BUCK U.S.A. INVERTED TANG STAMP KNIFE

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

BUCK U.S.A. INVERTED TANG STAMP KNIFE

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

I see a lot of knives on "Flea-bay" that say "BUCK U.S.A. INVERTED TANG STAMP KNIFE" in the listing. Does the INVERTED TANG STAMP affect the vale of the KNIFE? Is there a reason for the INVERTED TANG STAMP? I have a had one or two Buck 110s with the INVERTED TANG STAMP in the past, so I am just curious if anyone out there has any information on on the subject.
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
Old Hunter

Re: BUCK U.S.A. INVERTED TANG STAMP KNIFE

Post by Old Hunter »

The Buck USA inverted tang stamp you are referencing is called a Two-Line, Tip-Down stamp. It was present on the 100 series fixed blade knives and on the 110 Folding Hunter. This tang stamp was used roughly from 1967 into 1971, (previous to that the tang stamp was simply the word BUCK). In 1967 Buck Knives began selling knives in Canada and added the USA under the name BUCK. In 1971 the third line was added, the model numbers - these ran about one year and are referred to as Three-Line, Tip Down tang stamps. In 1972 the stamp was reversed and is known as the Three-Line, Tip Up tang stamp - it lasted until 1986. These changes were roughly phased in on the timeline I mentioned - there is some overlap and different models changed before others (stock on hand dependent). Along with this are differences in color and material of spacers on the fixed blade knives and blade stamp dots, handle rivet patterns and other parts on the Folding Hunter. OH
Ps Top picture illustrates One-Line, Two-Line, and Three-Line Tip-Down tang stamps. Second picture illustrates two Buck model 105 Pathfinders with Three-Line Tip-Up tang stamps. The bottom photo illustrates differences in the 110 Folding Hunter with the oldest knife on the right (Two-Line, Tip-Down) then No Dot, Two Dots, Three Dots, and Four Dots, all Tip Up. Finally an early (1988) Buck 110 with a unique date code assigned to each year beginning in 1986.
Attachments
Buck Knives - Tip Down.jpg
Buck 105 Pathfinder 2014 & 1976.JPG
Buck 110 1968-1988.jpg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Ole Joe Clark

Post by Ole Joe Clark »

I've been trying to find out when my old Pathfinder was made. Bought it new way back in the 1960's I think. Was really hard to sharpen. It just has the word "BUCK" on it, with a little dot at the upper right end. I suspect it is a copyright registration symbol.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Have a blessed day,

Leon
Attachments
IMG_0133.JPG
IMG_0131.JPG
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Joe, no one is really sure what the dot was for except it signified some engineering change/upgrade in the process of manufacturing the knife. My pictured 105 Pathfinder (center knife in top picture) is very similar to yours in that it has the dot, it has a One-Line, Tip Down stamp, and the spacers look very similar and both have the pinned rear pommel (earlier ones were barrel nut assembly). My knife was bought by my cousin at the Camp Lejeune NC MCX in mid 1966, so that is a close guess to the date of yours. Close is as good as you can do with many old Buck Knives. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Old Hunter, thank you for the very clear explanation of these tang markings as well as for your pictures that show an example of each marking mentioned. Very helpful for those of us that don't know Buck in any depth.
kj
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

KJ, it is my pleasure. I’ve enjoyed owning, using, and collecting Buck Knives since early 1973. You are welcome. OH
Ole Joe Clark

Post by Ole Joe Clark »

Thank you Old Hunter Sir. I had guessed somewhere around that time.

Have a blessed day,

Leon

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”