The Wyoming Cowboys

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Big Slice

The Wyoming Cowboys

Post by Big Slice »

I found this Buck Knife at a garage sale today. It is 229/250. I an interested in finding a little more history on the knife. Thank you for looking.
20CCA599-9B8E-4349-A474-75EFE2401D28.jpeg
6A52310A-FF68-43E4-B35D-6288179B3A57.jpeg
15398C7D-74AB-40E1-9DCB-8B67E1A4196A.jpeg
samb1955

Re: The Wyoming Cowboys

Post by samb1955 »

Can't help with any information but it sure is a looker!
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

This is a portion of the info provided for another knife like yours that was up for sale. Hope this helps some.

"This is a David Yellowhorse Buck Custom "The Wyoming Cowboys" Knife. Mint In Walnut Display Case. The knife is 4 ¼" long, closed. Custom made Buck USA made by David Yellowhorse. The custom handle features channeled inlays of turquoise, black jet, red coral, rosewood, and mother of pearl. It also has a nickel silver inlay of the "Rodeo Cowboy" in the handle. The brass worked bolsters a "Big WYO" on one end and the "COWBOYS" on the other end. This knife was produced to celebrate the WYOMING COWBOYS. There were only 250 of these knives produced."

It appears yours is #229 of 250.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1842736827
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
bertl

Post by bertl »

dlr110 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:03 am This is a portion of the info provided for another knife like yours that was up for sale. Hope this helps some.

"This is a David Yellowhorse Buck Custom "The Wyoming Cowboys" Knife. Mint In Walnut Display Case. The knife is 4 ¼" long, closed. Custom made Buck USA made by David Yellowhorse. The custom handle features channeled inlays of turquoise, black jet, red coral, rosewood, and mother of pearl. It also has a nickel silver inlay of the "Rodeo Cowboy" in the handle. The brass worked bolsters a "Big WYO" on one end and the "COWBOYS" on the other end. This knife was produced to celebrate the WYOMING COWBOYS. There were only 250 of these knives produced."

It appears yours is #229 of 250.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1842736827
The "Rodeo Cowboy" inlay is a registered trademark by the State of Wyoming, "Bucking Horse and Rider". It was trademarked in 1936 and has been on the license plates ever since. The athletic teams at the University are "The Wyoming Cowboys". Highway signs at the state line say "Welcome to Big Wyoming". I have attached a photo of a license plate. One minor criticism of the knife is that the Bucking Horse should have been a brass inlay instead of nickel silver—the school colors are brown and gold.

Bert
license plate.jpg
bertl

Post by bertl »

One more photo- the Bucking Horse is everywhere. This is a recent postcard for fund raising by the university. One other thing about Wyoming is that the wind blows. We had gusts of 85 here last night.
postcard UW.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

bertl, love your state! Especially the Tetons. ::handshake::
DSCN2762.JPG
A favorite road sign someone Wyomingised.
Jacknifeben

Post by Jacknifeben »

Is the knife for sale?
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Big Slice...you have picked up a VERY nice David Yellowhorse custom 110. I hope you got a GREAT deal on it. ::tu:: That one is a special collectible.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Big Slice

Post by Big Slice »

Thank you all for your help. Yes I did get a good deal.
Big Slice

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”