a knife with a bird hook that was not Buck, (Schrade I think), but I felt it wasn't that much help so didn't use one again, (though I do have a #321 in my collection). My oldest 300 Series Buck knife is a 1966 #301 with lined bolsters made by Schrade, (first year of 300 Series production), The series was moved to Camillus for production from 1972 until 1986, due to warranty issues with Schrade-made knives. After 1986 all 300's were made in-house by Buck, (except that Camillus also made SFO's for Buck until Camillus went under in 2006). There were several models discontinued when Buck took over, but a few new models were added too.Your #321 would have been made by Camillus, and pinning down it's age is nearly impossible as it was made from '72-'86, and no 300 had a date stamp until after 1987. A few, like my first version #301, can be pinned to a specific date, but none of the other models can be precisely dated until after 1986. If your #321 has carbon springs it was likely made prior to 1986, Buck switched to SS springs by the end of the 70's, so if your springs have patina it is an earlier knife. According to my historical data the #321 was first listed in the Buck catalog in 1979, and last appeared in the ctalog in 1991, (back stock, they quit making them before that. I'll attach that handwritten document here too, tells the dates of all of the original #300 Series knives, compiled by a guy named Toffts who was supposedly the "official" historian of the #300 Series. It lists most the models but not all.

I'll post a 300 Series family photo here when I find that photo, meanwhile welcome to the world of Buck collecting, I'm sure it will soon become a passion. I am also attaching an advertisement from the mid 80's which shows the original 300 Series models, I used it as inspiration while I was assembling my collection.
Attachments
Buck 300-1985.jpg
Page 1 (2).jpg
BCCI Member #2863
marinaio61

Post by marinaio61 »

Based on that chart I can assume my 309 with a date code of 1999 was Buck USA not Camillus.
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

marinaio61 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:53 am Based on that chart I can assume my 309 with a date code of 1999 was Buck USA not Camillus.
Plus it has a date code, a different blade grind, and a short pull nick on the master blade. All 300's prior to that, (those made by Camillus), have a long pull.
BCCI Member #2863
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

What surprises me is that the Yachtsman was available twenty-five years (which meant it had to sell well to be able to be in the catalog that long), and people still treat it as a very rare, and expensive model.
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:46 am What surprises me is that the Yachtsman was available twenty-five years (which meant it had to sell well to be able to be in the catalog that long), and people still treat it as a very rare, and expensive model.
True, they are kind of pricey on the secondary market, but I think it has more of the "cool factor" going for it than some of the other models, that may explain it. They made a few handle versions of the #315 too. I've seen smooth white bone and stag so far, also smooth Yellow Delrin, but I think there are others out there. The #315 had a Camillus clone, the Camillus #96 Nautical Knife. It was the foundation for the #315 and was built on the same frame, I have one of those too. as well as the bolsterless #315.
BCCI Member #2863
Ole Joe Clark

Post by Ole Joe Clark »

Almost every time I visit this forum, which is chock full of information about knives and related items, I wind up going to my memory box (1964/65 Gerstner tool chest) and pulling out a knife or two, to see if I have this variation or that one.

Tonight I have my 301 Stockman and the 307 Wrangler out to compare notes with a tidbit of information concerning springs that have patina or not. The Stockman I bought new way back in the day, and carried it for years before retiring it back to the box and tool chest. The Wrangler was brought into the family a couple of years ago and doesn't look like it's ever been sharpened.

Always interesting, entertaining and informative.

Have a blessed day,

Leon
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

Wow, posts from past to near current date. I doubt anyone from past will read this post but lots of the photos shown were of Camillus made contract era 300''s. If it doesn't have a date code it generally wasn't put together in the Buck factory or had Buck steel and heat treating of blades. To have most of the Black Delrin scaled models up to say 1990, your going to need at least 56 in your box. Buck dropped production of the 309 and 305 last year. Use the search function to find out more info on 300's in this and that other knife forum.
300Bucks
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Railsplitter wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:38 pm Great topic. My favorite (so far) of the 300 series is this 301 that was collectively designed by a few hundred members of another knife forum that I frequent. And one phenomenally helpful dealer. It's basically a 301 minus the Spey blade and third spring. Elk handle slabs, long pulls, and CPM-154 full flat ground blades.

IMG_5404.JPG
IMG_5405.JPG
IMG_5406.JPG

Awhile back I had an interest in the construction of the Black Sawcut Delrin 303 so I disassembled one to see how it was made. Here's a link to a post I made about it if anyone is interested. Long story short, you won't be losing the shield or handle slabs on a Black Sawcut 303.
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=63890&p=761725&hil ... ed#p761725

That is one spectacular 301! ::tu:: I have a couple 301s but nothing like that one. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

1967redrider wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:00 am That is one spectacular 301! ::tu:: I have a couple 301s but nothing like that one. ::nod::
Thank you.
::handshake::
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

300Bucks wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:05 pm Wow, posts from past to near current date. I doubt anyone from past will read this post but lots of the photos shown were of Camillus made contract era 300''s. If it doesn't have a date code it generally wasn't put together in the Buck factory or had Buck steel and heat treating of blades. To have most of the Black Delrin scaled models up to say 1990, your going to need at least 56 in your box. Buck dropped production of the 309 and 305 last year. Use the search function to find out more info on 300's in this and that other knife forum.
300Bucks
Wow, he does still exist!! Welcome 300, so good to hear from you again. Bert has been taking us to school, and I hope you pipe in more often and give him a hand, (I try to but Bert inevitably has to step in and correct me, as you have done many times), but that's ok, I learn from it every single time. For those who don't know, Mr. 300bucks here is one of the 300 Series gurus who took me under his wing and helped me gather my collection, and as his handle states, he has over 300 Bucks, (or more), and also has a treasure trove of written history too. Pay attention newbies, listen to what he says because he is one of THE sources of 300 Series info, any post he makes about 300's is spot on and very educational. Welcome, welcome. I am still looking for "versions" as you told me I would, but I have all the model numbers covered, including the SFO's, but those versions go on forever and ever it seems.
BCCI Member #2863
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

Some late 300's made by Camillus , sold by Smokey Mountain Knife Works, were made with nail nics, not long pulls. Big Trappers, fish knives as examples. Cami.,, SMKWs got good friend naming rights from Buck, just not date codes.
Yachtsman had such a long life because Camillus was making them and were also marked with there own name. Buck Yachtsman were awarded to all Coast Guard Academy grads for several years and were sold in PX's all over the world. They were badges of honor for Boatswain Mates. For many years only they could carry them on board..

I'm still around just feel that Bert and a few others are finding info that I don't know and staying out of the way of progress.

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”