119 handle replacement.

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Chayes

119 handle replacement.

Post by Chayes »

I sent my 119 in to Buck and requested a handle replacement. I was notified by email that the handles on fixed blade knives are not replaceable. The PO evidently damaged the original handle and used body putty to fashion a new one. I would really like to have the handle replaced, perhaps with a stacked leather. Is there anyone one this forum who does knife repair and could give me a quote to do the work? I plan on posting to the general knife forum for additional views. You can PM me for a qoute or additional information.
Attachments
20200625_121804.jpg
Gunsil

Re: 119 handle replacement.

Post by Gunsil »

Like I said when you first talked about "restoring" this knife it is a pain to get the pommels off and back on those bucks without damaging them. Still cheaper to buy a nice one and donate that one to somebody else who doesn't care about cosmetics.
Chayes

Post by Chayes »

Thanks Gunsil, I may have to do that but I'm attached to this knife and can't really see buying another just to let this one sit in a drawer but I do see your logic.
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

That would be a pain to get the body putty off. If it were mine. I'd clean it up, polish the blade and aluminum and sand the Bondo, filling in the crevices until it was perfectly smooth. Then I'd mask it off and spray paint it. Any color you want. You could even use Talon Grips that are made for pistol grips to put a non slip surface on in. Use your imagination and make it your own.
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

Trying to not start something negative here but this 119 looks like it has already had the handle off. The micarta spacers, and for that matter the aluminum spacers have been damaged. I doubt the post office damaged the handle scales. Buck has no answer for you because the nature of the damage/changes are not covered under there factory issued condition of warranty. Nor do they do custom work outside of the models offered in the c
Custom Shop.

As suggested, if you wish to go to the trouble to rehab because it has special value to you then you will need to go to a knife craftsman and have a custom handle installed. Some are listed in this forum or other forums. One of the well known rehabbers and custom builders of Buck Knives is Triple R Knives in CA, he was a worker in the Buck Custom shop before retiring and has a small well trained staff that works with him. He has a E-mail address.

If this is a knife special to you then leave it alone, but if you want one to use accept it for what it is or buy a new one.

300Bucks
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

300Bucks wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:57 pm Trying to not start something negative here but this 119 looks like it has already had the handle off. The micarta spacers, and for that matter the aluminum spacers have been damaged. I doubt the post office damaged the handle scales. Buck has no answer for you because the nature of the damage/changes are not covered under there factory issued condition of warranty. Nor do they do custom work outside of the models offered in the c
Custom Shop.

As suggested, if you wish to go to the trouble to rehab because it has special value to you then you will need to go to a knife craftsman and have a custom handle installed. Some are listed in this forum or other forums. One of the well known rehabbers and custom builders of Buck Knives is Triple R Knives in CA, he was a worker in the Buck Custom shop before retiring and has a small well trained staff that works with him. He has a E-mail address.

If this is a knife special to you then leave it alone, but if you want one to use accept it for what it is or buy a new one.

300Bucks
Not mean8ng to butt in.
I'm pretty sure "PO" means previous owner.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Captain O

Post by Captain O »

If you treasure this Buck (and it appears that you do) I would consider talking to Bill DeShivs. The man is an expert craftsman when it comes to automatic knives. If he doesn't want to do the work, Bill may be able to point you in the proper direction.

Good luck
eveled

Post by eveled »

0175BF5B-B595-48DA-AE6B-2DF3A4588B14.jpeg
Only 3 of these came from Buck with stag, so there is definitely potential. The others all came from eBay. No idea who did them. Just figured I’d wet your appetite for some stag.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

eveled wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:35 am 0175BF5B-B595-48DA-AE6B-2DF3A4588B14.jpeg

Only 3 of these came from Buck with stag, so there is definitely potential. The others all came from eBay. No idea who did them. Just figured I’d wet your appetite for some stag.
::tu:: 8) ::tu:: Real nice line-up!!!
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”