Have to ask the Buck guys ...

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Lansky1

Have to ask the Buck guys ...

Post by Lansky1 »

I've never been much of a Buck guy mainly because of the limited side material choices used on their USA traditional folders - seems 99% of the non-custom bucks I see are either wood or plastic sided. I know Buck is known as more of a working man's knife ... but has Buck historically ever done much on their traditionals with jigged bone ?
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
bertl

Re: Have to ask the Buck guys ...

Post by bertl »

Pretty much all of the 300 series knives have been offered with jigged slabs at one time or another.

Bert
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

bertl wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:34 pm Pretty much all of the 300 series knives have been offered with jigged slabs at one time or another.

Bert
Thanks Bert - I've never seen one of these bone sided 300's like you referenced ... thx for responding. EDIT ... boy, those bone sided 300 series must have a devoted following ... seems they were all made in the early 90's & minty ones bring top dollar (very nice jigging on them)!
s-l1600.jpg
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Lansky1 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:55 pm has Buck historically ever done much on their traditionals with jigged bone ?
In my experience, not much. They've done a few. But here's the good thing John: If Buck has only done a few with jigged bone, that means the numbers are low, not like Case where they make a million of the same thing every year.

That, to me, would make it fun to search for and start a collection of only the ones they made with bone or wood handles. And those would most likely all be USA made.

For me, that's a "win-win".

LATE ENTRY: I just went on eBay and found several jigged bone Bucks made in China so maybe not. But, that means the USA Made ones would be even scarcer and more valuable (to a point) to Buck guys.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

The red jigged bone 300 series are the Bomb! I keep my eyes open at pawnshops, antique malls, etc. for one. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I remember reading the reason most of the 30X series was recently discontinued was that the line was in the process of a retool. So far, I haven't' seen anything yet. Maybe bone will be more common then.
EeDeCe

Post by EeDeCe »

cody6268 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:59 pm I remember reading the reason most of the 30X series was recently discontinued was that the line was in the process of a retool. So far, I haven't' seen anything yet. Maybe bone will be more common then.
That’s very interesting news. Maybe they’re fixing the lack of engagement with the springs on the 301. There may be another one in my future! Would be nice to get the new ebony on it.
Bucksway

Post by Bucksway »

A alternative would be to just have one made. Leroy Reamer and many others would be glad to make it. You end up with a true 1 of 1 and the cost might be less than a bidding war on Ebay. Plus your choice is endless.
MadTrapper

Post by MadTrapper »

Lansky1 wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:55 pm I've never been much of a Buck guy mainly because of the limited side material choices used on their USA traditional folders - seems 99% of the non-custom bucks I see are either wood or plastic sided. I know Buck is known as more of a working man's knife ... but has Buck historically ever done much on their traditionals with jigged bone ?

Same with me Lansky1. I love Buck. I love the quality. I love the Made in the USA. I carried a 110 in the center of my backside way back when the Dukes of Hazard TV show made that fashionable. I'd have a 100 Buck knives by now if it weren't for the fact that the side materials are pretty much all the same. I believe that there's a whole lot more that Buck could do to change this but they never really seem to...

Just my 2 cents...

I just bought and rec'd a 112 from the Buck Custom shop. Nickel silver bolsters and red cherrywood sides. Sweet knife. The custom shop has become my way around the lack of variety in the standard fare.
"A knife is as personal and necessary a thing as a man ever owns." Bob Loveless
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: I have an off the shelf 301 with the plastic sawcut handles. It's a knife made for working not for show. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
bertl

Post by bertl »

Buck did do a pretty nice jigged bone set about 30 years ago.
Special Edition Redbone Set.jpg
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

That’s the set Bert, I keep my eyes open for those at gun shows, pawn shops, etc. Beautiful set. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
eveled

Post by eveled »

MadTrapper wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:17 pm
I just bought and rec'd a 112 from the Buck Custom shop. Nickel silver bolsters and red cherrywood sides. Sweet knife.
Nickel silver and cherrywood was the set up for “The Chaiman” series a while back. I collect CherryWood Buck knives so they were mandatory for me. There wasn’t ever a 112 in the set so I had to order one from the custom shop.
35A83165-87EF-4914-BDC8-52A6910D9B08.jpeg
D54D719D-6181-408C-BE2D-65741293A547.jpeg
29E5E637-12E5-4312-BC71-7483E04DFBFD.jpeg
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Schweeettt!! 🤩🤩
John ✌️
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

eveled wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:24 pm
MadTrapper wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:17 pm
I just bought and rec'd a 112 from the Buck Custom shop. Nickel silver bolsters and red cherrywood sides. Sweet knife.
Nickel silver and cherrywood was the set up for “The Chaiman” series a while back. I collect CherryWood Buck knives so they were mandatory for me. There wasn’t ever a 112 in the set so I had to order one from the custom shop. 35A83165-87EF-4914-BDC8-52A6910D9B08.jpegD54D719D-6181-408C-BE2D-65741293A547.jpeg29E5E637-12E5-4312-BC71-7483E04DFBFD.jpeg
That makes me see red! And I keep coming back to see it again and again. Beautiful and thanks for sharing. ::handshake::
eveled

Post by eveled »

Seeing red! Lol. I see what you did there.

Thanks for the kind words guys. It was a fun set to put together.

To bring it back around to the OP. There were some Bucks made with nice handles. But I do agree more jigged bone and stag would have been nice.
Azretired

Post by Azretired »

EeDeCe wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:47 pm
cody6268 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:59 pm I remember reading the reason most of the 30X series was recently discontinued was that the line was in the process of a retool. So far, I haven't' seen anything yet. Maybe bone will be more common then.
That’s very interesting news. Maybe they’re fixing the lack of engagement with the springs on the 301. There may be another one in my future! Would be nice to get the new ebony on it.
I have four 301 and three 303's none have and spring issues and all but 2 if the 301's are Buck made. What's this about "Lack of engagement with the springs" ?

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”