S30V and Auto Elite tang stamps

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
CamMan21

S30V and Auto Elite tang stamps

Post by CamMan21 »

Just got my 110 Auto Elite about a week ago.

I noticed the tang is etched and not stamped, which is kind of a disappointment. I’m curious, is this something specific to the model, or is it that all S30V blades are etched instead of stamped?

Anyway, I love the knife. Have read some online accounts of poor operating and spring strength, as well as sloppy blades. My blade is nice and tight and it operated well out of the box. Of course I added a coupon drops of oil and jammed it right up...haha. I flushed it with Mineral spirits, worked it a bit, and refreshed the oil and she opens with authority now 100% of the time. Mine will be a user...but I may buy another just to tuck away!
cody6268

Re: S30V and Auto Elite tang stamps

Post by cody6268 »

I think most of the non-standard steels are etched instead of stamped. Something about the steel being too hard for Buck's equipment.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

CamMan21 , I'd love to see a picture of your knife if you could post one.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
CamMan21

Post by CamMan21 »

philco wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:16 am CamMan21 , I'd love to see a picture of your knife if you could post one.

Sure...but the board isn't letting me use an IMG tag. Perhaps because I am a new member.

I believe these links will work:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/3796/WWXJAk.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/58/RCCU5M.jpg
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Both of these Buck's were built over the past few years, the Pro Hunter 110 has a S30V blade and is a standard production item, while the 212 Ranger has a 420HC blade but is a SFO. Both use an etch in lieu of a tang stamp. I don't care for it, but I still like the knives. OH
Attachments
Buck 110 Folding Hunter Pro (2).jpg
Buck 212 Ranger - 2019.jpg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
CamMan21

Post by CamMan21 »

Old Hunter wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:41 pm Both of these Buck's were built over the past few years, the Pro Hunter 110 has a S30V blade and is a standard production item, while the 212 Ranger has a 420HC blade but is a SFO. Both use an etch in lieu of a tang stamp. I don't care for it, but I still like the knives. OH
Thank you. Seems that's the way things are headed. No big deal I suppose, just a little "thing" that I also don't care for.

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”