Buck 112 First Generation

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
pearlroosterman

Buck 112 First Generation

Post by pearlroosterman »

I am a longtime CaseXX and antique Remington collector but have owned a Buck 112 still mint in the box since 1972 or 73. It has black micarta scales and the tang stamp is upside down. Since I’ve owned the knife for so long I’m not interested in selling but would really like to know an approximate value? Thank you, John
John
pearlroosterman

Re: Buck 112 First Generation

1EE393E8-9D52-4BBC-A098-3E834CF6B47A.jpeg
John
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

John,

From your short description, it appears you have one of the following 112's that fall into one of these categories/versions. You stated the stamp is 'inverted', and that the handles are black micarta, so I am assuming you have either Category 1 or 2, Version 1. Value wise is difficult to determine to an exact dollar worth. I recommend you do an ebay search on this knife for 'active' listings to see what the asking prices are, and also search the 'sold' listings under the advanced search to get a general idea what these year of 112's have sold for. From there, you can figure out a fair market value. The value of your knife will be whatever someone chooses to pay for it, not necessarily what you want for it.

Buck Ranger, Model 112 Timeline 1972 to 1986

Category I, Inverted stamp: BUCK, U.S.A., May 1972
Version 1. Left hand stamp, brass spring holder, black micarta inlays, two small, (less than 1/16”) brass inlay rivets and stainless rocker rivet.
Version 2. Same as above except now a stainless spring holder.

Category II, Stamped BUCK, 112, U.S.A. 1972
Version 1. Left hand stamp, stainless spring holder, black micarta inlays, two brass inlay rivets and stainless rocker rivet.
Version 2. Same as above except inlays are Segua wood.
Version 3. Same as above except inlays are Macasar Ebony wood.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
pearlroosterman

Thank you LJ. I appreciate your input. I am not interested in selling the knife just wanted to get an idea of the value. I got the knife in 72 when I was 13. It still has the price tag, $18.00, actually high priced pocket knife for a kid back then. Thanks again. If you ever need info on antique Remington knives please let me know as that is more my area. I have collected knives since I was 9 years old, over 52 years and I amazed at how we continue to learn no matter how long we collect. It is also very pleasant to know our hobby is one where most everyone is willing to help others. 👍👍👍. John
John
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

You're welcome, John. Glad I could provide some insight. If I had your knife, I wouldn't want to sell it either. You have an awesome keepsake...especially when you've owned it since you were 13. I know you don't want to sell it...I was just giving some ideas as to getting a fair market value for today that you were asking about. Maybe you've already done that...so I hope I didn't insult your intellegiance. I would suspect that; if you were to theorectically put your knife on ebay, with it being in mint condition, original box & paperwork, it would more than likely sell for over $200.00. That's my guesstimate, anyway. You have a rare one with lots of personal sentimentality that is priceless.

Thanks for your offer of Remington info. I only have one set of Remington knives...no antiques or vintage ones. The one I have is a 2007 Remington Sportsman Series 3 knife set. Still in sealed wrapper in Walnut wood display box. Nothing fancy, but when I saw it at an estate sale, I liked it and grabbed it. Four other people wanted it when they saw that I had it, so I figured it was a discontinued set. I knew nothing about it when I picked it up.

Best Regards...
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

What is the "stainless spring holder" ? Spring pivot pin ?
kj
Tim174

Post by Tim174 »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:14 am What is the "stainless spring holder" ? Spring pivot pin ?
kj
Three micarta version Buck 112:
Category I, Inverted stamp: BUCK, U.S.A., May 1972
Version 1. Left hand stamp, brass spring holder, black micarta inlays, two small, (less than 1/16”) brass inlay rivets and stainless rocker rivet.
Version 2. Same as above except now a stainless spring holder.

Category II, Stamped BUCK, 112, U.S.A. 1972
Version 1. Left hand stamp, stainless spring holder, black micarta inlays, two brass inlay rivets and stainless rocker rivet.
Attachments
90F3532D-F4FE-48D2-B55D-7F48A8C37103.jpeg
3991656A-2B6A-48D1-B9BD-4F1A8E8562C8.jpeg
C4179191-581A-4227-803F-E4148DF84B86.jpeg
pearlroosterman

Tim174, thank you for the further clarification. Mine appears to be the same as the top version in your picture. Is that the first run in 1972? Also, how many 112 Bucks were made in that version? Again, very appreciative of everyone helping me with my Buck 112. John D.
John
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:14 am What is the "stainless spring holder" ? Spring pivot pin ?
kj
KJ...first photo depicts the spring holder.
Attachments
BUCK 110 CLEAR 3.jpg
BUCK 110 CLEAR 2.jpg
BUCK 110 CLEAR.jpg
LJ

Tim174

Post by Tim174 »

pearlroosterman wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:31 pm Tim174, thank you for the further clarification. Mine appears to be the same as the top version in your picture. Is that the first run in 1972? Also, how many 112 Bucks were made in that version? Again, very appreciative of everyone helping me with my Buck 112. John D.
Yes, you are right top knife on the photo is first run. Idk how many Buck 112 1st run was made but more rare versions are Category I Version 2 and category II Version I. Easy to find First run.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Nice 112 John.. What a keep sake!! ::tu:: ::nod:: ::tu::
And thanks for the 112 info.. ::handshake::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
pearlroosterman

I appreciate everyone for helping me learn more about 112. I have and always will cherish the little knife. I do need to tell the true story of how I received the knife. It was an $18 knife in 1972 but how I got it is a bit different. I grew up as the son of a marine dealer. My parents had a boat and motor sales store with a repair shop. I started working in the shop at age 12 when I gave up my paper boy job. Back then salesmen would come by selling parts , accessories etc. A fellow that sold nuts and bolts as well as wire and connectors knew I loved knives so he showed up one day with that 112 and told me if I would place an order for at least $500 I would qualify for the Buck. I’ll cut this short but let me tell you $500 was a rather large sum of money back then and when my father learned how I had been duped into the salesman’s scam to buy all those nuts and bolts, well all I can say is it would have been much cheaper on me if I had just bought one out right........ I believe I was grounded for a month but I got to keep the 112......... 😳 sorry to ramble but it was apparent even back then that knives would be important to me for life. Lol.
John
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

LJ, thank you for showing me the "spring holder". I assume this is what allows the lockback release to function ? and so not found in slip joints.
kj
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:29 pm LJ, thank you for showing me the "spring holder". I assume this is what allows the lockback release to function ? and so not found in slip joints.
kj
Your'e welcome, KJ. Yes, that is correct, in that it allows the lock back to release upon pressing down on the release bar. Not sure if all lock back knives have the same style of mechanism, but that is Buck's design. I assume a spring holder is not found in slip joints, but to keep myself from digging a hole due to lack of slip joint knowledge, I'll stop at my assumption comment. ::facepalm::
LJ

Hideaway Knives

Post by Hideaway Knives »

^ Great pic I liked the design!
Bucksway

Post by Bucksway »

Just look at the end of the rear bolster and if it's all brass it's a V1-V1. The box ,paperwork and especially the shieth are valuable too. The very earliest shieth's were made with modified 500 leather shieth and will show a 500 stamp. Extremely rare and worth looking for. I have seen a V1-V2 also have the 500 modified shieth as early 112's have few hard and fast rules. But check that shieth!

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”